Titleist C16 Driver Preview

This just reeks of legitimizing PXG.

This just reeks of legitimizing PXG.
I wouldn't say that, to me it's Titleist finally letting its hair down and daring to do something that isn't buttoned down and straight forward, trying to show that they can innovate too.

I wouldn't say that, to me it's Titleist finally letting its hair down and daring to do something that isn't buttoned down and straight forward, trying to show that they can innovate too.

To bad the price puts it out of most peoples comfort zone

I respectfully disagree. This is their MBA squad looking at sales and seeing that there is profit to be made and PXG exposed it. Someone did a CBA and realized this would be a no risk test in my opinion.

But honestly its one of the few reasons people are even curious.
True I just don't want to even try it because if i like it i know there is no way i can buy it but it is good to see some innovation coming from them

I respectfully disagree. This is their MBA squad looking at sales and seeing that there is profit to be made and PXG exposed it. Someone did a CBA and realized this would be a no risk test in my opinion.

I wonder how much this line even makes them in the end. It is so limited and if they are truly trying to push the envelope with R&D and premium materials I think this is more of a lets get some buzz about the brand product than it is a money maker. In the end it makes them more money but not directly off the line

You means PXG did that with XXIO. Bob Parsons deserves a lot of things, but credit for creating high margins isnt one of them.

You means PXG did that with XXIO. Bob Parsons deserves a lot of things, but credit for creating high margins isnt one of them.

I am not crediting Parsons with creating the model. But I think PXG has likely passed XXIO in North American marketshare and has sold enough that its brought more attention to that market.

I am not crediting Parsons with creating the model. But I think PXG has likely passed XXIO in North American marketshare and has sold enough that its brought more attention to that market.

Im not sure I agree with that (the marketshare part).
But then again XXIO has had a couple of years head start and neither are anywhere near a number that is very high (far less than even half a percent).

Im not sure I agree with that (the marketshare part).
But then again XXIO has had a couple of years head start and neither are anywhere near a number that is very high (far less than even half a percent).

If PXG hasn't already passed XXIO in marketshare here in the States, they definitely have passed them IMO in the number of golfers that actually know about their company and what their prices are. I doubt that very many average golfers know about either company, but I think many more hardcore golfers know about PXG than XXIO.

So you are saying that Titleist is finally "daring" enough to charge an obscene amount of $$$ for a golf club just to try and match what Miura and PXG have been getting away with?
This appears to be pure greed, not innovation.

Your opinions may vary......

If PXG hasn't already passed XXIO in marketshare here in the States, they definitely have passed them IMO in the number of golfers that actually know about their company and what their prices are. I doubt that very many average golfers know about either company, but I think many more hardcore golfers know about PXG than XXIO.

Nothing to dispute...Tour use and signing a dozen players over a week does that.
But geography plays a role here as well as time.

Neither are selling a ton, and both have huge margins...No different than this driver.
And if we incorporate the world, its night and day.

But honestly its one of the few reasons people are even curious.

Oh after reading about it I was very curious considering how much I've liked my last 2 Titleist drivers. But interest went out the window when i saw the msrp. But it will be interesting to see how they use the technology in their future products, or don't use it.

I would not be surprised if they could sell out the entire run in Japan where high price is important to people and I would think the name would carry some weight along with the price.

I'm sort of torn on Titleist right now. Perhaps this is them taking the leash off their engineers and releasing everything they have in one, but I just can't help but feel like they are searching a little bit for a direction.

As far as the C16 goes that alignment aid is not cool, but I like the gloss grey paint in the pictures.

It's 775 with my club discount but still not worth it imo
I got a chance to look at this at club with Kang and the crown of this club is super shiny. Took me for shock that at that price it didn't have a better finish and alignment aid. Almost seemed a bit gimmicky.

Got the opportunity to take a few swings with this tonight. Our club pro just got it and had it out on the range. I have to say that I really enjoyed it. My first swing was the best and it was explosive. As good as any sweetspot ive ever felt. Forgiveness was good and I didnt mind the alignment aid at all. Shiny grey paint looked cool till I caught some glare. Dang.

I liked the club a lot. Enough to believe it is worth the price tag? Nope. Its a $500 driver. Maaaaaaybe $600, tops. Very, very good driver though.

Interesting feedback. I haven't been able to hit it yet though I've hit the irons and was somewhat surprised and excited though not excited enough to drop $3k on them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cannot see any circumstance where I pay $1100 for a driver.

I guess I am a cheapskate

Cannot see any circumstance where I pay $1100 for a driver.

I guess I am a cheapskate
I'm with you. I just don't have that kind of disposable income. It can guarantee me 15 yards more of the tee (which it won't) and I still wouldn't pay anywhere close to that. Like some have mentioned, they may find their target audience in Japan.

I went to the range at Eagle Glen after work yesterday, and Titleist had a small tent & gear setup. I asked the rep about the C16 (because I wanted to see it in person...) and he said, "Well, it's by appointment only. But what the heck, I'll take it you're making an appointment for right now, and I'll go get it. It's in the truck."

When seeing the pictures of this driver, I liked the sole design. I was "meh" about the face and crown. However, as with most things, pictures don't do it justice. It's a beautifully crafted driver. I still think the face design is too busy (keep in mind, I'm used to my 915...). The crown was more impressive in person; that said, it could've done without some of the gimmicky looking paint trim on the edges that - in my opinion - make it look like a mass market driver. The silverish color was okay, but watch that glare!! Holy sunlight batman. That was the biggest downside of this driver to me (other than the price, which I'm leaving out of this).

The rep asked if I wanted to hit it. Heck yes I did! The C16 I hit was set to A1 (standard lie/loft), 10.5*, Kuro Kage LE Tini 50 (55g stiff), with the surefit grip.

So I gave a good dozen or so swings with it.

This thing is a rocket. The ball just absolutely launches off the face - or feels like it does anyway - and it just feels amazing. Honestly, the difference to me between the C16 and 915 was like hitting a cast vs. forged irons. There's just that extra, rather tough-to-articulate "feeling" that just begs you to hit it again and again. The 915 is no slouch in this, but the difference in feel when compared to the C16 was very apparent to me.

I think much of that feel may also be attributable to the shaft. The shaft is a gorgeous piece of art, with a shadow chrome type finish (no glare on this one) - and, it fit me well given that I play a lighter shaft in my 915 as well (M+ Diamana). The shaft felt a tad softer in the tip compared to mine, but felt smoother. It reminded me of a lighter version of a Kusala Blue.

The sound was incredible. It's not as loud or as sharp as the 915 is. It has a similar tone, but more muffled. Not "ting-y" at all.

The ball flight was piercing, no ballooning, and pretty much dead straight on most of my swings. I was having a blast with this thing, so me being more relaxed probably helped in this area.

There was no trackman or anything, but as for performance compared to my 915? It's very similar. Carry on the C16 was about the same, maybe 5-10 yards farther, but it's hard to tell at that distance at the range.

Face forgiveness was similar, although I'd probably give the nod to the C16 in this area. I had a few mishits, and the ball would more or less track straight and give a decent amount of carry for what was otherwise a poorly struck shot. The 915 is stellar in this area as well, however for me it tends to have more sidespin on mishits than the C16 did. Perhaps this is a function of the cg differences.

In short?

Pros: super hot face, sounds amazing, the feel is the best I've ever hit. Sole looks great, seems to have a high build quality and attention to detail. The shaft is awesome.
Cons: I know I said I wouldn't bring it up, but $$$$$. It's not worth what it is. Performance was similar to the 915...although granted that was only with a dozen swings and not really optimizing the fitting. I'm not entirely convinced it could outperform my 915 by a meaningful amount. The crown graphics steal from the otherwise classy appearance. The color of the crown looks great, but has a ton of glare.

I'll be keeping my 915. I'm glad to have had the chance to spend some time with what will otherwise be a rare driver, and I was very thankful to the rep for the opportunity.

P.S. The rep said a guy earlier had bought TWO of them. TWO! lol, unbelievable.

Back