Tour Event THP Thoughts?

mielke101

Reaction score
Handicap

Just saw this article and this guy went to my high school. I knew his sister more than him but have some good friends that were pretty close with him and his family. Just thought I’d see what THP thoughts on this are?

I'm in the definitely No camp. Hey, congrats on the really cool accomplishment of qualifying 4 straight times. That is awesome, he should be proud of it. But suck it up buttercup about not being able to qualify this year.

Seems that there are a lot of spaces to be filled and resumes to be examined after no qualifying events will be held. Based on his resume of earning KornFerry player and his past participation. I say I would put him on the list to gain entry into the US Open.

This is a tough process, but there are no rules on who to let in. I would love to hear the evaluation process for the open positions.

I get what he is asking for and why. But how many other stories like this exist?

Then again, how are they going to fill the slots? Maybe he'll get one.

I'm sure there are a lot of people who could write essays about the same topic. "Deserve" sounds a little entitled and whiny to me. The situation is what it is, for him and a lot of other people.

Pretty impressive run hes on... but i'm afraid he will have to sit out this time. There's always 2021+

Just saw this article and this guy went to my high school. I knew his sister more than him but have some good friends that were pretty close with him and his family. Just thought I’d see what THP thoughts on this are?

I'm sure there have been weaker special exemption handed out.

I'd vote him in if it were up for a vote.

I'm in the definitely No camp. Hey, congrats on the really cool accomplishment of qualifying 4 straight times. That is awesome, he should be proud of it. But suck it up buttercup about not being able to qualify this year.
Actually, 4 out of 5. He didn't say why he didn't play Shinnecock. I wonder if he tried and failed to qualify or if he didn't try for one reason or another.

I'm sure there have been weaker special exemption handed out.

I'd vote him in if it were up for a vote.
Agree he has performed in the past acted with high standards...give an up and come a chance

Life's not fair, pal.

Not this year. I applaud the fact that he has qualified previously and made the cut as recently as last year, but the USGA is not giving him a special exemption. His Open dream is just another casualty of this awful pandemic.

Interesting story, thanks for sharing. No exemption on this one, not how life works.

Honestly if there isnt the qualifying events, the us open isnt the same.

Because of qualifying we got early introductions to a number of guys who are earning their pga cards right now.

The fact that big names fail to qualify is usually a story each year.

If the USGA is basically choosing the field this year, it needs to capture a bit of that randomness in qualification. I'm happy the event is occuring this year, but maybe the Open was right to not host a contest this year due to the lack of open qualifying events.

My view is if they're no qualifying events then there is no Open. The U.S. Open will now be the U.S. Invitational for 2020. I'm with the Open, cancel it this year. An Open event isn't the same if it isn't an "Open".

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

I don't understand why qualifying has been outright cancelled already. Scale it back? Sure. But there's ample time to have at least some qualifying events in the States.

I don't understand why anyone wouldn't want him invited.

How are they going to fill the remaining positions for the tournament if no qualifying?

Smaller field I believe.

Well then echoing my points before. Application and resume review. Agree with Andy's point, the fact it's an OPEN should push the tournament committee to fill the field. I choose Andy based on resume

I'm sure there are a lot of people who could write essays about the same topic. "Deserve" sounds a little entitled and whiny to me. The situation is what it is, for him and a lot of other people.
This.

Life isn’t fair.

You missed 2018, if you miss 2020 you’ll be ok.. 🤷‍♂️

I haven't decided where I"m on Andy personally, but I do think its a shame they wont have the open qualifiers this year. I think it is a major part of what is the US Open.

Back