Tiger vs Phil and World Series of Golf Events

stevie-a

Yeah boyeeeee!
Reaction score
Handicap
New Things
So yesterday during the press conferences for the Players Championship, Phil mentioned interest in doing a head-to-head match with Tiger....winner take all. Obviously Tiger had no objections. While this idea may have been floated out there as a joke, I believe this is exactly what golf needs -- more opportunities to stage the matches we'd all like to see.

Old rivals, young guns, international, whatever...like they used to do for the World Series of Golf matchups or even the primetime ones they did under the lights about 8-10 years. We all get hyped up by the Ryder Cup and President's Cup matchups, so why not force the pairings we really want to see?!

Sure there's the issue with having these interfere with weekly tournaments, but its not like these guys play every week anyway and they could air at like 6-7pm after the PGA event coverage was done.

Am I alone in wondering what we're waiting on....???

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Tiger’s response was epic when asked what stakes he would play for, he said whatever it takes to make Phil uncomfortable.

I'd love to see more matches like that. I'd be happy with match play or stroke play. Have them micked up too so you can hear the back and forth banter. I think it would be great.

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

A rebirth of Shell’s Wonderful World of Golf would be great.

I'd really like to see stuff like this. Rickie and Rory were supposed to do it a couple years ago but that fell through.

I'd watch. Hopefully this stuff starts happening again.

This would be great I think,

I would love that. It reminds me of some of the stuff I watched growing up (maybe Shell's?). I think it would be cool if there was a series of Tiger vs Phil matches and scattered in between or after, a series of Tiger & Phil vs. JT & Rickie or Tiger & Phil vs. Spieth & Reed, etc...that type of "old guard vs new school" stuff.

I'd tune in and hope to see Tiger dominate.

I would be more interested in these matchups than many of the regular tour events and would think the ratings would be better for these events too.

Tiger, Phil, and Rickie are paired up for Thursday! It’s gonna be fun to watch!

This could be great if they don't turn it into a reality tv show. Make it reality. One or two epic matches a year. Maybe have their main sponsors put up real money for charity or let them use their own money. Shell should get first chance to sponsor the telecast.

I think they should do it on neutral ground. I propose Oak Quarry by my house so I can have a front row view of it. :D

I think they should do it on neutral ground. I propose Oak Quarry by my house so I can have a front row view of it. :D
I see your offer and propose a non-neutral ground of Brown Deer so that I can watch it haha

Maybe the course will make Tiger feel young again and he'll play out of his mind.

Sent from my SM-G935R4 using Tapatalk

I have said for years that I would love for something like Shells wonderful world of golf to come back. This would be a nice start.

It would be great to do it on courses you don't see on tour, if the clubs would do it, some of the courses no longer on tour, some of the Tillinghast courses, MacKenzie courses. There a lot of courses in the US and abroad that would be great settings.

I think it would be really cool if you could do a few with persimmon and balata.

They're both competitive, they both know how to market themselves, and they both know that such a 'head to head' match would be very profitable for both of them, no matter who wins.

Still, I'd like to see it. Then I kind of want to see Justin Thomas vs Rory.

~Rock

This would of course be highly watched...I really don't know why they don't do this type of thing. Even if they just did a monthly match that's 12 huge golf events each year that would honestly rival or beat most majors in the ratings. People would eat this up (even non-golf or casual golf fans would have to tune into these types of matches).

They could even do some kind of bracket that would culminate in a championship pairing.

I'd want to know what "high stakes" means to those two because you know it isn't money. They have plenty in the bank accounts.

Winner scripts loser's apparel for a practice round? Phil wears the TW hat and Nike swag? Or Tiger wears a button down long sleeve with Phil logo?

I'd want to know what "high stakes" means to those two because you know it isn't money. They have plenty in the bank accounts.

Winner scripts loser's apparel for a practice round? Phil wears the TW hat and Nike swag? Or Tiger wears a button down long sleeve with Phil logo?

Tiger could put up Frank. I'm not sure about Phil.

Tiger said he would play for whatever makes Phil uncomfortable. Would be fantastic to see what that is.

Sounds like Phil is ripping off the THP call out

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Tiger said he would play for whatever makes Phil uncomfortable. Would be fantastic to see what that is.

Funniest thing in the world would be Tiger showing up to the first tee with a duffel bag full of cash and dumping it out.

Back