To Slope or not to Slope. That is the rangefinder question

Carey

Reaction score
Handicap
12ish
I normally just use my GPS watch when I play but am finding more and more that I want to know how far it is to certain things and the watch can't do that so I want a rangefinder.

Started checking out rangefinders and now I'm wondering if I want/need slope. What is everyone's opinion on having slope with the RF?
Is it really helpful?
Do you not want it because it makes the device illegal for tournament play?
I'm leaning towards the tectectec without slope but I don't want to buy that and realize that I wasted my money and should have grabbed one with slope.

Bushel has a Tour V4 shift that has the slope that you can enable or disable so it stays legal in tournaments. I think if your going to invest the money in a RF you might as well get the slope. Better to have it and not need it rather than not have it when you need it.

My Bushnell has the slope feature and I used it often when I first got it. However now I seldom use it due to playing the same course most times and I know the approximate difference. If I were getting a new one I would get the slope feature again as it is nice feature to have when playing a new course.

I have one without slope which is fine on my pretty flat home course. When I go to other courses out of mr area that are not as flat, I wish I had the availability of the slope feature. The next one I buy when this one breaks down will contain that feature.

I think if being able to have slope is within your budget, it's well worth having.

I think of you can afford it go for it. It's one of those things that you may not use a ton but it's nice to have on the occasion you want it.

I use it all the time except tourneys. Certainly think its worth having if it fits your budget

I don't have it and really don't see the need for it where I play most of my golf.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

I use slope whenever I can. If you play courses with elevation changes it's worth the money.

I think slope is well worth the investment.

The ability to know, without question, how much extra/less yardage you might need to account for on shots is a great benefit where I play. Some holes I would usually play as stated yardage (before slope), I now play at proper yardage, with some being as much as a 20 or 30 yard change.

Sometimes the difference is not nearly as much as it would think, but still 5 or 6 yards can be make or break when approaching greens, or even when shooting at pins without a lot of room past/before the flag.

The NX7 Pro I have been using this year was very affordable, has Jolt, Pinseeker, and Slope. Really handy unit.

Get slope if you can afford it.

I don't slope. I didn't see the need for extra cost. Unless something has changed, the 'slope' part of it is just a calculation based on a normal shot trajectory. So if you hit high, or hit low, the slope number won't exactly fit what you actually need. That's just my opinion. Pretty sure the new bushnell has both for a reasonable price, and you can just switch it on or off.

~Rock

I love using slope. I still think that total yardage can get me into trouble if i dont take the time to think about pin placement and shot type but there is a sense of confidence knowing the exact yardage and what it is actually playing as. And slope features on rangefinders has done a fantastic job at exposing my lack of talent when judging yardage changes due to elevation haha

For those using slope, do you enter that score in to your handicap system?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Only if I'm also walking solo and playing my Indi Stingray wedge. Otherwise I don't count it. As they say "Three wrongs make a right" ... or is that three lefts make a right. :ponder:

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

I do. Handicap is potential ability and it all comes down to good shots and making putts. To me, slope on a range finder is no different than yardage plates in the middle of the fairway

I've found the slope feature on my rangefinder very helpful. It takes more of the guess work out of gauging distances.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have slope on mine and love it. It can be disabled if need be. If you are going to get one, get it with slope.

I have the slope feature enabled on mine, yet very rarely bother looking at it. I just go off the actual yardage.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I normally just use my GPS watch when I play but am finding more and more that I want to know how far it is to certain things and the watch can't do that so I want a rangefinder.

Started checking out rangefinders and now I'm wondering if I want/need slope. What is everyone's opinion on having slope with the RF?
Is it really helpful?
Do you not want it because it makes the device illegal for tournament play?
I'm leaning towards the tectectec without slope but I don't want to buy that and realize that I wasted my money and should have grabbed one with slope.

Slope is a fun element to have on a unit, however, having used both I don't feel like I'd lose much by not having it. The numbers are rarely that great, and most times it's very obvious where slope is applied (unless you play a really hilly course all the time).

Also keep in mind, a lot of the slope featured rangefinders are legal for tournament play as you can shut off the slope feature altogether.

I do. Handicap is potential ability and it all comes down to good shots and making putts. To me, slope on a range finder is no different than yardage plates in the middle of the fairway
But doesn't the slope feature replace the ability of a player to accurately adjust yardages when conditions warrant? It'd be similar to having a device read the green for you and pick your line. These are skills that a golfer must have, and if he's not good at them ... his scores will suffer. Not all ability is physical, there are a lot of mental aspects that dictate score as well.

But doesn't the slope feature replace the ability of a player to accurately adjust yardages when conditions warrant? It'd be similar to having a device read the green for you and pick your line. These are skills that a golfer must have, and if he's not good at them ... his scores will suffer. Not all ability is physical, there are a lot of mental aspects that dictate score as well.

I think a course would have to be pretty hilly for slope to truly factor. Things like wind and ground condition play a much larger role on a majority of courses.

I have and use slope often. As others have said, if its within budget, I would go for it.

The people that never used Rangefinders or GPS can say the same about distance. Shouldn't a Golfer have the ability to judge distance to the target without a device to do it? That's what the old school guys would say, no?

Back