Tiger Woods - HBO Max

that’s how I was with the first sharknado.....I heard it was the worst movie ever but had to watch to find out. I made it 7 minutes.
😂

No way I’d even consider Sharknado!

I think that is the nature of the beast though right? I mean every story since that time has been glowing, but we had the greatest player of all time, turn out to be living a secret life, get over it and come back, only to get caught on the side of road driving while impaired...Only to come back again. Athletes get forgiven based on their skill level for a lot of things and Tiger is no different and it has had a fun ending for fans, but the biggest stories involving Tiger Woods is winning (which is covered at length) and two scandals.

Definitely nature of the beast. It’s an enthralling story that I was excited to learn more about what actually happened during those years (well not too much detail lol). Obviously I haven’t seen it so I don’t know for certain, but from what I have heard there isn’t really any new information about that scandals presented as tiger obviously wasn’t involved. I heard it’s a lot of “psychoanalysts” commenting on the situations providing insight as to how early fame may have caused this. And obviously the interview from Rachel Ucatel. But other than that I haven’t seen anyone mention any new information. Maybe I’m speaking from a lens where I’m so familiar with the story that this whole documentary may be repetitive and made for the more casual fan.

I think what made the last dance good in my opinion was we got to hear somethings straight from the horses mouth like when Scottie was talking about basically quitting that season due to the contract situation . I think people thought that’s what this documentary was, and it might not be anything to groundbreaking. Regardless if it’s good or bad I’m still going to watch but I think people just had different expectations.

Apparently some folks have already screened this and claim its just an attack on Tiger. I was hoping for a balanced documentary but looks like it will just be the opposite of the Jordan documentary.
After hearing the initial reviews, I have no desire to watch it. No idea why HBO feels the need to trash a guy who has gotten himself in a happy and healthy place—new, dad Tiger is awesome. We had enough of that negative coverage 10 years ago.

Not surprised HBO went this route. They've seem to push the edge on a lot of stories like this. I get everyone wants to see the accident on the side of the road, but at what point do you get enough of driving by the same accident time and time again?

Definitely nature of the beast. It’s an enthralling story that I was excited to learn more about what actually happened during those years (well not too much detail lol). Obviously I haven’t seen it so I don’t know for certain, but from what I have heard there isn’t really any new information about that scandals presented as tiger obviously wasn’t involved. I heard it’s a lot of “psychoanalysts” commenting on the situations providing insight as to how early fame may have caused this. And obviously the interview from Rachel Ucatel. But other than that I haven’t seen anyone mention any new information. Maybe I’m speaking from a lens where I’m so familiar with the story that this whole documentary may be repetitive and made for the more casual fan.

I think what made the last dance good in my opinion was we got to hear somethings straight from the horses mouth like when Scottie was talking about basically quitting that season due to the contract situation . I think people thought that’s what this documentary was, and it might not be anything to groundbreaking. Regardless if it’s good or bad I’m still going to watch but I think people just had different expectations.

That goes back to a really tough filmmaking situation. The Last Dance was a trophy awarded to an athlete for participating. In a lot of ways, it is why fans loved it so much, because it was edited by cheerleaders that made sure the positive was what was highlighted. No way Jordan participates in anything that he doesn't have final say in. Just like there is no way Tiger would participate in ANYTHING that shows any sort of negative. It has been that way his entire career, and I respect the idea behind it, but it wouldnt be a real piece if the two scandals weren't addressed. So its a double edged sword.

I think that is the nature of the beast though right? I mean every story since that time has been glowing, but we had the greatest player of all time, turn out to be living a secret life, get over it and come back, only to get caught on the side of road driving while impaired...Only to come back again. Athletes get forgiven based on their skill level for a lot of things and Tiger is no different and it has had a fun ending for fans, but the biggest stories involving Tiger Woods is winning (which is covered at length) and two scandals.

I think the combination of timing and focus is what makes me—an admitted fan—not want to watch.

Tiger’s redemption story has been quite compelling. He’s done things no one thought possible, and we all love those types of stories right? We know we are human; we know we are flawed. But to see someone so high, fall so low, only to climb that mountain again, is the type of story that can bring tears to anyone’s eyes. I literally cried, for example, when he finished off the W at the Master’s; I probably did at the Tour Championship too, seeing all those fans flock behind him.

From the initial views, it doesn’t sound like that climb back up is touched at all. Little talk about his recent wins, nothing about his relationship with his kids, his foundation that helps millions of kids, nothing about his new, more likeable attitude towards other pros. To focus primarily on affairs from 10 years back—the type of story athletes who played in decades past were lucky to avoid—just seems distasteful. Why now? Has a very TMZ, click-baity feel to it.

Is the preview on Max right now (I'm lazy and haven't checked)?

Will definitely be tuning in
Yep watched it last night.

I am interested in seeing this. I expect it to be pretty heavy handed though. I don't think Tiger had anything to do with it and no one knows much about his personal life except for the affairs. I suspect Tiger is a lot like everyone that is that successful. He can be a jerk sometimes, he has dealt with temptation, and he has rubbed some people the wrong way. Really that's all of our stories though to some extent so hopefully they aren't too hard on him.

I guess I’ll miss out, as I don’t have HBO Max.

I am a guy who believes that we all ultimately have to take ownership for our actions and can’t blame others, but I also believe that our experiences result in behaviors that can be very destructive and difficult to overcome.

As @JB mentioned, it never ceases to amaze me how quickly we forgive athletes of their transgressions and overlook their behavior. It really is a remarkable thing.

I guess I’ll miss out, as I don’t have HBO Max.

I am a guy who believes that we all ultimately have to take ownership for our actions and can’t blame others, but I also believe that our experiences result in behaviors that can be very destructive and difficult to overcome.

As @JB mentioned, it never ceases to amaze me how quickly we forgive athletes of their transgressions and overlook their behavior. It really is a remarkable thing.

I agree that athletes, particularly those of whom we are fans, often get a pass. But, then again, your average Joe isn’t having his affairs/addictions/other dirty laundry aired for the world. So, in that way, they may have it worse off.

I agree that athletes, particularly those of whom we are fans, often get a pass. But, then again, your average Joe isn’t having his affairs/addictions/other dirty laundry aired for the world. So, in that way, they may have it worse off.

Totally agree with that. The price to pay for a billion dollars I guess, right? Nobody is forced to be a professional athlete. Just like nobody is forced to be faithful to a mother, etc. Choices we all have to make and live with.

Just not sure what people expected in a documentary on the man? If its highlights of his career and return to winning that is pretty much nightly on golf channel and was on ESPN. Based on the popularity of this one, Woods will have the opportunity to create his own with his partnership with GolfTV that will cover undoubtedly cover only the on course specifics and I think fans would enjoy that rehashed.

I will definitely be tuning in for this.

I agree...we've witnessed that the last 20 years or so. Every star has to go through some tribulations along the way. I will still give it a watch.

Reactions: JB
Totally agree with that. The price to pay for a billion dollars I guess, right? Nobody is forced to be a professional athlete. Just like nobody is forced to be faithful to a mother, etc. Choices we all have to make and live with.

Just not sure what people expected in a documentary on the man? If its highlights of his career and return to winning that is pretty much nightly on golf channel and was on ESPN. Based on the popularity of this one, Woods will have the opportunity to create his own with his partnership with GolfTV that will cover undoubtedly cover only the on course specifics and I think fans would enjoy that rehashed.

Yep, definitely a trade off that most people would make.

I was hoping for something more inspirational, I guess. Get me all pumped up and smiling about one of my favorite athletes. I think after watching the Jordan documentary I was excited about this one, but then when I heard the initial reviews I was just bummed out. I know it’s a big part of his story; I’m just not up for it at the moment.

Yep, definitely a trade off that most people would make.

I was hoping for something more inspirational, I guess. Get me all pumped up and smiling about one of my favorite athletes. I think after watching the Jordan documentary I was excited about this one, but then when I heard the initial reviews I was just bummed out. I know it’s a big part of his story; I’m just not up for it at the moment.
Difference is Jordan had complete control over his, Tiger has zero control or input in this one.
I’ll probably still watch as I like to watch the world burn, but I’m with you in the fact that I was hoping for more of an inspirational view during these negative times we live in.

That goes back to a really tough filmmaking situation. The Last Dance was a trophy awarded to an athlete for participating. In a lot of ways, it is why fans loved it so much, because it was edited by cheerleaders that made sure the positive was what was highlighted. No way Jordan participates in anything that he doesn't have final say in. Just like there is no way Tiger would participate in ANYTHING that shows any sort of negative. It has been that way his entire career, and I respect the idea behind it, but it wouldnt be a real piece if the two scandals weren't addressed. So its a double edged sword.

I thought the last dance definitely pandered to Jordan in a way that glorified the image of him. But just with all the BTS footage we were also able to form our own opinions on how Mike was on a day to day basis, which included some of his bad attitude and gambling exploits. Barely, but a little glimpse.

I agree with you whole heartedly that If we are telling the story of Tiger Woods, the bad stuff needs to be brought up. Especially with how much it changed his playing career. I really wish we would get an open unfiltered dialogue of how that changed everything, but you are right that will never happen with Tiger especially when it paints him negatively. For me it’s just the way things are sensationalized nowadays. Like stated before and @JMB3 mentioned. When documentaries advertise, an unfiltered perspective or “The True Story about Tiger” and it’s really just a Denny’s waitress interview and two storylines that the director decided to run with it feels very tabloid-y to me. That’s why love raw BTS footage. I just watched the Star Wars production BTS the other day as it popped up on YouTube and it was one of the most enjoyable documentaries I’ve watched in a while.

I thought the last dance definitely pandered to Jordan in a way that glorified the image of him. But just with all the BTS footage we were also able to form our own opinions on how Mike was on a day to day basis, which included some of his bad attitude and gambling exploits. Barely, but a little glimpse.

I agree with you whole heartedly that If we are telling the story of Tiger Woods, the bad stuff needs to be brought up. Especially with how much it changed his playing career. I really wish we would get an open unfiltered dialogue of how that changed everything, but you are right that will never happen with Tiger especially when it paints him negatively. For me it’s just the way things are sensationalized nowadays. Like stated before and @JMB3 mentioned. When documentaries advertise, an unfiltered perspective or “The True Story about Tiger” and it’s really just a Denny’s waitress interview and two storylines that the director decided to run with it feels very tabloid-y to me. That’s why love raw BTS footage. I just watched the Star Wars production BTS the other day as it popped up on YouTube and it was one of the most enjoyable documentaries I’ve watched in a while.

Genuinely I think that is unfair without viewing it first. There will be a defense mechanism for huge fans of his. We saw that when the car was found on the side of the road and some swore it had to be just a bad reaction to a sleep aid. The thread is there still to read.

Nobody wants to hear heroes are human. Its why the show the Boys on Amazon Prime makes fun of that in a dark and twisted way, right?

I think everybody would like a clean and deep look that was without bias. It would be impossible sadly, so you get the highlight reel that Nike and Golf Channel sponsor and documentaries like this and create your own mind up I guess. Reminds me of when his former coach put out a book that was really good and showed a different side to the player and fans hated it before they even read it because they assumed it was a hit piece. Part of it was, but that is because of the man, not the book.

Genuinely I think that is unfair without viewing it first. There will be a defense mechanism for huge fans of his. We saw that when the car was found on the side of the road and some swore it had to be just a bad reaction to a sleep aid. The thread is there still to read.

Nobody wants to hear heroes are human. Its why the show the Boys on Amazon Prime makes fun of that in a dark and twisted way, right?

I think everybody would like a clean and deep look that was without bias. It would be impossible sadly, so you get the highlight reel that Nike and Golf Channel sponsor and documentaries like this and create your own mind up I guess. Reminds me of when his former coach put out a book that was really good and showed a different side to the player and fans hated it before they even read it because they assumed it was a hit piece. Part of it was, but that is because of the man, not the book.

It’s definitely unfair of me to judge it without seeing it so I will most definitely still be watching. And I agree with being tired of the junk Nike and Golf channel do to make it seem like every player is an angel. Golfs biggest star right now is DJ and his past got swept under the rug also. I’ll be excited to give my opinion on it after this weekend.

and i actually haven’t seen the boys on Amazon prime so I may have to add that to the watch list lol.

Reactions: JB
I just checked out the trailer and it certainly looks like they're going to dig in to the dirty parts of his life. I guess I don't see any issues with it as long as they are honest with it. I'm a huge Tiger homer but it only seems fair that the bad is covered with the good. It looks like the comeback is covered as well which should round it out nicely.

I can't decide whether I'm looking forward to seeing the negative stuff or looking forward to learning more about it.

I’m pretty excited to watch this one too!

Even though I have most, if not all, DVDs based on his life that have been released, I can't wait for this. I think "The Last Dance" give me a thirst for documentaries based on great athletes. It will be great watching a sports documentary based on my favorite athlete of all time.

I just checked out the trailer and it certainly looks like they're going to dig in to the dirty parts of his life. I guess I don't see any issues with it as long as they are honest with it. I'm a huge Tiger homer but it only seems fair that the bad is covered with the good. It looks like the comeback is covered as well which should round it out nicely.

I can't decide whether I'm looking forward to seeing the negative stuff or looking forward to learning more about it.

From what I've read the comeback and recent wins are touched on lightly at the end, but the meat and potatoes of the 2 part event are the scandals.

Watched part 1 last night. Much of the content they covered was pretty well known, but there was some definite additions to provide more context. The inclusion of his high school girlfriend and their eventual breakup actually made me feel a lot more sympathetic towards Tiger, as if he wasn't allowed to develop or be a normal kid or even a teenager. Seems like the juicy stuff about his infidelity it a major part of Part 2. Definitely a solid watch.

Watched part 1 last night. Much of the content they covered was pretty well known, but there was some definite additions to provide more context. The inclusion of his high school girlfriend and their eventual breakup actually made me feel a lot more sympathetic towards Tiger, as if he wasn't allowed to develop or be a normal kid or even a teenager. Seems like the juicy stuff about his infidelity it a major part of Part 2. Definitely a solid watch.

haven't watched it yet, but in the Jeff Benedict TW book I felt the same way of the HS Tiger stories.

Darn it...forgot this one was on last night. I think I will tee it up for this morning.

Even though I have most, if not all, DVDs based on his life that have been released, I can't wait for this. I think "The Last Dance" give me a thirst for documentaries based on great athletes. It will be great watching a sports documentary based on my favorite athlete of all time.
Word is this isn’t going to be near as flattering as the last dance, at all

Back