Titleist Tour Soft Golf Balls Review

JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Any opinion on how these match up to the Q-Star Tour?

Enjoyed the review James. Seems like a quality 2 piece ball with performance one should expect and it's interesting/makes sense that you found a person who hits the ball lower found it harder to stop these even down the bag. Unfortunately, the misleading naming convention and sheer price of the dozen are huge head scratchers for me and will stop me from trying (more price than naming).

• Admin

One is a three piece urethane covered ball and the other is a 2 piece surlyn cover. Closer comparison in lines would be to the new AVX.

Based on how often the price seems to end up having the $ symbol just changed to a £ symbol here in the UK, that could be a very expensive ball

If they were to end up being £34.99 over here, that is more expensive than what I paid for the last dozen Chromesoft balls, and why would I pay that when I can get a ball with a urethane cover that will give me better performance (for me) for a cheaper price?

Good review as always James, but not a ball that will be interesting me based on the construction alone

One is a three piece urethane covered ball and the other is a 2 piece surlyn cover. Closer comparison in lines would be to the new AVX.

Beat me to it. Yep, the cover in and of itself IMO makes it apples to oranges.

Based on how often the price seems to end up having the $ symbol just changed to a £ symbol here in the UK, that could be a very expensive ball

If they were to end up being £34.99 over here, that is more expensive than what I paid for the last dozen Chromesoft balls, and why would I pay that when I can get a ball with a urethane cover that will give me better performance (for me) for a cheaper price?

Good review as always James, but not a ball that will be interesting me based on the construction alone

Thanks dude.

I'm not sure how interesting it will be to many considering the competitors design wise out there that are at an easier to swallow price point. But, because of the name on the ball, they will sell (and I in no way mean that as a slight to Titleist).

I truly hope these perform better than the Tru-Soft. Honestly, I just don't see how they couldn't. I'll give one a try if I happen to find one though. Nice review jman.

Sent from my LG-M430 using Tapatalk

Great review, James. I've been anxiously waiting to hear your thoughts on this one. As expected it sounds to me like a solid ball but that drop off from a urethane to surlyn cover does little for me. Great to see another option on the market, but I don't see myself making the move any time soon. Priced decently I can see that this ball should have a decent level of success for Titleist. Thanks buddy, great job!

Quote from Jman

"No, I am not going to dive into the battle that is ongoing pertaining to just how Titleist has marketed this golf ball, nor am I going to compare it to that ball."

Lol, why not?!

Nice review. One question I have, when you test out balls, do you normally see such closeness in spin on full shots between surlyn and urethane balls. Like you said, short game is where the difference really seems to matter, but I was surprised to read that even on full swing wedges, it was pretty close in spin to a urethane ball.

~Rock

Thanks dude.

I'm not sure how interesting it will be to many considering the competitors design wise out there that are at an easier to swallow price point. But, because of the name on the ball, they will sell (and I in no way mean that as a slight to Titleist).

Yeah, there are a lot of well-priced balls out there that could potentially make this ball a bit of a flop, but, like you say, with that name on the ball there will be people who will flock to it because of that alone

I have tried a few Titleist balls in the past from the NXT to the Pro V but have never been a fan despite the supposed popularity of the brand and this latest iteration isn't doing anything to change my mind

Quote from Jman

"No, I am not going to dive into the battle that is ongoing pertaining to just how Titleist has marketed this golf ball, nor am I going to compare it to that ball."

Lol, why not?!

Nice review. One question I have, when you test out balls, do you normally see such closeness in spin on full shots between surlyn and urethane balls. Like you said, short game is where the difference really seems to matter, but I was surprised to read that even on full swing wedges, it was pretty close in spin to a urethane ball.

~Rock

Slightly off topic, apologies, but I played the Bridgestone e6 for a while, and despite the characteristics of that ball I was still able to get the ball to stop pretty quick on full shots, but on the partial shots I had to allow for a lot of run-out

This is all based on visual cues and not launch monitor results

Quote from Jman

Lol, why not?!

~Rock

On full swing anything its closer than most realize, its partial swings that the separation really starts to show itself in my experiences.

Picked up a sleeve of these this past weekend.
It's a good ball but for $35 a dozen, there are several urethane cover options I can think of that are in the same price range.

I didn't notice any performance losses during my round though which is something I expect from a Titleist ball!
If you like playing surlyn cover golf balls, I don't think you'll be disappointed in the Titleist Tour Soft.

Great review, Jman! I always enjoy your review write-ups!

It's a solid ball but like I said in an earlier post, the price just makes it hard to justify IMO.

Also, thank you for not being a #ballwar contributor! :laughing:

Excellent review -- very informative.

On a somewhat related note, am I right in assuming that this ball is closer to the NXT Tour S than the NXT Tour in terms of feel? I'm trying to figure out what ball to switch to once my stash of NXT Tours runs out. Probably a cheaper ball (i.e., not the Tour Soft) to be honest...

Excellent review -- very informative.

On a somewhat related note, am I right in assuming that this ball is closer to the NXT Tour S than the NXT Tour in terms of feel? I'm trying to figure out what ball to switch to once my stash of NXT Tours runs out. Probably a cheaper ball (i.e., not the Tour Soft) to be honest...

Probably, but honestly it’s different than both. Larger core, softer core both playing a role there.

Probably, but honestly it’s different than both. Larger core, softer core both playing a role there.

Good to know! I guess I'll have to try a sleeve.

Good write up and review, James. I might be reading too much into what's written, or what's not written, but it seems like the performance of this ball can be found in many other lines that are considerably less money. That certainly doesn't make the Tour Soft a *bad* ball by any means, just somewhat middle of the road for golfers who don't really get a lot of spin around the greens anyways.

Good write up and review, James. I might be reading too much into what's written, or what's not written, but it seems like the performance of this ball can be found in many other lines that are considerably less money. That certainly doesn't make the Tour Soft a *bad* ball by any means, just somewhat middle of the road for golfers who don't really get a lot of spin around the greens anyways.
Yeah, it's pretty much my take in the end. It's solid, but in the end compared to other options out there it's going to be about the name on the ball more than anything, which isn't a bad thing at all. For Titleist, more options are good, and utilizing the Tour name will be a clever move in pro shops.

Back