Titleist 716 AP2 Irons - THP Review Thread

This is the one thing I wanted to see/read about this thread. Had the AP2s when they first came out. Got rid of them and have regretted it every minute since. I am going to go with either one but wanted to see what you said in regards to 714/716 performance. Sounds like the 714s will do just fine. Thanks for the review.

I will say this, one thing that IMO is exponentially improved is the feel of the 716 version. The harsh click at impact of the 714's is gone and instead its a solid sensation that instead has some density to it. For me, being a big 'feel' guy, that would be enough to go 716, but on the other hand I do much prefer the 714 aesthetics personally.

Just got an email from my Pro that we're getting LH fitting pack on Friday so I'll finally be able to hit these outside this weekend. For some reason my wife was not as excited as me.

Just got an email from my Pro that we're getting LH fitting pack on Friday so I'll finally be able to hit these outside this weekend. For some reason my wife was not as excited as me.

They never are buddy, they never are!!!

I will say this, one thing that IMO is exponentially improved is the feel of the 716 version. The harsh click at impact of the 714's is gone and instead its a solid sensation that instead has some density to it. For me, being a big 'feel' guy, that would be enough to go 716, but on the other hand I do much prefer the 714 aesthetics personally.

I noticed the increased feel on these as well. For me, both the ap1 and ap2 in this lineup (716) felt good, my misses were just more pronounced with the Ap2s. I agree on the aesthetics comment, i think they took a step backward on both lines.

Had my first range session with these yesterday. Due to the shorter days I can't get out to play till the weekend so that info will have to wait. On the range though, I can't believe how long these are(for me). No joke, they feel like they're a club- club and a half longer. I'll put them on Arrcoss and verify at the weekend. Easy to hit 4 iron through W with a pleasant heft to them that in my case is a change as I used a lighter club with significantly lighter shafts previously.

They sound fantastic, as Jman said they aren't click like the 714s were. They sound and feel really solid at impact. Almost a Thwackish sound. Too me that's a huge improvement as the sound was one of the major reasons I didn't like the 714s.

Looks wise they're just top drawer now. This again is a huge improvement over the 714s in my book. I know it's personal opinion but I find these to be a much classier design then the 714s were.

Overall I'm quite happy with them and looking forward to getting them on the course.

Good looking clubs. Thanks for the review Jman.

Good review. Good looking irons and just weren't a big enough improvement over the 714s for me to go this route.

Very solid home page review as always James. These irons intrigue me and by sound alone I would go 716 if I wanted Ap2's. Might have to look into these somewhere down the line.

Just replaced my G30 irons with AP2 5-PW and a AP1 4 iron 1 degree weak. Haven't been able to play them yet as it's been raining here in DFW since Thanksgiving. Hitting the demo clubs with the GC 2 I was more consistent and distance was the same even though the lofts are 3-4 degrees weaker. I've been playing for 2 years now and wanted more feedback with less help to get better. These are a very forgiving club IMO compared to everything else I hit.

Very solid home page review as always James. These irons intrigue me and by sound alone I would go 716 if I wanted Ap2's. Might have to look into these somewhere down the line.
You aren't alone dude. I prefer the looks of the 714, but the sound/feel of the 716 is exponentially better. Though performance is definitely a wash.

Thanks for reading everyone!

Great write up dude! Great effort!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for the info James. The Titleist irons have been in the back of my mind as that's what I was playing just before I found THP. I had DCI oversize + and was looking for info on TM burners 2.0's. These are gorgeous and hopefully are in the fitting cart to try at my upcoming fitting

Great review James I'll be giving these a go when I start looking for new irons.

I went in with my heart set on either the callaway apex pro 16's or cf16 but ended up ordering the ap2 716's after hitting all 3 for an hour. Never had a titleist club before. They are going to have to be really good to beat out my bstone j15 cb's, looking forward to spring. Ordered 4-GW with AMT s300 shafts 1/4" short & 1 degree flat

I went in with my heart set on either the callaway apex pro 16's or cf16 but ended up ordering the ap2 716's after hitting all 3 for an hour. Never had a titleist club before. They are going to have to be really good to beat out my bstone j15 cb's, looking forward to spring. Ordered 4-GW with AMT s300 shafts 1/4" short & 1 degree flat

I have the J15 CB's too, and from what I have seen from testing the 716 AP2's, you'll like them. Consistent and a tad more forgiving than the J15's. Not overly, but it seemed to hold speeds a little bit better across the face. Also the set gap wedge is something I've been missing recently

Thanks, appreciate the info. I don't do good with 2 of anything so I will have to get rid of one of the sets come spring time. Will give the ap2's a good month before I reluctantly sell the bstones.

Thanks, appreciate the info. I don't do good with 2 of anything so I will have to get rid of one of the sets come spring time. Will give the ap2's a good month before I reluctantly sell the bstones.

I'll be interested to see what you end up going with, because I am interested in Ap2's as well.

Recently got fitted I can't wait to pull the trigger on the order (will probably have to wait until after the holidays).

I've never been custom fitted for clubs besides trying out and comparing them in the bays at Golftown, so I already had high expectations in comparison to my off the rack standard Ping i25's with the CFS - Stiff shaft.

The clubs I tried were the Callaway Apex Pros, Mizuno MP25, Srixon 745's and then the Titleist AP1's, AP2's, and CB's. I learned I have a pretty steep swing and really hit down on the ball so needed a combo that could get the ball in the air a little more and that the shafts I've been using (for all clubs) are too light for me.

The combination that worked out best for me were the AP2's with the KBS Tour 120 Extra Stiff shafts. Went with the 4-PW

I also got fitted for a Titleist H2 21 Degree with a GD AD DI8X Hybrid shaft as well.

Please find numbers/results below.

Trackman_1.jpg

track_man_2.jpg

Unfortunately it will @ least 5 months before our courses open up here but will definitely update in the spring. I have a golf trip to Phoenix the beginning of May but will take the bstones if our ranges aren't open before then.

Apologies for the double post.

Last edited:
My latest iron purchase 716AP2, your thoughts?

My latest iron purchase 716AP2, your thoughts?

You can call me golfielocks. I've purchased 3 iron sets in the past 4 months. My first set was the Bridgestone J15cb with Nippon modus 120 shafts. These irons flat out performed but were a little demanding on off days. Nothing wrong with these irons but I was looking for a little more forgiveness on those off days. Enter callaway apex cf16. Purchased these irons a couple weeks ago and they are great! Very forgiving and extremely long. Only issue I had is I like to work the ball, just the kind of player I am. I had trouble flighting these irons down and working the ball like I wanted. These irons are very very good and I may introduce them back into the bag at some point. Ok so a few days ago I just received my Titleist 716AP2 irons and these sticks are simply amazing. Not quite as forgiving as the cf16 but more so then the j15cb. The tt amt s300 shafts are great. The heavier shaft suits my swing better and I can work the ball so much easier. So these are my Golfielocks irons, just right. I'm not rich I just happen to be in a unique position where I can get PUD on most OEM models. Let me know what you think and if you've had experienced any or all of these 3 sets.

Sounds like quite the adventure! But its awesome that there are all these options available to consumers. Everyone can find something they enjoy

Merged into the 716 AP2 thread.

Back