THP Event Prep - Do you do it?

I work more on PPD and TPD
Posts per day and threads per day.
You down with PPD? Yeah you know me

I just want to have fun not turn golf into a job and grind. It is a balancing act that is for sure.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Two THP events for me so far and I have played more golf than I ever have leading into them, but in my short golf career having just finished my 4th season I can honestly say I want to play better every single day purely because of the love and desire of the game. Showing improvements in your game to friends and brethren at THP events is awesome but it isn't a driving force for me, my ever growing love for this game is what drives me to strive for better golf and this place and community helps me get there every step of the way!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm always trying to improve so nothing is really changing for me.

I am always practicing and trying to improve. When it's THP event time that does get ramped up a few notches.

I try to get better every time out, every shot, every round, every range session.

Come event time, I concentrate on putting (first and foremost), short approach shots with wedges, and chipping around the green. I do no more bunker prep than usual, no more long iron or hybrid work than usual. Driver - I need to hit a few right before the event to see what I have that day.

Fitness - I play golf, walk, hit the gym, nothing more or less than what I do any other time.

But, really, other than spending a bit more time putting, I do this type of work every time I "practice", as I always want to improve my game.

And, like others have mentioned, I like collecting HOF tags. That motivates me!!

I absolutely would. I want a HOF tag.

#TheGauntlet will be my first THP event, and I had already been working on my game prior to get selected for the event. That said, my weekly practice/play schedule consists of the following:

Monday: Short game/putting
Tuesday: Lesson
Wednesday: Full shots, driver through AW
Thursday: Play 18
Friday: Short game/putting
Saturday/Sunday: Full shot, short game and putting

I'm also about halfway through the SKLZ Golf Strong program, and I'm either going to continue it once I finish the first cycle or I'm going to start P90X. For the mental/strategy side I watch a lot of golf throughout the week and try to think through the holes I see being played on TV. And to be honest, I'm working hard on my game because I truly want to improve. The fact I'm heading to #TheGauntlet is a few months is just a bonus!

The gauntlet is also my first event and for prep I'm planning on hitting the range hard for these next few weeks to wake my game up from winter. Once I start feeling more comfortable with my swing then I will switch from the range to almost exclusively playing. I fortunately have the luxury to play about as many days of the week I want so I'm planning on playing at least 3-4 times per week.

I just find that I get so much more out of playing rather than hitting balls on the range. I'm able to see exactly where in my game I'm losing strokes and can then focus practice towards those areas. The one thing that I do plan on doing more than usual is hitting the putting green.

At my age I not changing too much. I will hit the range a couple of weeks before I go.

I prep big time, first time was overdone. The last event I took it easy and grinded it out.

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

I've not been in a big stage event for THP yet besides invitationals.

I'm not sure my prep could change much without me taking days off work, two jobs puts a damper on time off.

I'll still see my instructor once every two weeks or so, I'll hit balls into the net at work will do the same at home when the weather breaks to get out in the barn. I'll get out every other weekend and during the week when I can to play or hit the range.

I play better when I play more. It's pretty simple. It can't be too much or I seem to struggle but if I can play twice a week and hit balls at least once a week I usually get to my peak. I think the Gauntlet was the most I've ever prepared for an event in terms of play and i think it translated well to the course. The Grandaddy was the most I've practiced my swing without hitting balls in my life. Usually come thanksgiving the clubs are put away until spring but this year was different and I think that's going to help me this spring. I shouldn't have to spend a ton of time shaking the rust off

Just curious Phil - what exactly did you do to practice your swing? I've been doing slow motion drills, but I'm sure there's lots of other stuff I can do over the winter.

I'll put in some extra rounds/practice once I get picked.

I try to figure out what is weak in my game and get a lesson or two to clean it up.

My updates at last week's event was pathetic. That's going to be a focus going into the gauntlet. Especially during the rounds.

Two years into really dedicating myself to this game I have seen a lot of growth. To prepare for Regional Rivalry I feel like I need to bring a higher level of consistency to my game. I don't want to let my teammate down. I won't feel the pressure per se, but I don't want him thinking about what I may or may not do while he is over the ball.

I just took my second ever lesson to diagnose some things that I have felt in my swing and to reign in my misses. My path has developed a severe inside to out routing. That coupled with a cupped left wrist at the top leads to big blocks and snap hooks. Trying to feel more laid off at the top to flatten that wrist and getting the sensation of trying to come outside in is pretty weird feeling. I can say that when the right thoughts come together I'm seeing a straighter ball flight than I ever have so that is very encouraging. I am going to keep working on that to improve for the competition along with a few other exercises when the weather breaks some more up here.

You mean you don't practice bs punch shots from the trees?

Nope, I don't have a clue how to do that from the fairway either haha

Two years into really dedicating myself to this game I have seen a lot of growth. To prepare for Regional Rivalry I feel like I need to bring a higher level of consistency to my game. I don't want to let my teammate down. I won't feel the pressure per se, but I don't want him thinking about what I may or may not do while he is over the ball.

I just took my second ever lesson to diagnose some things that I have felt in my swing and to reign in my misses. My path has developed a severe inside to out routing. That coupled with a cupped left wrist at the top leads to big blocks and snap hooks. Trying to feel more laid off at the top to flatten that wrist and getting the sensation of trying to come outside in is pretty weird feeling. I can say that when the right thoughts come together I'm seeing a straighter ball flight than I ever have so that is very encouraging. I am going to keep working on that to improve for the competition along with a few other exercises when the weather breaks some more up here.

It's scary to think how much better you could be with your length & hitting straighter shots.

I know it's time for me to take some lessons. I'm ready now to put in the work & practice between lessons to get the most out of them.

For TheGrandaddy I practiced or played almost every day of the week. Could have been just an hour during lunch, or some early morning workouts before work. I'll do the same for RR. And then of course post updates of the progress and journey in the appropriate THP threads.

Should I get into RR or another THP event, I'll probably push a little harder than normal, but I practice so I can play better regardless. I hate playing bad and that is pretty much all the motivation I need. When I play a round, I normally think about what I did well and not, then make a little plan on how to fix it.

Back