Tiger Woods - HBO Max

I thought first part seemed fairly honest and enjoyed it. Part 2 will be a **** show.

I have finished the Tiger doc and wanted to give some thoughts. I didn’t think any of the doc was in bad taste besides some of the corny production including the classic Uchitel line, “so what do you want me to talk about”, or Earl’s friend that said, “oh he’s not gonna like this” only to spill all the beans about his and earls affairs then says sorry champ. This guy and many others I think maybe over played the role they had in Tigers life to an extent. I was one of the people skeptical (see previous pages) about the way they presented the scandals. However, my only complaint really was I would have liked more tour players to come forward and talk about the actual golf and tiger at that chronological time. They did pretty good to go over some awesome golf moments, but not really in any order or story that meant anything to the documentary. Would have loved to have about 10 minutes of action regarding some of the tournaments to really tell that story, but that’s not what they were going for with this. It was very interesting to see Earl manipulate Tiger all the way through college, with the extreme focus on golf from an infant, to making him break up with his girlfriend. However as soon as tiger got the deal with Nike, and had some tour success Earl lost complete control over Tiger and Tiger was the one manipulating the media, the galleries, the sponsorships and even Earl by cutting him off to hide Earl’s affairs. Tiger is such an intelligent person it was crazy to see his Dad turn him into this genius brand creator with all time talent pretty much from the day he was on tour. It’s almost very Lavar Ball esque, except Tiger was the best ever lol. I thought the home videos of him as a kid and as a teen with his girlfriend were the most important perspective. That was tiger before he turned into Tiger the brand, and I think that is the tiger we have now to an extent. He still is chasing the
Goat status and the Jordan brand status. He was in a very dark spot with then DUI. I hope he is truly past that place today, and not just still putting on the media face. The spotlight is a very dangerous thing.

I have finished the Tiger doc and wanted to give some thoughts. I didn’t think any of the doc was in bad taste besides some of the corny production including the classic Uchitel line, “so what do you want me to talk about”, or Earl’s friend that said, “oh he’s not gonna like this” only to spill all the beans about his and earls affairs then says sorry champ. This guy and many others I think maybe over played the role they had in Tigers life to an extent. I was one of the people skeptical (see previous pages) about the way they presented the scandals. However, my only complaint really was I would have liked more tour players to come forward and talk about the actual golf and tiger at that chronological time. They did pretty good to go over some awesome golf moments, but not really in any order or story that meant anything to the documentary. Would have loved to have about 10 minutes of action regarding some of the tournaments to really tell that story, but that’s not what they were going for with this. It was very interesting to see Earl manipulate Tiger all the way through college, with the extreme focus on golf from an infant, to making him break up with his girlfriend. However as soon as tiger got the deal with Nike, and had some tour success Earl lost complete control over Tiger and Tiger was the one manipulating the media, the galleries, the sponsorships and even Earl by cutting him off to hide Earl’s affairs. Tiger is such an intelligent person it was crazy to see his Dad turn him into this genius brand creator with all time talent pretty much from the day he was on tour. It’s almost very Lavar Ball esque, except Tiger was the best ever lol. I thought the home videos of him as a kid and as a teen with his girlfriend were the most important perspective. That was tiger before he turned into Tiger the brand, and I think that is the tiger we have now to an extent. He still is chasing the
Goat status and the Jordan brand status. He was in a very dark spot with then DUI. I hope he is truly past that place today, and not just still putting on the media face. The spotlight is a very dangerous thing.

This really echos a lot my thoughts on it too. It was a document that was always meant to sensationalize the scandals. The over playing their role in tiger's life was spot on IMO and pervasive of most of the people taking part in this "documentary".

I was almost pleased that they mentioned the 2019 Masters, because it was so out of character from the rest of the content...but the end felt like an afterthought to try and avoid any backlash. and say "see we love Tiger".

Earl Woods = Lavar Ball......💯

Things about Tiger Woods are going to have positives and negatives. He was a flawed man, hopefully that has changed. I still enjoy watching things about him.

The best part of the whole 2 part docuseries was Arman Katayan!

“The players wanted him at his prime, The F You do! You have no idea!”

I watched both parts and while there wasn't a whole lot in there that was not known I still thought it was good. It does kind of suck when things like these come out and the person they are about are not involved but I know Tiger would never do anything like this. I would recommend watching it though.

Wrapped up the 2nd part last night.

The Masters portion was spot on, severely uncalled for.

Thought the doc was put together well. Was quite interesting and enjoyed it. I grew up down the road from that Perkins.

Stevie was fun to listen to, like the guy!

As someone who didn't really follow or even play golf at the time this kicked off, I really enjoyed this. It game me a factual connection to what I remember hearing at the time. I hate that he lost some of his best years to injuries and personal issues, but that is the reckoning they kept referencing. We all do have a reckoning and when you stray too far from who we are, it will humble you. Got to be honest, it got a little dusty when Earl read the speech about his son, and look over at my little dude watching it with me. :cry:

Finished this one up last night and overall really enjoyed it. I expected to see more about the affairs, but felt what was discussed was just enough. I honestly wouldn’t want to walk a day in Tiger’s shoes.

Have Tiger a Stevie still not spoken at length since the break up?

Finished this one up last night and overall really enjoyed it. I expected to see more about the affairs, but felt what was discussed was just enough. I honestly wouldn’t want to walk a day in Tiger’s shoes.

I think when you are out, you are really out!

I thought that was sad. Wonder if there is more to the story. I mean to have someone be the best man at your wedding, and you simply completely cut them off because they ask to caddie for another guy while you are not playing?? Bizarre.

I thought that was sad. Wonder if there is more to the story. I mean to have someone be the best man at your wedding, and you simply completely cut them off because they ask to caddie for another guy while you are not playing?? Bizarre.
I think that was his coping technique. He did that with several people especially when he thought he needed a change in his life. It's amazing how little things we do as parents can f#$k our kids up. Like his parents forcing him to break up with his girlfriend and cut her completely off from his life. Earl thought he was being sly and keeping his affairs hidden from Tiger but probably made it worse and definitely damaged his relationship and altered how Tiger would treat women later in life.

Bizarre to say the least, unless he knew about some things going on. 🤷‍♂️

Bizarre to say the least, unless he knew about some things going on. 🤷‍♂️

Especially since he said it was ok!

I didn't like it very much at all and I'm one who's been much more critical of Tiger throughout the years than most.

I blamed him for Stevie's bullish behavior towards fans and press, for example. Didn't see any of that happening without the boss' stamp of approval or maybe encouragement. Then the extensive infidelity issues and ensuing circus.

Anyway, those formed my negative impression of the man and I never tried to convince anyone to agree with me and/or influence their own opinion of him.

That all said, the Tiger documentary strikes me as a trash TV hit piece.

Never did appreciate the production value, tone nor content. I see absolutely no purpose for its existence other than to smear.

Just as with my opinion of Tiger, not trying to influence anyone else's opinion of the show.

I couldn't believe Earl "made" him break up with his girlfriend. :rolleyes:
I would have liked to have been a fly on the wall when Tiger let Steve go. He was absolutely blindsided by that, especially when he said "go ahead" then changes his mind right before the tournament. I mean, why what difference did it make, Tiger wasn't playing in it. Plus Adam Scott is a good friend of Stevie. I'm sure Tiger resents some of the things he has done but he will never admit it.

This doc just seems to confirm what I've come to think about Tiger Woods over the years.
Great golfer, awful human being.

Tiger has done everything on his own. You might say, well didnt he have help? no.

This doc just seems to confirm what I've come to think about Tiger Woods over the years.
Great golfer, awful human being.

Couldn't agree more. It's amazing what people are willing to overlook just because someone is great at something.

Full disclosure - I didn't watch the show, don't have any intention of it and have never been a Tiger fan, not even a little bit.

With that said, the thing with Stevie can't be too surprising. Tiger was a total prick to his fans, the media and basically everybody else in his life, so it's not surprising to me at all that he was able to completely shut Stevie out like that. I could never figure out how he was so popular when he was so arrogant and contemptuous toward the very people who were cheering him on the most. I never felt that he did a good job of "managing his brand" - nor did he need to, the media did all the heavy lifting for him. They put him on a high pedestal and fluffed his pillow nonstop - at least until the whole infidelity episode broke and there was no way to cover it up.

To his credit, he has mellowed somewhat as he has aged, and it's almost as if he's trying to behave as an elder statesman at this point. Maybe he's done some introspection, or maybe he just realizes that he can't behave that way and continue to get a free pass now that he's not on top of the world anymore. Winning covers a multitude of sins in any sport, and he was no exception.

I didn't like it very much at all and I'm one who's been much more critical of Tiger throughout the years than most.

I blamed him for Stevie's bullish behavior towards fans and press, for example. Didn't see any of that happening without the boss' stamp of approval or maybe encouragement. Then the extensive infidelity issues and ensuing circus.

Anyway, those formed my negative impression of the man and I never tried to convince anyone to agree with me and/or influence their own opinion of him.

That all said, the Tiger documentary strikes me as a trash TV hit piece.

Never did appreciate the production value, tone nor content. I see absolutely no purpose for its existence other than to smear.

Just as with my opinion of Tiger, not trying to influence anyone else's opinion of the show.

It just seems like a weird time to do a production like this. Whatever his transgressions, Woods has paid for them and then some, and suffered public humiliation few can imagine. At some point, even if well-earned, you have to feel some sympathy for him. Other than for the obvious motivation - making money - why this production now when it seems he has finally gotten himself together and rebounded a bit.

I think it is telling that the only 'insiders' who were a part of this have reasons to harbor animosity towards Woods.

I watched it. But I didn't enjoy it. Felt a bit like I needed to shower after watching it. My primary takeaway? Earl Woods did one helluva job screwing his kid's head up.

This was totally not a hit piece on Tiger. Anybody growing up in So Cal like I did when Tiger was little knew Earl was a poon hound.
When I lived in Vegas, Tiger never hid his escapades, and he was the regular subject of Norm Clarke’s columns in the newspaper. There was nothing in the doc that was a lie, just stuff that was embarrassing to Tiger and his old man with stuff that actually happened. And at the end they recapped his comeback with the 2019 Master win, which showed how he was welcomed back with open arms. Anybody complaining about the show is looking for something to be offended by.

I see it is just for entertainment, but I refuse to watch and support something that just trashes a childhood hero. I may be completely in the wrong though.

I have watched the first episode. It definitely is not skewed towards Tiger in the way the MJ doc was. But it also isn't a hit piece. They do a ton of coverage of how great he was.

In a perfect world you can have this with Tiger involved. But if I have to choose between the two styles. I prefer this to the j**koff session that the MJ doc was.

I have watched the first episode. It definitely is not skewed towards Tiger in the way the MJ doc was. But it also isn't a hit piece. They do a ton of coverage of how great he was.

In a perfect world you can have this with Tiger involved. But if I have to choose between the two styles. I prefer this to the j**koff session that the MJ doc was.

...you gotta watch part 2 because you're literally only getting half the "story."

FWIW, I felt very similar to you after part 1 but not at all the same after part 2.

Back