Travel Noob Recommendations

So I have NEVER flown with clubs before so I’m looking for some recommendations. I have a travel bag that I got years ago for signing up for some membership thing and would prefer to use it other than buying something new. I know I’ll need a support rod and remove driver headcover/wrap towels around stuff. Anyone have any other recommendations? Think the case I have will be ok? Thoughts?

Here’s the travel case. I do have access to borrow a hard case if needed but unsure of the brand.

Also I’ll be flying United, not sure if that matters much or not.
View attachment 9245971View attachment 9245972
There’s a solid YouTube video from ShipSticks about how to pack your bag but I think most are covered here

- pole/stiff arm to protect the bag from vertical force
- take heads off of clubs you can and turn shafts upside down in bag to protect adapters
- wrap towels around heads (or iron covers for those that don’t feel peer shame) to protect irons
- fill around bag with shoes and other stuff you need to absorb hits

- drop Apple air tag in bag (if iOS user) to track bag through airport

Timely thread since I'm flying with my clubs for the first time next week for the Goat Cup. Caddy Daddy First Class with North Pole ready to. Made notes of all the other good stuff here. Thanks to all who have chimed in with advice. (y)

Also appreciate this thread for my Goat cup planning haha question for those who remove club heads, do you just store them in a pocket of golf bag or put them in your suitcase?

Also appreciate this thread for my Goat cup planning haha question for those who remove club heads, do you just store them in a pocket of golf bag or put them in your suitcase?
Put in headcover and into the side pocket of my bag. If it doesnt fit there, just in my travel cover.

Loaded up everything in my new travel case and weighed it. Don't think it was accurate on a bathroom scale so weighed stuff separately to get a better idea. Looks like I'm hovering right around the 40lb mark so I have some room for an extra pair of shoes and towels. Going out I'll have less weight than coming back with the new wedges but should be close to what I have now. Wonder if Dormie Properties have a scale in the barn, just in case.....

How close do you usually run to that 50lb limit with your clubs?

Loaded up everything in my new travel case and weighed it. Don't think it was accurate on a bathroom scale so weighed stuff separately to get a better idea. Looks like I'm hovering right around the 40lb mark so I have some room for an extra pair of shoes and towels. Going out I'll have less weight than coming back with the new wedges but should be close to what I have now. Wonder if Dormie Properties have a scale in the barn, just in case.....

My last trip out of San Antonio I flew delta and was at 50.5. They didn’t care. I packed it the exact same way when flying back from Idaho they were going to charge me so I removed some stuff and it was right about 49.8.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I guess another question, do you lock you bag?

I have an SKB case. It does have a lock in the middle buckle. There is nothing that comes close to it that I have seen. They even have an insurance that’ll pay you up to $1500 for damaged clubs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My travel bag went to Briggs at around 40 lbs and came back around 45 lbs.

I've never traveled with golf clubs before, so this thread is good info.

I'm going to Arborlinks in June, and I'm thinking of picking up a hard travel case for the clubs instead of dealing with a soft one.

Not sure what airline, but it doesn't look like anything is non-stop from my local Airport..........so connecting flights is another chance for a loss bag.

I've never traveled with golf clubs before, so this thread is good info.

I'm going to Arborlinks in June, and I'm thinking of picking up a hard travel case for the clubs instead of dealing with a soft one.

Not sure what airline, but it doesn't look like anything is non-stop from my local Airport..........so connecting flights is another chance for a loss bag.
I travel a lot and lost clubs is a pretty rare thing due to connecting flights.

If you go hard case, make sure to remember that if you need to rent a vehicle in travels. They don’t always fit

I travel a lot and lost clubs is a pretty rare thing due to connecting flights.

If you go hard case, make sure to remember that if you need to rent a vehicle in travels. They don’t always fit

My travel plans are up to you.................Shaft Up #2

LOL

Great timing. Will be flying across country to LA in late July. Saw some mention of Shipsticks. Is that the better alternative? I don't mind paying for it for peace of mind and security.

Great timing. Will be flying across country to LA in late July. Saw some mention of Shipsticks. Is that the better alternative? I don't mind paying for it for peace of mind and security.
Its 💲💲💲

Yeah, about $80-100 each way

We've been in the golf travel bag space for 20+ years and I never recommend sending clubs via Shipsticks.

Shipsticks typically sends clubs via UPS/FedEx ground. That means your clubs are hitting every hub along the way which means a lot more stops and handling over the airlines. Just my 2 cents.

I looked up ShipSticks for my trip in June, next day delivery is $200 each way.

We've been in the golf travel bag space for 20+ years and I never recommend sending clubs via Shipsticks.

Shipsticks typically sends clubs via UPS/FedEx ground. That means your clubs are hitting every hub along the way which means a lot more stops and handling over the airlines. Just my 2 cents.
That's such a good point I've never considered.

Plus you'd be without your clubs for a few days before and after and then massive cost to ship overnight apparently. I'll stick with my new Constrictor Case!

Another thing to consider is travel bags are not designed to ship on semi and box trucks along with hard sided boxes which is where your clubs will end up when shipping via Shipsticks. But I totally get the convenience of having your clubs arrive separately without having to deal with them in the airport.
If you do use Shipsticks, I'd recommend a hard case from SKB but remember you're going to have to carve out a space in your garage when it's not in use :).

Note I'm not trying to speak negatively about any golf business. I'm simply trying to state facts from my experience.

Definitely points I had never considered. I'll order a hardcase and take them with me.

Does anyone use the TSA locks on the clubs? My order came through in prep for my trip and I picked up a set. Seems like not many use them in flight but I will take them incase I can't get a late check out at the hotel.

Does anyone use the TSA locks on the clubs? My order came through in prep for my trip and I picked up a set. Seems like not many use them in flight but I will take them incase I can't get a late check out at the hotel.

I do

TSA locks on a hard case here too. In case it matters- most airlines only cover damage if its in a hard case. Check with your carrier.
I take off the heads on the woods that I can. I have one wood that the head is fixed so I jam that clubhead down in the bag. I don't do anything special with the irons.
Clubs go in the bag with a towel or bubble wrap around and good to go. Multiple trips over the years here, the Caribbean and Scotland.

The best tip I can give any traveler is to invest $20 bucks in a luggage scale from Amazon. Its a comfort going to and returning from a golf trip knowing you are under 50 lbs.
Have never used ship sticks or air tags but not like I wouldnt. Both have advantages

I bought a little luggage scale at Ross that has been a great investment.

Used to have a hard case, they're heavy and don't fit in a lot of rentals, but obviously offer the most protection.

Have been extremely happy with the Caddy Daddy First Class, gave the SKB away.

Back