Titleist 716 AP2 Irons - THP Review Thread

you going to keep the cf16s or go back to the ap2s? I just sold my 714 ap2s, was thinking of getting into a set of cf16s.
Out of the 3 sets the 714's are my favorite. That is not taking away from the other 2. The CF16'S are GREAT irons but for my game i think the AP2'S are a better fit. I am a decent ball striker and don't need the extra distance that the CF16's provide.

I also like the appearance of the AP2'S better (which is totally personal). The CF16'S have a rounded cavity to my eye that drives me nuts lol.

With all that being said I only have 27 holes on the CF16'S so I will try them out a few more times. But right now I would pick the AP2'S.

Both great clubs.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

I also like the appearance of the AP2'S better (which is totally personal).

i agree i loved the 714 ap2 they were just gorgeous clubs. but i couldn't hit the 4 iron with enough height off the turf and that left me with a distance gap between 4i and 3h. wanted to be realistic with my game and went back to something more forgiving and easier to launch. i already miss them though.

So you've actually gone back to the Rocketbladez? (Which is what I have now).

I didn't have an issue launching them at a fitting. I think I'd probably use what I have now (5-PW) as I definitely find having a 4h actually gives me a bit more versatility.

I actually have the opportunity this weekend to play with 714's instead and will be keen to see how they go. I know if a set with my shafts available barely used in 714 so if they feel similar to the 716 at a far cheaper price I might head that way instead.

I'm about two steps from ordering a combo set of AP1/2s.

I could play the long irons fine in the AP2s but I wouldn't mind a bit of forgiveness. So I'll like go 3/4 in AP1s and 5-PW in AP2s.

After hitting the AP2s the other day I'm hooked.

I am in love with my 716 AP2s... I have been hitting them great this year. The AMT's are a really fun shaft, I have been able to really generate some power with my 4 iron having a lighter weight shaft, but then the short irons maintain that stability and accuracy that you would expect from regular Dynamic Gold.

I really like the look and feel of these irons. Performance wise, they just simply launch the ball!

I am in love with my 716 AP2s... I have been hitting them great this year. The AMT's are a really fun shaft, I have been able to really generate some power with my 4 iron having a lighter weight shaft, but then the short irons maintain that stability and accuracy that you would expect from regular Dynamic Gold.

I really like the look and feel of these irons. Performance wise, they just simply launch the ball!
I really like the AMT shafts in these. They are a great combo!

So you've actually gone back to the Rocketbladez? (Which is what I have now).

i had the project x it seemed i couldn't elevate the 4 iron off the turf. off the tee and a 5 iron were okay. proably should have just bought an ap1.

anyway actually i just bought a set of apex cf16's today hope to have them in a week.

I've been hitting AP2 716 for about a month and the best part about them is that they are consistent. The gapping between clubs is perfect. Albeit a full club shorter than my Ping I's. loving them so far. My only complaint is that they show dings very easily. this is because of the softer forged metal and maybe because of the chrome finish...all in all I'm very please and should be hitting them for some time.

I've been hitting AP2 716 for about a month and the best part about them is that they are consistent. The gapping between clubs is perfect. Albeit a full club shorter than my Ping I's. loving them so far. My only complaint is that they show dings very easily. this is because of the softer forged metal and maybe because of the chrome finish...all in all I'm very please and should be hitting them for some time.
Did you ever hit the 714 AP2s?

Did you ever hit the 714 AP2s?

I have never owned the 714's....Im sure I hit them as I have a few friends playing them but can't recall my original impressions.

I have never owned the 714's....Im sure I hit them as I have a few friends playing them but can't recall my original impressions.
How's the feedback on the 716s that was my only grip with the 714 is I felt like I couldn't tell where on the face I was striking it. Everything felt solid to me.

How's the feedback on the 716s that was my only grip with the 714 is I felt like I couldn't tell where on the face I was striking it. Everything felt solid to me.

Feedback is excellent....far better than my Ping I's and my older Taylormade MB blades.

Feedback is excellent....far better than my Ping I's and my older Taylormade MB blades.
That's really encouraging and some I really like to hear. Really liked the feel of the 714 ap2s but everything felt good and it bothered me lol. I liked to know if I caught one high on the fade or a little toe side.

That's really encouraging and some I really like to hear. Really liked the feel of the 714 ap2s but everything felt good and it bothered me lol. I liked to know if I caught one high on the fade or a little toe side.

when demo'ng the 716s I felt they were only a slight improvement over the 714s in this area. I saw very similar results between both models and one of the reasons I couldn't make up my mind on which set I wanted and ended up with the CBs for that feedback

I finally got to demo these last Thursday when I got fit for the 917 driver. What an improvement on feel and sound from the 714. I still think I dig the looks of the 714 over these but man these felt really really good. Much softer with much more muted thud at impact. 714s felt/sounded more clicky for a lack of a better term to me. 718 AP2 will definitely be my next irons if they keep the feel and feedback of these 716s. Launch was higher than what I'm gaming now and distance seemed comparable off my eye. Overall big improvement IMO from the 714s to these.

I finally got to demo these last Thursday when I got fit for the 917 driver. What an improvement on feel and sound from the 714. I still think I dig the looks of the 714 over these but man these felt really really good. Much softer with much more muted thud at impact. 714s felt/sounded more clicky for a lack of a better term to me. 718 AP2 will definitely be my next irons if they keep the feel and feedback of these 716s. Launch was higher than what I'm gaming now and distance seemed comparable off my eye. Overall big improvement IMO from the 714s to these.
There is a good chance I'll be gaming the as well. I'll save my pennies and be looking for an upgrade in the fall of 17.

There is a good chance I'll be gaming the as well. I'll save my pennies and be looking for an upgrade in the fall of 17.
I'm right there with you buddy. If that's the route you're thinking maybe we can find a nice play to get fit. Maybe MA? or NC?

I'm right there with you buddy. If that's the route you're thinking maybe we can find a nice play to get fit. Maybe MA? or NC?

makes 3 of us. The 718s are a hawkstyle ponder at this point

makes 3 of us. The 718s are a hawkstyle ponder at this point
Got room for a fourth? Hate to be that guy that invites himself, but this sound like to good of party to miss out on.

As far as the feel and sound go, I definitely agree, as I mentioned in the review that sticks out. As for the performance though, there just was no real jump from the 714 side by side with the same setup when I reviewed both sets. Hopefully, they get more outside the box in terms of pushing tech and performance with the 718.

As far as the feel and sound go, I definitely agree, as I mentioned in the review that sticks out. As for the performance though, there just was no real jump from the 714 side by side with the same setup when I reviewed both sets. Hopefully, they get more outside the box in terms of pushing tech and performance with the 718.
Honestly can't say for me, but I certainly trust your opinion. I had the 714s for about 6 minutes before I went with a different direction lol. Absolutely adore the looks of the 714 but felt to me they lacked in feedback. So I should have clarified that the improvement for me was in the sound/feel/impact. Over all improvement I couldn't give a honest assessment with what little time I spent with both sets.

Honestly can't say for me, but I certainly trust your opinion. I had the 714s for about 6 minutes before I went with a different direction lol. Absolutely adore the looks of the 714 but felt to me they lacked in feedback. So I should have clarified that the improvement for me was in the sound/feel/impact. Over all improvement I couldn't give a honest assessment with what little time I spent with both sets.
Definitely a change for the better in feel, though I know they left a lot of long time AP players unhappy based on the starship like lines of the flange and them reducing that famous Titleist click to a much more muted tone. I personally loved the sound/feel change, but it was a hoooooooot topic by many at my two home courses.

Definitely a change for the better in feel, though I know they left a lot of long time AP players unhappy based on the starship like lines of the flange and them reducing that famous Titleist click to a much more muted tone. I personally loved the sound/feel change, but it was a hoooooooot topic by many at my two home courses.
See I couldn't get down with that click. When I had the 714s I'd hit shots that would come up short and it just left me wondering where the hell on the face I struck it. Give me that muted thud everyday and twice on Sundays. I hope they stick with it!!

I'm still really considering these. I've been playing well recently, playing to about 14 or so in the last month, handicap still 16... Is that 'too high' to be considering AP2's? I've wanted to move to a forged club for quite a while as I do prefer the feel with those that I have tried, ie this years Callaways and AP2's but not sure where the crossover level starts to come in with moving from a full GI iron set like my Rocketbladez to an AP2 style. Any advice guys? I guess the only way to do it is really ot just go for it and work with them... Mid year sales about to start here in Aus so a good time to invest.

I used to think just like this, when I went into my last fitting earlier this year, I just assumed that I would get fitted into the XR OS irons. Then the fitter handed me the Apex CF16, I said, "I'm not good enough for those" (Was a 12.5 at the time). He said, "Yes you are, just hit them". Long story short, the Apex CF16 iron straight up out performed the XR OS and I ordered them on the spot. I'm now a 11.1... Hit everything without a preconceived bias, and play what works best for you.

Dax

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Back