i saw the commercial on this today and was intrigued

Funny you should ask. I decided to go back to the range today to continue my Tour Striker Pro (TSP) training. Today was a completely different experience. Knowing what the TSP requires for good shots I began by hitting two very nice mid trajectory draws that went much further than my regular 7 iron distance. As if to bring me back to reality, the next two shots were grounders. If I didn’t mention it last time, the TSP will always result in toppers or grounders unless you apply the proper technique.

As I continued to practice, the shots went back to being nice...really nice, actually. I hit the ball pretty well before, but rarely like this. While the shot shape is pretty much the same, the distance and trajectory are the difference with the TSP. The well struck shots with the TSP resulted in a more penetrating ball flight (a much over used term, but it really applies here). This is clearly attributable to better ball compression.

One thing that I should mention is that in my humble opinion the TSP will best benefit a golfer that already has the concepts of path and plane worked out. The club is hard enough to hit without wrestling with too many other swing issues.

In the middle of this session I used my 7 iron a couple of times to see what effect the TSP was having. I noticed that I wasn’t as disciplined with my own 7 iron. I had to incorporate the swing thoughts LAG, and TEMPO to get better results. The TSP makes you slow down your tempo in order to get the leading edge of the sweet spot where it needs to be during the strike. If you get quick with it, you are done. Once I made the corrections, my 7 iron was fine. Nevertheless, since I was hitting the ball so nicely with the TSP, I was enjoying using it more that my own club...crazy.

Speaking of crazy, this is a crazy game. One day you have it, the next day its gone. I will continue my practice with the TSP and let you know how things are working out if you would like.

I have been away from the game for several years and decided to get back in because I miss it and because I have a young son that wants to play. I started by going to the range once a day each day for two weeks in an effort to reacquaint myself with some sort of a swing. I noticed that I could hit a few good shots each day. I think that when you have a number of swing issues to work out you will find your way to getting the club head square several times each session one way or another. However, you are often at that stage getting the club head square at the expense of trajectory and distance. As my swing flaws started to get narrowed down to a reasonable number, I started hitting more and more good shots and my distance and trajectory were also improving. For the most part at this point I can trace most of my bad shots to either not getting my hands in front thus hitting the ball thin or not getting my right elbow in the proper position at the top. I am not suggesting that I am anywhere close to or will ever master this game. I am sure that I will struggle with all sorts of swing issues for as long as I play. While I now hit many more good shots during a practice session, when I go off I go way off. Unlike where I was a several weeks ago if I have allowed one of these swing flaws to find their way in to my swing there seems no chance of getting the ball to go anywhere as I won't even make an occasional good contact. So to Ironman's comment about it all going wrong some days, I actually suspect he is a pretty good ball striker comparatively speaking and when he has an off day, one aspect of his swing has gone wrong as opposed to a number of things going awry.

I have ordered one of the standard Tour Strikers and hope I have done the right thing. I was really worried that the Pro version would be too much for me at this stage of the game but I would have preferred a club based on a seven iron as opposed to a club based on an eight iron for one thing. In addition based on Ironman's posts I am beginning to wonder if I would be better off if it really required considerable effort to get myself into the right position at impact in order to really have the best opportunity to transfer what I can take from the Tour Striker over to regular clubs. Sometimes it seems like you really have to exaggerate a swing element at least in your mind in order to really incorporate that element into your swing effectively. I suppose I could always go back and get the Pro version if I think that makes sense. I have to admit that I was really intimidated just by the photos of the Pro version. In my case I am hoping that the Tour Striker helps to cure my tendency to hit the ball thin. Ironman, I noticed you did get the Pro even though you thought it would be pretty tough to hit. Were you thinking that the TSP would be tougher to hit but would give you more of an opportunity to transfer the feeling of proper position at impact to your regular clubs? Thanks for posting about your TSP experience.

That sounds good. I have played at PGA National several times. I also played at PGA West in Palm Springs a couple of years ago. Always quality courses. I am new here. Tell me more about the outing.

OK, for those of you interested in the continuing saga of the Tour Striker Pro (TSP) trial I have embarked on, here goes the final report.

It has been four driving range sessions since I received my TSP. At this point, I have pretty much become accustomed to swinging the TSP, and I only fail to get the ball airborne a couple of times per bucket. If you recall, my issues were; 1) A tendency to come out of the shot, and 2) Flippyness. Both of these flaws were resulting in grounders and toppers with the TSP on day one.

The TSP seems to be correcting these flaws. In order to hit down I am staying with the shot much more, and even when I don’t stay down as much as I should, I am having more success hitting a high rising line drive rather than a grounder. I am rarely getting flippy now. When I do, the shot has a higher trajectory, but good distance and accuracy. The repetition of hitting down is addressing my flaws in a positive way and the misses are very acceptable.

The really good news is that about 75% of the time the shots are resulting in pure mid-trajectory draws. The even better news is that my distance has improved. With the TSP 7 iron I have consistently hit the ball an average of 170 yards, with shots up to 185 when I really step on it, and a couple of 200 yard freaks. With my own 7 iron I have increased distance about 10 yards, from 150+ to 160+. The perfect compression of a shot well hit with the TSP seems to account for that club going further than my 7 iron right now.

After less than a week I have concluded that the TSP really does work. I hope this helps some of you out there. I can’t wait to keep practicing with the TSP and take the new gains to the course!

Last edited:
Really good review. I am convinced that this is what I need.

I ordered the TS wedge. It was the model that C. Martin, the guy that invented it, recommended for me. Looking forward to hitting grounders, lol. I'll post my feedback once I have some time with it. As a high capper, I wonder what my experience will be like.

Ironman, thanks for the review and updates, have you been able to transition the swing to your regular clubs?

Pretty much. As I said in one of the write-ups, I started working in my irons in the second session. I found that they were easier to hit, and I gained some distance. Also, since the TSP has such a small hitting surface even blades look huge when you pick them up after working with the TSP.

Great information in the write ups Ironman. I am considering picking up one of these.

Ordered one of these this weekend. Should be here tomorrow according to UPS. I'm a decent ball striker, but I'm hoping that some serious practice sessions with this thing might aleviate the minor issues I have from time to time. i.e., standing up in the bottom, etc.

In my case getting my hands truly ahead is a rare occurance. I am hoping that training sessions with the TS will help me really get the feel of having my hands ahead and will allow me to do it with more regularity.

Well I received my Tour Striker today. While it did not take long for me to start to get the ball in the air with the club, going back and forth between regular clubs and the TS was much more of a challenge at least for me. However this seems to be a very good training tool. I think it is a likely to be more effective if you practice with it almost exclusively instead of going back and forth. Since this was my first day with it I could not resist the temptation. Tomorrow I am going to start to hit with it for extended periods of time along with using some drills designed to get my hands out in front more often. Although I did not get the Pro version, the sweet spot on the club is so small that you are left very confident that you have made a good swing if you are able to get the ball in the air and flying straight. Luck plays no part in your success and neither has some advanced club technology. It is all you and that is a very good feeling indeed.
I still wonder if I should have gotten the Pro model although I guess the Pro would just require an even more pronounced forward press and lean. Would it be better to practice a swing that is more like what you will need to do with your regular clubs or is really forcing yourself into a very pronounced position to best thing to do? I really do not know the answer.
There is the added benefit of knowing that you are teaching yourself what a good forward press should feel like and you are encouraged to repeat that feeling. I think I am going to be very happy with it.

Did you watch the DVD? Mine came today, hope to get some range time with it in the next few days.

Yes I did watch the DVD. I think I will watch it several more times to get good hand and arm position at impact imprinted in my head visually while I try to imprint the feeling of getting my hands ahead of the club head on my muscles. His left wrist position is a little bit more pronounced than mine is at impact. I have for the most part tried to get the left wrist from the bent address position to straight at impact and his is a little past straight. Clearly his is better since it has to be easier to keep the hands ahead of the club head. I bet it helps get the right elbow clear and the right shoulder turning under your chin as you go from impact to follow through. Funny how a visual aid can help you clarify an interpretation that was almost but not quite right.

I should have added that while you can get the ball in the air with the TS without having hit it perfectly, when you do hit it perfectly you really get the ball in the air and the feeling is incredible. Much like hitting it right on the screws in baseball, the golf ball comes off the TS very soft as far as the feel is concerned but the ball just rockets off the club face.

My TS wedge came in today! Yay! The shaft was snapped in half, boo hiss. So I'm trying to work out the details with UPS and TS. I had a bad feeling when I saw the box and sure enough when I pulled the handle out the clubhead landed on the floor.

Man, I was so psyched for it to get here too, as is my teaching pro. He really likes the sounds of the TS.

My TS wedge came in today! Yay! The shaft was snapped in half, boo hiss. So I'm trying to work out the details with UPS and TS. I had a bad feeling when I saw the box and sure enough when I pulled the handle out the clubhead landed on the floor.

Man, I was so psyched for it to get here too, as is my teaching pro. He really likes the sounds of the TS.

Dude that blows!! Im taking my TS to the range tomorrow, see what happens.

One good thing is even if I get the run around from UPS and The Golf Agency, which I doubt, I have the clubhead. I should be able to get it reshafted. The question is how long am I stuck w/o it.

that sucks bortass! good luck with UPS and ts!

Thats too bad. UPS has delivered a busted shaft to me as well. They don't do a very good job taking care of their shipments it seems.

whatever happened to, what can brown do for you?

Thats too bad. UPS has delivered a busted shaft to me as well. They don't do a very good job taking care of their shipments it seems.

When did you get yours with the busted shaft? I'm wondering how your doing getting it resolved.

I've heard nothing from either party at this time. This is the first time I've had something delivered that was broken, so i have no idea if I'm in for a run around or not. I'm hoping TGA has good customer service.

I didn't get a TS with a busted shaft but a shaft I ordered on Ebay. I talked to the seller first and they told me I had to contact UPS since they delivered the package damaged. I talked to UPS and they told me the shipper had to submit a claim. I then called back the shipper and they said that maybe that was the procedure since I was in Canada but they handled everything fine for me at that point. It took about a week to have my money refunded since they had to wait for UPS to conduct an investigation.

I was told to hold onto the package just in case UPS wanted to see evidence of the damage but they never came back to see the damaged package. You may get the run around at first but it shouldn't be hard to get a resolution. I would recommend going through TGA to get it resolved.

Good Luck

Today was my second day at the range with the TS. First I took it out at home and took about 50 swings with it off the mat before leaving for the range. Then I took another 20 cuts or so with it at the range before pulling out any other club. While I could work down through the clubs I had brought without much difficulty (TS to 6 iron to 5 iron to 3W to Driver) I had real difficulty going from Driver immediately back to TS. I am kinda’ short so the contemporary driver is on a flat swing plane for me compared to taller folks. I think I am going to have to take several practice swings before striking the ball again if I am going to run up and down the bag at the range with the TS as the focal point of the session. I am always disappointed with myself when I have been impatient even if I am at the range. Maybe this was OK for today because I learned not to get over the ball until I am ready even at the range. It is not like I felt comfortable going back to the TS from the driver so I can’t say that I felt like I was going to take good cuts at the ball. I didn’t feel comfortable. However since I was at the range I thought I would try to hit my way out of it just to see how many swings it would take me. Again probably OK for this one time. It took a good 10-15 cuts at it before I could get back into a groove with the TS. Is this something that others struggle with as well or for the most part can people go up and down the bag or from irons to woods and back again at the range without much difficulty? If anybody has suggestions for going up and down the bag at the range while trying to get the most out of each swing please feel free to offer them up. I suspect they would be helpful regardless of whether or not folks are using the TS as a training tool.

Back