Tobacco Road: The Solstice 54 Holes of Golf & 876 Minutes of Daylight

Jeff Spicoli

Grandaddy X!!!!!
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
Mr. Hand
On June 23rd @Carolina Dundee, @lightningbolt44, and I will be embarking on a journey of the mind, body, and soul at Tobacco Road Golf Course in Sanford, NC. It is a 54 hole event with 18 teams. Half of the purse is being donated to The Helping Hand Clinic in Sanford. I believe this is the first time Tobacco Road is putting on this "pop up event". The event came up in my Instagram feed, and it was limited to the first 18 teams that signed up. It is a non-handicapped event. The attraction of the event for me was not the competition, but the opportunity to play 54 holes at one of my favorite courses, and in an event that will raise money for a great cause.

For those who have not played Tobacco Road, it is an unique and fun design by Mike Strantz. The fairways are wide for the most part, but if you get off track, good luck. Being on the right part of the green is important. There are risk/reward opportunities everywhere.

The final 9 of the event is a par 3 course within the course itself called El Camino, which I am looking forward to playing.

The questions are already swirling: Will we be able to play from sunrise to sunset without injury or need of an IV? How many wardrobe changes will be needed? Is it okay to use a staff bag if we finish in last place? Can @lightningbolt44 hole-out on 16 for the third time in a row? Can @Carolina Dundee keep his approach on the green on 16? Can I keep my tee shot on 16 on the face of the planet?

My plan is to post some photos and updates as best I can as we go.

Here is a link to the event for those who are interested and a breakdown of the format:

The pursuit of health and wellness extends beyond our fairways and greens. The Helping Hand Clinic of Sanford, NC, shares a similar passion yet different mission. They are an organization who “seeks to provide compassionate and competent medial, dental, vision, and pharmaceutical services” to residents of Lee County, NC, who find themselves in need. To the players who find their leisure moments in The Game as a pursuit for wellness, we invite your team of three to undertake the full challenge of The Solstice. A field of 18 teams versus 54 holes of golf and 876 minutes of daylight. The tournament purse to be split between the field and The Helping Hand Clinic.

To learn more about The Helping Hand Clinic visit their website: https://hhcsanford.com/

Registration IS FULL! To be added to the waiting list please email Martha@tobaccoroadgolf.com.

Event Details:

• Date: Tuesday, June 23, 2020
  • Double Tee Start with first round tee times starting at 7:10 through 8:14.
  • Multi-Format One Day Event
    • Round 1: 3-Person Best Ball
    • Round 2: 3-Person Texas Scramble
    • Round 3.1: 3-Person, 9-Hole Cross Country Course
    • Round 3.2: 3-Person, El Camino
  • Box Lunch Included
  • Half of tournament purse to be paid out in shop credit.
  • Half of tournament purse to be donated to The Helping Hand Clinic.

Can’t wait to follow along

Looking forward to this, I'm planning on a Tobacco Rd trip this November!

I have been wanting to play Tobacco Road! Especially, after playing Tot Hill Farm.

9-hole cross country?!?!? Awesome! I did my first cross country event at a member-guest this spring and it was a blast. I might be biased since we won in a putt-off. It's such a unique and fun event. Need to do some research on the El Camino game.

Heck of a trip for you guys! Played Tobacco Road last fall and loved it. That opening tee shot was intimidating on the first round. No problem second time around. Par 3 by the cabin is another cool hole.

Look forward to reading your updates and seeing the photos.

9-hole cross country?!?!? Awesome! I did my first cross country event at a member-guest this spring and it was a blast. I might be biased since we won in a putt-off. It's such a unique and fun event. Need to do some research on the El Camino game.

Heck of a trip for you guys! Played Tobacco Road last fall and loved it. That opening tee shot was intimidating on the first round. No problem second time around. Par 3 by the cabin is another cool hole.

Look forward to reading your updates and seeing the photos.

Search Tobacco Road El Camino to find details but it is a hidden par 3 course within the regular course.

This is going to be a very interesting day with @Jeff Spicoli who I've known for more than a decade and @lightningbolt44 who I've never met.

When I last played a very wet Tobacco Road course from the back tees in Feb with @Jeff Spicoli the idea of doing something like this would have been a hard no. I must have blocked most of that day out of my mind because I was super excited to get in on this when he found the IG post Sunday night. It will be nice to get some roll out on tee shots this time but I'm a little worried about the greens.

The format looks amazing with the only real round of the three being the first one of the day and the last round two 9 hole formats that are not regularly available.

I'm bringing:
- a cooler full of water, Gatorade, and snacks
- shoes for each round
- socks for each round
- shirt for each round
- hat for each round
- extra gloves
- extra sunscreen

Did I forget anything?

Search Tobacco Road El Camino to find details but it is a hidden par 3 course within the regular course.
Just looked it up. Very cool. We played 36 during our visit. However, we talked about coming back and renting the cabin.

36 (each round from a different box) + El Camino = a perfect day!!!

This is going to be a very interesting day with @Jeff Spicoli who I've known for more than a decade and @lightningbolt44 who I've never met.

When I last played a very wet Tobacco Road course from the back tees in Feb with @Jeff Spicoli the idea of doing something like this would have been a hard no. I must have blocked most of that day out of my mind because I was super excited to get in on this when he found the IG post Sunday night. It will be nice to get some roll out on tee shots this time but I'm a little worried about the greens.

The format looks amazing with the only real round of the three being the first one of the day and the last round two 9 hole formats that are not regularly available.

I'm bringing:
- shoes for each round
- socks for each round
- shirt for each round
- hat for each round
- extra gloves
- extra sunscreen

Did I forget anything?
Can't remember the Tobacco Road locker room but I did a similar trip to Sand Valley last year. We walked 54+ holes. A shower after 36 (and a fresh coat of powder!) qualified as a glorious experience. Add that to your list.

https://www.thehackersparadise.com/...consins-newest-destination.86150/post-8562918

this will be fun to follow, good luck and stay hydrated!

I'm bringing:
- shoes for each round
- socks for each round
- shirt for each round
- hat for each round
- extra gloves
- extra sunscreen

Did I forget anything?
I would bring a second pair of shorts and another pair of underwear. It shouldn't be too humid that time of year, but you know just as well as I do, how humid that time of the year can get.

I'm bringing:
- shoes for each round
- socks for each round
- shirt for each round
- hat for each round
- extra gloves
- extra sunscreen

Did I forget anything?

Lots and lots of Naturdays.

A friend does a summer solstice event at his club 54 holes on foot. The course is a pretty easy walk but can be a very tough round of golf if the wind comes up. I haven't done it and I am not sure my body can handle it but I would love the opportunity to find out.

A friend does a summer solstice event at his club 54 holes on foot. The course is a pretty easy walk but can be a very tough round of golf if the wind comes up. I haven't done it and I am not sure my body can handle it but I would love the opportunity to find out.

I checked to make sure it was not a walking event. Not sure I could do 54 holes walking.

TR would be a tough walk if I remember it correctly. The course I was talking about is pretty flat.
I prefer walking but TR would be a tough one for multiple rounds.

Good luck! this sounds like a great time and I am really jealous.

I'm bringing:
- shoes for each round
- socks for each round
- shirt for each round
- hat for each round
- extra gloves
- extra sunscreen

Did I forget anything?

Gold Bond. I feel like you're just asking for a rough evening if you forget.

TR would be a tough walk if I remember it correctly. The course I was talking about is pretty flat.
I prefer walking but TR would be a tough one for multiple rounds.

I wouldn't mind walking it for one round, but more than that would be brutal.

Sounds awesome...Enjoy. Tobacco Road is fabulous. Great cause...

I love solstice golf events. My brother and I used to do one Of our own every year At a course in our home town. Usually got at least 54 holes in and one year we got a 4 round in with it being “darker than the cameras make it look” by the 18th hole

Back