Travel Noob Recommendations

Trmpt98

2024 Vokey / 2023 GOAT Cup / 2019 Bridgestone
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
So I have NEVER flown with clubs before so I’m looking for some recommendations. I have a travel bag that I got years ago for signing up for some membership thing and would prefer to use it other than buying something new. I know I’ll need a support rod and remove driver headcover/wrap towels around stuff. Anyone have any other recommendations? Think the case I have will be ok? Thoughts?

Here’s the travel case. I do have access to borrow a hard case if needed but unsure of the brand.

Also I’ll be flying United, not sure if that matters much or not.
IMG_8655.jpegIMG_8654.jpeg

That looks fine. I have a similar travel cover. I use a pole and take the head off my driver. I have never had any problems.

Are all “stiff arms” good or should someone look for a particular one?

Are all “stiff arms” good or should someone look for a particular one?
I actually looked at two at the store today, the bag boy, and the Caddy daddy, the bag boy looked to extend a little taller, but the caddy daddy, the buttons were a little easier to work where the bag boy you seem to need something to push in to make it taller or smaller. Like a pen but it definitely was more compact when not in use.

I ordered the caddy daddy version (North Pole)

Last edited:
I like to wrap my irons heads around a couple of towels to help with the iron heads bouncing off one another.

Get an Apple Air Tag and put it in your bag.

Edit: Most airlines count your bag as a standard checked bag as long as it’s under 50 lbs.

Last time I traveled it was Southwest must have been over weight which is why I was charged and I was not paying attention.

You will be fine. Have fun and enjoy the trip.

Last edited:
You will be fine.
I always throw extra jackets and shoes in that bag. It helps with packing and provides a little extra protection.

They are going to charge you for oversize luggage anyway, so load it up with clothes.
According to United website golf clubs are not considered over size if under the 50lbs.

Great suggestions here. I hav3 taken my clubs all over the globe probably 100 flights with no issues or breakage. Just weigh it beforehand and make sure stay under 50 Lbs. In addition to wrapping large towel around iron heads I also put shoes in side pockets as additional shock absorption.

Also if need extra balls, throw them in your carryon bag with any heads you pulled off beforehand.

They are going to charge you for oversize luggage anyway, so load it up with clothes.
I've never been charged extra for my clubs. Is that just with a certain airline?

Golf equipment doesn’t generally count as oversize luggage as long as it is under 50 pounds.

@Trmpt98 that bag should be fine. I take any removable heads off and put the shafts in the bag tip down. Wrap the iron heads in a towel and I usually put a golf jacket or something else around there also. I have never used one of those poles but they are probably a good idea. I usually fly several times a year with clubs and have never had any problems. Of course I am probably tempting fate as I am flying Monday with clubs.

So I have NEVER flown with clubs before so I’m looking for some recommendations. I have a travel bag that I got years ago for signing up for some membership thing and would prefer to use it other than buying something new. I know I’ll need a support rod and remove driver headcover/wrap towels around stuff. Anyone have any other recommendations? Think the case I have will be ok? Thoughts?

Here’s the travel case. I do have access to borrow a hard case if needed but unsure of the brand.

Also I’ll be flying United, not sure if that matters much or not.
View attachment 9245971View attachment 9245972
Like everyone said, take head off driver, use the pole and I wrap my golf towels around the irons and put the putter in the center of the bag.

I’ve had tsa go through my golf bag before. I usually pack a towel or shirt in the spade around the heads to keep them from moving. Upon arrival those items were just thrown in the case. Don’t think id ever trust detaching the head and having them mess with even more stuff. That’s why I purchased a SKB club case. Nearly impossible to have anything break in one of those.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just note that depending on the airport, carrier and loading, the Air Tag can lose connection and show as being in the terminal instead of the plane. That can also cause some unwanted exitement.

I've had passengers show me that their Air Tags are not onboard and we must get them in. While I know for a fact that all luggage is loaded.

Solid advices here for me to also make notes for later!

Make sure when you've finished packing the bag and zipped everything up cinch down those two large straps that run around the perimeter of the bag.

I’ve had tsa go through my golf bag before. I usually pack a towel or shirt in the spade around the heads to keep them from moving. Upon arrival those items were just thrown in the case. Don’t think id ever trust detaching the head and having them mess with even more stuff. That’s why I purchased a SKB club case. Nearly impossible to have anything break in one of those.

I’ve got a soft sided bag and was thinking about using Ship Sticks for my trip to Scotland. Looking at those SKB cases, think I’d rather have that forever and just check it for the flight. Looks like a solid option. Thanks for the heads up!!

If anyone is looking for a deal I just ordered the Caddy Daddy Northpole and had a shoe bag package for basically the same price as just the pole $29.99 (pole $27.99).

Caddy Daddy NorthPole & Bag

Another thing you can do is put your golf bag’s rain hood on and then stuff that space with towels

Another thing you can do is put your golf bag’s rain hood on and then stuff that space with towels
That’s a great idea

I’ve never really understood the whole take heads off thing, and I’ve never bothered. So long as you have something in your bag that is taller than the driver you’ll be fine. If you can’t get hold of a strong arm, a broom handle will work. The way golf bags are handled, the risk of damage comes with the shafts as bags are chucked on various roller beds and trailers. The damage risk comes from a side blow rather than an end blow. If your travel bag has some padding, and you do a good job of stopping the clubs rattling around within the bag, you should be ok. The only guarantee though is a hard case.

I’ve never really understood the whole take heads off thing, and I’ve never bothered. So long as you have something in your bag that is taller than the driver you’ll be fine. If you can’t get hold of a strong arm, a broom handle will work. The way golf bags are handled, the risk of damage comes with the shafts as bags are chucked on various roller beds and trailers. The damage risk comes from a side blow rather than an end blow. If your travel bag has some padding, and you do a good job of stopping the clubs rattling around within the bag, you should be ok. The only guarantee though is a hard case.
I guess the mindset is if the head is off and the bag falls, less chance of snapping at the adapter if it’s off. I take them off just cause it feels better safe than sorry, and it only takes a few seconds to remove and reattach anyway.

As far as people worried about AirTags, they don’t ping off of android phones from what I’ve been able to tell. Odd, but it is what it is. I look at mine when I get to my seat so I know it’s at least plane adjacent and likely being loaded on soon if not already, and then when I get to the baggage claim. It saves me some panic if I don’t see it terminal side yet when I’m at baggage claim.

I swear I have 4 TSA tickets in my SKB. When I pack for my trips now I leave all 4 of the tickets right on top of my towel that I drape my bag with from end to end. I have not had a recent TSA ticket left in my bag since I started doing this. LOL

Back