Too Cold for Golf?

Usually is, ground is frozen and you watch the balls bounce 20 yards in the air when you hit a fairway/green/cartpath/rock at that point its all the same lol
no body checks though which is a win

We play this course near RI/CT line that never closes, owner will even snowplow the fairways. But there's a par 3 where you have to bounce it off the frozen pond and then it has to bounce just short of the green to have any chance of staying on. Anything else it's a goner.

I usually play all winter if course is open, but below 20 is rough.

Being in Vegas I have the opposite problem. I'll layer up when it gets down in the 40's here, but I stop playing once it hits 105.

Sent from my SM-N976U using Tapatalk

50* is as low as I’ll play, wind or not.

I played 2x this year in the high 30's to start and had to use hand warmers. It is hard to concentrate when you're shivering, esp. while putting

we joke about the summer as being the off season. We enjoy winter golf I think for 2 reasons (getting outdoors, and fast pace of play).

Typically we play when the temps are 40 or more and dry. 45, sunny and no wind I hate to call winter golf. Honestly it is about as good as it gets.

If anything is bad about winter golf it is simply the angle of the sun. super hard to find balls at times.

I've played in the high 20s with the sun shining. For me it's not the cold so much as frozen greens that are the issue.

38 when i teed off yesterday, 48 today....

I have turned into a fair weather golfer. 40 degrees is my cut off these days

You can also bounce it over water hazards...

Been there, done that!

we joke about the summer as being the off season. We enjoy winter golf I think for 2 reasons (getting outdoors, and fast pace of play).

Typically we play when the temps are 40 or more and dry. 45, sunny and no wind I hate to call winter golf. Honestly it is about as good as it gets.

If anything is bad about winter golf it is simply the angle of the sun. super hard to find balls at times.

Had that a bunch the last time we played. Looking into that low Sun, it was hard to see anything. We got into the habit of just driving past where we thought the balls were, then turning around and driving back with the Sun behind us. Easy to see the balls then.

Above 40 degrees, I'm a go unless its really windy. Today's modern layering clothing makes keeping warm much easier.

Great question bro. Well you know where I live you know what I’ve played in. 😂 I could do 40° with no wind I have played in about 35° no wind sunny, if there’s no snow on the ground in Iowa or surrounding states we play. I thought it was pretty entertaining when we were at the Grandaddy 2018 that both me and @Boder had no problem grinding it out and playing on that miserable day, Rain and cold weather, but our playing partners From California seemed pretty miserable. LOL #Midwestlife

Today. Didn’t play with temperatures in the mid to high 40s with wind and rain. The wind and rain were the deal breakers for me. I would be disappointed as the season is ending here, but it’s going to around 60 degrees later this week.

50° if the sun and shining and no wind.

A few years ago I played in a tournament and it was 38 degrees and overcast with a 10 mile an hour steady wind. The air was damp as well, and I have never been more miserable on the course. I am embarrassed to say I shot 112 (14hc). I just couldn't thaw out and could do nothing right. I am 65 years old now and refuse to subject myself to miserable conditions the play golf , I will wait till next year and a new season. I have other Hobbies that I partake in to fill the void.

It’s never too cold for me but if it’s pouring down then I won’t start a round

If the course is open, I’m playing. That said, I have been spoilt living where I do. We were discussing where we will be playing next week, when one of the guys said we should probably play a bit inland next week, it’s gonna be a cold one....... it’s going to go down to 58 LOL.

I will play in the high 30s if there is no wind and even more if the sun is out as long as the greens aren’t frozen. I teed off on Saturday and it was 41* with the sun out and very little wind. I wore a long sleeve tee shirt, a mock and a SM Rainflex long sleeve pullover and was plenty warm. By the middle of the round it was mid to upper 40s and very comfortable. I almost always walk and carry my bag which keeps it much more comfortable I would never ride in a cart at that temperature.

Just north of Detroit we have a decent forecast for this coming week, looks like I may be able to get around in.

Attachments

• 2020-11-01_19.37.01.jpg
    2020-11-01_19.37.01.jpg
    28.2 KB · Views: 3
Im from Wisconsin, so theres really no such thing as too cold for me. Ive even played snow golf a time or two. Its all a matter of dressing for the weather and after that, its all a mental thing. Just dont be cold. LOL

Had a 1.5 hour frost delay yesterday-- only got to play 9 due to another commitment, but believe it was 39 at tee off. Like many other folks have said, if the wind isn't blowing I can stomach something in the 20's. When you bring in the wind-- I'm probably a 35 or higher kind of guy.

I'm not into layering up, too stuffy feeling, I'll do a pullover but that's it, I'd say a high in upper 50's and sunny is the lowest for me, any cooler and the wind chills get too low.

sub 40* might be too chilly. I think 45* can be doable. Walking helps get blood flow!

Back