Titleist 816 H1/H2 Review Thread

Six4three5

Tour Star...Layin' Up!
Reaction score
Handicap
2.5 GHIN
I searched but couldn't find an actual review thread for the 816 H1/H2 if I missed it, mods feel free to merge!!

Looks: For the H1

I'm not "inlove" so to speak with the grey colored crown and wish it was black, but it sets up fine to the ball with the black face. The H1 in person to my eye has a bit of a "spoon" look to it at address, it's not totally obvious, but to my eye it's there. It has a more rounded look to it than some of the other current hybrids on the market, but overall it has the looks of what you'd expect of a hybrid.

Sound/Feel: As most believe, myself included for golf sound and feel go hand in hand. This club has a very nice "thud" or "thwack" when caught in the center. I've noticed it has a bit more of a metallic sound when struck off towards the toe. This club provides instant feed back on where on the face it was struck without being that penal. When struck in the center it feels extremely solid and pretty much what you'd expect from any club struck in the center of the face.

Performance: This is where this club absolutely shines. I'm not sure I've ever swung an easier club to hit. I originally tested one at a Titleist demo day at my home course when I was looking at a different option other than the 712u. From the first ball I hit with it I knew I was going to own one. It provides a fantastic ball flight when struck properly and one you'd expect from a hybrid. I have no issues launching it high from just about any lie. Something I've had to get used to with this club is the straighter ball flight. As of late I've been playing a stock draw as my normal shot shape but with the club it just seems to fly high and straight on my target line without turning over to my actual target. I've noticed on the range that when struck on the toe the ball just seems to climb high and fall left of my target. Struck on the heel and the same only falling right of my target. When struck in the center it just flies high and dead straight.

Any questions let me know I'll do my best to answer thoroughly! If anyone else is swing these feel free to add your thoughts!!

Last edited:
I'm not a big fan of the color either but with the performance I have gotten over that.

I've noticed the straighter flight to and any movement either side usually is from a bad swing or just missing the shot. Out towards the toe seems to add some height to the shot.

i like the confidence this club gives me when I stand over the ball

Sounds like a club I want to try when the opportunity arises. Thanks for the info on it Jimmy.

I'm not a big fan of the color either but with the performance I have gotten over that.

I've noticed the straighter flight to and any movement either side usually is from a bad swing or just missing the shot. Out towards the toe seems to add some height to the shot.

i like the confidence this club gives me when I stand over the ball

Curious if you ever tested the TaylorMade JetSpeed in comparison?

Nice review! I too find the color of the crown different and would prefer black. I have been happy with my 915Hd's and the color may keep me from trying these.

Nice review! I too find the color of the crown different and would prefer black. I have been happy with my 915Hd's and the color may keep me from trying these.
Thanks buddy! I know the color isn't the greatest but I strongly encourage to at least demo them. I'd be very surprised if you still preferred the 915H over the 816. H1 is much more forgiving than the 915 IMO. Also I just launch the H1 much higher and better than the 915.

Thanks for the review. I have a 23 and 27 that are still in the wrapper. Flying out of town in a few hours so it will be a month before I get the chance to give them a try.

Curious if you ever tested the TaylorMade JetSpeed in comparison?

i have had no time with jetspeed. During that period of TM releases their products were hit or miss for me. I was playing a couple Ping hybrids at the time and wasn't looking to change.

i was playing the apex hybrid before making the switch to the 816. I enjoyed the apex and found it to be one of the better hybrids I had played for ease of hitting, control of ball flight and to be more of an iron replacement.

I made the switch to the 816 as I made some changes to the bag and needed a 20-21* hybrid vice the 23* apex I had. I was struggling with the apex at times to get some height out of it and chose to go with something that was a bit bigger head size and helped get some added peak height out of my shots.

it could have been the KK shaft in the apex that wasn't helping as much as maybe another shaft in there could have.

i have had no time with jetspeed. During that period of TM releases their products were hit or miss for me. I was playing a couple Ping hybrids at the time and wasn't looking to change.

i was playing the apex hybrid before making the switch to the 816. I enjoyed the apex and found it to be one of the better hybrids I had played for ease of hitting, control of ball flight and to be more of an iron replacement.

I made the switch to the 816 as I made some changes to the bag and needed a 20-21* hybrid vice the 23* apex I had. I was struggling with the apex at times to get some height out of it and chose to go with something that was a bit bigger head size and helped get some added peak height out of my shots.

it could have been the KK shaft in the apex that wasn't helping as much as maybe another shaft in there could have.

Test them out side by side when you get a chance. I know your ball flight pretty well from earlier this year, and think you will surprise yourself with the 2 side by side.

Thanks for the thoughts Jimmy. I love my 915 and it looks like I may be giving this one looksee. The rounder shape is interesting to be, like a mini fairway wood. I really didn't notice the color, so it doesn't bother me.

Good stuff Six4Three5

I've chimed in the other thread with a lot of my thougths, but I agree with everythign you hit on. The color is a non issue to me. I don't usually get to in love with a certain color or look, as long as it works for me.

You nailed the "twack" sound, that's exactly what I hear when I hit it solid, which is just about every shot. I agree, it is probably the easiest club ive ever hit. I have the 21 and 23 and have even considered the 26!

As Emart2173 said, the ball flight is pretty darn straight, not much fade or draw in my case.

I will just add for anyone who thinks becasue it's a Titleist, it's only for single digits, that is so not true with this club. I had tried a Titleist hybrid a couple years ago and found it extremely hard to hit, I was shocked at the ease of these.

Thanks for the thoughts Jimmy. I love my 915 and it looks like I may be giving this one looksee. The rounder shape is interesting to be, like a mini fairway wood. I really didn't notice the color, so it doesn't bother me.
It's funny you said that because when I was thinking about the looks I was actually considering saying it kind of looks like a fairway would cut in half or 2/3 of a fairway wood but wasn't sure that would have made sense. If you have hit these yet definitely try em. Totally different from the 915.

I really like both of these hybrids and they perform extremely well. The price is a little nuts on them though IMO.

I really like both of these hybrids and they perform extremely well. The price is a little nuts on them though IMO.
Agreed the MSRP is crazy high for a hybrid however most country clubs that I've been to never charge full MSRP price on their clubs.

I posted on the other thread how much I freakin love this club. I bought the 23 degree H1 a few weeks back, and it is my favorite club in the bag. By a mile. I've tried a few hybrids trying to get the right one. This is it!!! It's so darn easy to hit. I like the fact the shaft doesn't seem ridiculously long so I feel I have control over the swing, the head frames the ba all beautifully, and I quite like the grey crown. The feel though, is addictive. It compares to my XR16 driver.
Yesterday I was playing my bogey hole. I have a 170 carry over water. There is little error for coming up short. 9 times out of 10, it's into a stiff wind. I normally now lay up turning this thing into a par 5. However, now I have the H1, I feel confident going for the green. Yesterday, 170, wind in face, I choked down a fraction and let rip. I hit a great baby draw that hit the green and stopped. I couldn't help but have a huge grin on my face.
If there is a better hybrid out there, I'm yet to see it. As I said in the other thread, this club needs more love!!!!

I posted on the other thread how much I freakin love this club. I bought the 23 degree H1 a few weeks back, and it is my favorite club in the bag. By a mile. I've tried a few hybrids trying to get the right one. This is it!!! It's so darn easy to hit. I like the fact the shaft doesn't seem ridiculously long so I feel I have control over the swing, the head frames the ba all beautifully, and I quite like the grey crown. The feel though, is addictive. It compares to my XR16 driver.
Yesterday I was playing my bogey hole. I have a 170 carry over water. There is little error for coming up short. 9 times out of 10, it's into a stiff wind. I normally now lay up turning this thing into a par 5. However, now I have the H1, I feel confident going for the green. Yesterday, 170, wind in face, I choked down a fraction and let rip. I hit a great baby draw that hit the green and stopped. I couldn't help but have a huge grin on my face.
If there is a better hybrid out there, I'm yet to see it. As I said in the other thread, this club needs more love!!!!
That's great stuff right there!!

The limited time I spent with these hybrids gave me a few quick thoughts.

The H1 is like the ultimate tee club for shorter holes IMO. High launch, lower spin, just wants to go straight, sounds really nice, quite long for the loft. H1 is not so good at holding greens though - needs more spin and I couldn't quite get it to launch high enough to land softly.

The H2 is the opposite. Mid launch with higher spin to hold greens and easier to work the ball (or miss depending on skill level haha). It was fun switching between the two of them and seeing the numbers change drastically.

The limited time I spent with these hybrids gave me a few quick thoughts.

The H1 is like the ultimate tee club for shorter holes IMO. High launch, lower spin, just wants to go straight, sounds really nice, quite long for the loft. H1 is not so good at holding greens though - needs more spin and I couldn't quite get it to launch high enough to land softly.

The H2 is the opposite. Mid launch with higher spin to hold greens and easier to work the ball (or miss depending on skill level haha). It was fun switching between the two of them and seeing the numbers change drastically.
See I have no issues holding greens with the H1 because of how high I hit it. It just seems to get to peak height and then just fall out of the sky for me. But you're definitely right. When I was testing the 2 of them H1 was high launch low spin where H2 was mid launch higher spin. I just decided to go with H1 because of the 2 balls I caught toe side testing and see the results. It was kind of laughable actually.

See I have no issues holding greens with the H1 because of how high I hit it. It just seems to get to peak height and then just fall out of the sky for me. But you're definitely right. When I was testing the 2 of them H1 was high launch low spin where H2 was mid launch higher spin. I just decided to go with H1 because of the 2 balls I caught toe side testing and see the results. It was kind of laughable actually.
Yep, I would say of my two the 23 definitely holds greens very well, the 21 I have used mostly on par 5 second shots or even the tee for a short par 4, I've hit it into greens less than the 23, but I'll try and pay attention to that if I have any come up soon.

I actually really like the look of the grey. I'd probably prefer that over black.

What is the difference between the H1 and the H2? head shape or shaft choice? Until you posted this i dint even know there was an H2.

What is the difference between the H1 and the H2? head shape or shaft choice? Until you posted this i dint even know there was an H2.
H1 is the more forgiving of the 2. Slightly larger head and it promotes a higher launch with less spin where as the H2 is a bit more compact at address and is more of a mid launch high spin. I believe the shaft options don't change between the 2 heads.

H1 is the more forgiving of the 2. Slightly larger head and it promotes a higher launch with less spin where as the H2 is a bit more compact at address and is more of a mid launch high spin. I believe the shaft options don't change between the 2 heads.

ok thank you Jimmy.

Back