Tour Edge Exotics XCG4 Fairway Wood

BenJ

Reaction score
Handicap
Wrists
So I've had my XCG4 fairway wood for a month or so now and I'm just blown away by it. I hadn't seen anyone else talking about it, so I wrote up a review from my perspective on it. As with all Tour Edge Exotics fairway woods, price is always the detriment. I got my 4 wood brand new, but for an absolute steal. I know this isn't always possible or desired, but I personally feel like these clubs are worth the price if you can get them at a price you are comfortable with.

If you just look at the specs on the website, you may be intimidated at first. 184cc is not a small 3 wood head. The 4 wood, which I tested, is the same size. In comparison to previous Tour Edge Exotics fairway woods, the XCG4 is about the same overall size as the XCG3 and is noticeably bigger than the XCG-V. Going all the way back in time, the original CB1 nearly looks like a hybrid in comparison. Starting with the XCG3, Exotics clearly wanted to add distance and forgiveness by enlarging the head. Enlarging the head generally increases the surface area of the face, enhancing the sweet trampoline effect that titanium gives you. Much like the XCG3 before it, the XCG4 gave me an initial shock to the eye. The head is very wide and very deep, but the face appears to be a lower profile than previous models, which I personally like. To compare it to something more common, it looks like a slightly larger PING G10 fairway wood.

On the sole, the XCG4 is fairly similar to the XCG3. The weight ports are apparent and the badging stands out. I personally thought that the XCG-V was hands down the best looking sole in the XCG line and maybe ever. It exuded a look of class that justified the price being paid. To me, the XCG4 sole is probably the second best in the XCG line. It looks refined, yet displays its nod towards the technology in the club head. The second thing I notice on the sole, and really more from the profile shot, is the aerodynamic difference between this and previous models. There is more of a slope up on the sole, which should help with swing speed as well as turf interaction.

The shaft on my 4 wood is the stock Fujikura Motore Exotics 65 gram, stiff flex. The paint job on this shaft is a little flashy, but not offensive. I am a moderately fast swinger at about 95 MPH driver swing speed and I found this shaft to be true to flex compared to other stiff flex shafts I own. While there is definitely a camp of people that detest Exotics' stock shafts, I'm generally not one of them (except for the X-Quad... ick). After testing for a few weeks, I'm convinced that the stock Motore shaft in the XCG4 is a very good pairing to the head. It is active enough to help you shoot far, but still allows for plenty of consistency. It also feels very similar to the Motore 70 that my R9 fairway wood had.

To round out the club, the men's grip is a Golf Pride New Decade Multicompound with Exotics branding. It's a premium grip that, while I don't personally care for its feel, is a solid choice for a club at this price point that will appeal to the masses.

The first course of business, as with all new clubs, was to take this club out to my neighborhood range. After warming up with my hybrids, I took the XCG4 out of the bag and hit about 15 balls with it. With range balls, on mats that were fairly wet, and in about 60* temps, I was dropping most of my shots right in-between the 200 and 225 flags, which is good distance for me at this particular driving range. I had 3 observations. First, the balance on the wood is very good. The heavy sole can definitely be felt, but the head feels alive when you impact the ball, not heavy. Second, this is the best sounding wood I've hit yet. There is something very satisfying about the titanium sound. Third, I was fading the ball a good 10-20 yards. It was almost bad enough to be a slice.

I mention the 3rd point only to stress something that I've always found with the Tour Edge Exotics fairway woods. While Tour Edge has been working diligently to add forgiveness into their designs, these clubs are not for beginners. These clubs have always been geared more towards the low and mid handicap players. If you are counting on this club to help with or cure a slice, you are looking at the wrong club. This isn't to say that this is an unforgiving or a difficult to hit club, but it isn't here to fix or cover up a swing flaw. Since the XCG line began, Tour Edge has always listed the face angle on their fairway woods as "square" and I have always looked at them and seen 1 to 2 degrees open. I'm sure that this is a result of a lifetime of playing "draw" and other closed face fairway woods.

The other thing I've noticed that this club struggles with is the rough. I'm not altogether shocked by this fact, but I think it is worth mentioning. It's performance out of the deep rough was borderline terrible and even medium rough (2 inches or so) left a lot to be desired. The wide face really grabs the grass and the wide, flat sole does almost nothing to assist in this situation. I feel that previous Tour Edge Exotics models such as the CB1 and XCG-V performed much better in this area. I don't want to be too harsh about this because it's fairly obvious that this isn't an area it would excel at. I don't believe that Tour Edge went into the drawing room with performance out of the rough in mind. In fact, as far as I can tell, this club has exactly one mission: get your ball as far away from point A as possible.

Mission accomplished. As I continued to work my swing out and practice with this club I discovered two things. First, I like to swing a fairway wood like a baseball bat. Unless your name is Tommy Gainey, nearly no good can come from this. Once I mostly fixed that little issue, I found item two: this club is long. Wicked, insane, sick long. Just two nights ago I had this fairway back out at my neighborhood range. It was late in the day, about 50 degrees, and I was dropping range balls out past the 225 sign. Off the deck. I had really liked the XCG-V for the short time that I owned it, but this fairway really takes the design to the next level. Across the face forgiveness is very good. The launch angle is high, but the Motore shaft controls the flight very nicely. My distance in rounds played has been about the same as the range: 225-240 depending on roll. This is the longest fairway wood I've ever hit and I'm convinced that as my swing improves, it will only get better.

xcg4-1.jpg

xcg4-2.jpg

Good stuff ben j! I have always wanted to try one out, but dont see them to often.

Great review, I've been waiting for this one. i almost pulled the trigger on the XCG3, but when i saw this one coming and with the lower profile face Tthat should help getting the ball up I decided to wait. Can't wait for the northeast to thaw out, I found a TEE fitter about an hour away I'm going to have to pay him a visit. When I go wrong with my FW now it is usually a hook so the fade bias should be fine, and the yardages your talking about are exactly what I'm looking for. Thanks again for the great review!!!

I have the XCG 4-wood in my bag and love it. It's not the same as yours but it's great. When I bought it last year the owner of the local golf store, who is a friend, told me it was better than the XCG3 and since it was an older version it was dramatically less expensive. Putting it in the bag allowed me to take the 3 and 5 wood out to free up an extra slot for a wedge. When I need to hit 5-wood distance I just choke down on it and it works great. Absolutely a bomber from the fairway, and really nice off the tee. Can't say enough good things about it.

In my Bag:

Driver: Taylormade R9 Supertri 10.5 w/Fujikura Rombax 6X07 Reg Flex
Woods: Tour Edge Exotics XCG 4W
Hybrids: Callaway FT-IZ 3
Irons: Taylormade Burner 2.0 (4-PW)
Wedges: Taylormade TP xFT 50, 54, 58
Putter: Piretti Cottonwood II Midnight Black
Ball: Bridgestone e6 or Taylormade Penta

I have the XCG 4-wood in my bag and love it. It's not the same as yours but it's great. When I bought it last year the owner of the local golf store, who is a friend, told me it was better than the XCG3 and since it was an older version it was dramatically less expensive. Putting it in the bag allowed me to take the 3 and 5 wood out to free up an extra slot for a wedge. When I need to hit 5-wood distance I just choke down on it and it works great. Absolutely a bomber from the fairway, and really nice off the tee. Can't say enough good things about

I have a XCG 7 wood that I haven't fallen in love with so far. It's a little deeper faced than the XCG-V and XCG4.

I have the XCG 15 degree 3 wood, and when my driver is not totally switched on, that thing is my longest club. There's been more than a few times that I completely quit trying with the driver, and to be honest, I really don't think I lose much by just playing that XCG, unless my driver is really dialed in on that particular day. It also plays really well off the deck when I find myself in the fairway, or in really light rough. No fairway woods are great for me from deep rough, so I try to avoid forcing the issue there. I wouldn't necessarily limit the TEE fairway woods use to just low and mid cappers. I don't find it the XCG difficult to hit at all. I did have a bit more trouble hitting the CB2 off the deck though when I tried that one. I would definietly say folks should at least hit the TEE fairways if you get a chance. Every now and then you can find a deal on some used ones on Ebay. I think I gave $75 for mine, and it was in like new condition, with an Aldila NVS in it.

I love the looks of that fairway wood. Glad you found one that performs for you!

Ben,
This is a very informative review of the TEE xcg4 fairway wood. I can relate to alot of your feelings toward this phenomenal line. I also would say along with the other poster, that you don't necessarily need to be an excellent ballsriker to benefit from these clubs. Of course we all have some better ballstriking days than others, but the feeling off the clubface is the best in golf, at least of all I have tried. I was wondering if you have tried the xcg model, and how did it compare to the other iterations of xcgs .

Fantastic review!

...and you have me tempted. I haven't so much as looked at any other FW's since I put my CB1's in the bag the year they came out.

Matter of fact, I hadn't tried another Exotics offering since the CB1's and the original Exotics driver. But this year I picked up a XCG-3 driver and I'm very impressed. It may not make the starting bag but it's quality is undeniable.

So, between that club and your post... consider me unofficially enabled. :wink:

Thanks for the great review. That looks really nice!!! If I wasn't dead set on getting a pair of Mashies one of these would be on its way.

I bought the xcg-4 driver and it is working really nicely for me. I think the xcg-4 line up of woods look amazing. I hope someone gets their hands on the xcg-4 irons and puts up a review.

I love the looks of these clubs. The local golf shop is an authorized TEE retailer but he never has anything in LH. I've never even hit a TEE club and I feel like I should. I was actually there yesterday and was checking the XCG4 line out. I loved the shaft/grip combo!!

I think I'll request some for the outing.

Great write up BenJ...well done.

Ben,
This is a very informative review of the TEE xcg4 fairway wood. I can relate to alot of your feelings toward this phenomenal line. I also would say along with the other poster, that you don't necessarily need to be an excellent ballsriker to benefit from these clubs. Of course we all have some better ballstriking days than others, but the feeling off the clubface is the best in golf, at least of all I have tried. I was wondering if you have tried the xcg model, and how did it compare to the other iterations of xcgs .

Well, I tried to relate it to the XCG-V where I could. I only recently acquired a XCG 7 wood, so it's not a great comparison. As I said further up, I'm not in love with the 7 wood. From my experiences with 4 woods I'd rank them XCG4 > XCG-V > CB1.

I don't think you need to be an "excellent" ballstriker to use these, as I definitely am not, but I stand by my comment that this wood is not here to help with a slice. It is definitely not draw biased and the face is as square as it gets.

Back