THP UK Summer Cup 2014

El Bandito

Reaction score
Handicap
13 ish
Hi there guys.

As I am currently holding onto the Cup (astonishing!) and our mighty chief organiser 'MAV281 The Magnificent' is very busy preparing the house and the bank balance for the arrival of an additional mini-MAV - it has fallen to me to come up with an affordable, but fun event where I can extremely reluctantly hand the cup onto the next holder...

I have looked at several venues / times - always aware that there really is nowhere that is convenient for everyone. I know that there is talk of a Northern get together - which I hope I will be able to gatecrash...and so...with some trepidation....

THP UK Summer Cup

Sunday July 6th - 'Late tee off' - 15:10 on the Mathern Course
Sunday July 6th - Dinner
Monday July 7th - Breakfast
Monday July 7th - 'Early tee off' - 0852 on the Championship Course

With a fair wind - all groups should be finished - scores totted up and prizes presented by 1500.

The venue is the Marriott St Pierre in Chepstow - (that's in Wales you know...)

Both courses are a good challenge - with the Championship Course having been used for the UK Masters many times and most recently for the Solheim Cup. The Marriott is of course a classy hotel. (Well - at least until I get there:bananadance:)

2 rounds, dinner, bed (based on shared room) and breakfast £125 all in. (That includes the prize fund)
Single rooms will be available at a supplement.

This is a fantastic price for the quality of courses, hotel and time of year.

The timings are intended to give those travelling time to get there and back. The last group on Sunday will be finishing in twilight! For those travelling from further afield - I would certainly be happy to tack on another round either on Saturday or Tuesday etc...but we can look at that for those whom are interested.

I am confident that we can continue our curve of an ever-improving prize board - and hopefully bigger attendance.

I have 10 twin rooms on hold - but will need to give the hotel a firmer indication in a week or so...so please indicate your interest, and PM your buddies....

I'll get moving on chasing up my Posse. I will update this first post with those who confirm interest.

So - any of you lightweights Man (or Woman) enough to take MY cup off me???????:clown:

1. El Bandito
2. The Dane
3. Martin 'Baileys' Newton
And
4. Rob 'Ice' Newton
Baileys and Ice for the cup!

5. Mizuno Blue - AKA The Lone Ranger
6. Mav 'Baby Photo' 281
7. Glenn 'The 3 Wood' Doctor
8. Will_I_Dream of Jaeger....
9. Bigmacclarron
10. Sam 'the outfit' Guest
11. Strawboater
12. Dirk "The Real Bandit" St Moritz (Ask him about his winter eclectic score...)
13. Almdudler - The Swede
14. Preston Preston, so good the Doctor named him twice...
15. John 'El Jefe' Williams
16. No Nickname Nick
17. Lina - The Swedette
18. Canny Carl the Putt

Last edited:
I love that you guys do this. Well done!

Good luck guys. Love that you organize your events and have so much fun with it. While this is not a THP Event, we can tell from the recaps that everybody involved takes the time to do it properly.

I'm a maybe for this at the moment, it falls slap bang in the middle of the two weeks my girl has off from work fro the summer. Will need some careful negotiation for a pass!

Good luck guys. Love that you organize your events and have so much fun with it. While this is not a THP Event, we can tell from the recaps that everybody involved takes the time to do it properly.
We do our best JB! Hopefully we will catch one of you Stateside guys on a trip soon and have a US representative! Im looking forward to teeing it up with Rushmania in May over here...

I'm a maybe for this at the moment, it falls slap bang in the middle of the two weeks my girl has off from work fro the summer. Will need some careful negotiation for a pass!

Know your pain...last one, MAV281, Ian281 and I all brought the ladies with....worth a thought?

Ooooh Stu, you have picked somewhere that is pushing the limits of distance for me.....and just along the road from Celtic Manor which we discussed earlier as well.....

I will have a word with Jen tonight, but are there any options if we bring the ladies along as well? Might have to take my discussion with you outside of this thread as per some of the things I mentioned earlier for other options

As for the trophy....you ain't keeping it for a second event :alien:

Love seeing you guys bring the Summer Cup back for another year! THP rocks on both sides of the pond :D

And I promise the next time I am in the U.K. (whenever the hell that is...) I will let you fellas know! Would love to play with some of our European brethren.

Ooooh Stu, you have picked somewhere that is pushing the limits of distance for me.....and just along the road from Celtic Manor which we discussed earlier as well.....

I will have a word with Jen tonight, but are there any options if we bring the ladies along as well? Might have to take my discussion with you outside of this thread as per some of the things I mentioned earlier for other options

As for the trophy....you ain't keeping it for a second event :alien:

CM is lots of wonga that time of year - although there are plenty nice courses we could add in for Sat or Tues....(2010 would have to be the Tues - gotta stay for the Sat)

Ladies - of course. Always add a little class.

Close House wanted 210 for similar deal...which was a bit rich I thought...

Love seeing you guys bring the Summer Cup back for another year! THP rocks on both sides of the pond :D

And I promise the next time I am in the U.K. (whenever the hell that is...) I will let you fellas know! Would love to play with some of our European brethren.

Always welcome!

CM is lots of wonga that time of year - although there are plenty nice courses we could add in for Sat or Tues....(2010 would have to be the Tues - gotta stay for the Sat)

Ladies - of course. Always add a little class.

Close House wanted 210 for similar deal...which was a bit rich I thought...

Not overly surprised to hear that CM would be more expensive at that time, and that Close House was as much as well unfortunately

Like I said earlier, I will have a word with Jen tonight when she gets home and see what we can do - just be prepared for a few messages going back and forth with options

Huge thanks to El B for stepping up and filling my size 9's for me whilst I am on daddy duties.

I am going to catch the missus in a good mood and open negotiations for me to attend the UK THP Summer Cup. I'm not going to be playing much golf between now and July (currently injured and baby due on 30th April), but I believe if I play my cards right and smile sweetly then I can negotiate a couple of days away from baby land :)

BTW - Cracking venue Stu and a great price considering everything is included. Believe me getting good value for money at quality course is not as easy as you might think and I know the pressure Stu is going through trying to get the weekend organised - good on ya buddy!

Cheers yall

Mav

Mav281 - pending approval from the WO - fantastic! May I rely on you to point the various and sundry 281s at the thread?:call-me:

Pencil me in

1st post updated with confirmed players, please let me know when you are firmed up and I will amend first post.
On you come boys, you know you want to! All Welcome....Castor Hades! Feel like adding a touch of Finnish class to the event? Lots of Scandinavians and mainland Europeans on the forum....let's be having you!

I'm in, at that price it would be rude not :thumb:

Single supplement for me, I'm a snorer and sleep walker :shock:

Awesome that you guys do this! Definitely need to get over there and play some golf. Good luck and I will definitely be looking forward to your recap threads!

Definite maybe for me but have a few other things to firm up before I can commit, should be able to confirm the next couple of weeks hopefully.

Roll up roll up boys...another confirmed sign up from recently joined Mizuno Blue...

Have discussed with the war office and can officially confirm my position for the Summer Cup.

Looking forward to it already :thumb:

Count me in Stu, but just me

Due to the expensive holiday in September Jen is going to give this time a miss but said she will tag along at some point in the future

Hopefully a mate of mine will be signed up shortly as well so he may be able to make it too but I will chase him to get sorted

All those 'maybes'...the hotel is coming looking for confirmation 7 to 10 days from now. I'm pretty confident that we will have some flexibility, but obviously the faster we can be firm, the better. (Ooooer missus!)
So get those plans finalised and get yourself on the list!:angel:

I'm definitely up for some UK THP action this summer! Hope to confirm before the weekend.
Thanks El B for stepping forward to organise an event for us guys on this side of the pond.

Okay, I'm feeling the peer pressure, add me to the list

Back