Tips For First Golf Tournament

Don't change how you play. It's primarily a course management thing. Don't think to yourself "well, I just bogeyed that one, so I better pick up a shot here." It won't go well. Play your game. You've done it plenty. Crap will happen, just as I'm sure it has during your casual rounds. That's ok, just do what you'd normally do. I'm willing to be that most of the time, you just 'move on' with your round. The same thing applies to competition. Just 'move on.'

I've won tournaments with a double because I've just 'moved on.' You already have that mindset of just focusing on each shot, and letting the strokes add up to some number at the end. Don't let that change just because it's a tournament.

~Rock

Also, I'll assume (since it's a Grint tourney) that there will be live scoring. DON'T look at the live leaderboard or where you stand. Play your game and where you end up is where you end up. Oh, and go kick some ass! 😈
And take a fireball shot every third hole

How did you make out in this tourn @RealPretendPsychic
Quite well! I won overall gross and net although the only official scoring was gross by flight and I was in the 12-16 handicap flight. It was a nasty morning with temps in the low to mid 40’s accompanied by wind and rain, but I shot an 82 net -2 with 3 birdies (new PB)! It was a super casual atmosphere, which I’m sure helped, and there was a live leaderboard through The Grint, which was fun.

Came here to post some thoughts but it looks like it was not needed. Congrats on the win!
Competitive golf will change your game for the better. Keep it up.

Beyond casual betting with my friends, I have no competitive golf experience. I religiously keep a handicap and play to the rules of golf to the best of my knowledge and ability. I am playing in a Grint tournament this weekend. The format is gross score flighted by handicap. I’ll be in the 12.0-15.9 flight. I’m not going out there to win or anything, the plan is to continue my strong play and put up a low score. What tips do you have for me golf-wise or rule-wise?
Slow takeaway and finish.

Quite well! I won overall gross and net although the only official scoring was gross by flight and I was in the 12-16 handicap flight. It was a nasty morning with temps in the low to mid 40’s accompanied by wind and rain, but I shot an 82 net -2 with 3 birdies (new PB)! It was a super casual atmosphere, which I’m sure helped, and there was a live leaderboard through The Grint, which was fun.
Congrats (on both winning and on the new PB), great job!

Congrats on the win!!!

Swing freely. Don't play golf swing play golf. If you get in trouble take a deep breath and focus on your next shot. You'll do great kid!!!

Bumping this up since I joined the Veterans Golf Association. My first match is in a few days. I guess the good part is it’s a little chilly so I don’t expect to be in mid season form. Honestly I just want to see what tournament play is like and get some new experiences.

Now that you’ve had a few events under your belt, do you have any additional tips to pass on?

Don’t suck. ;)

Back