NEWS True Temper Binary Shafts + Contest

JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
New shafts from True Temper hitting today called Binary and here is the info below.

To make this a lot of fun, we are going to give away a set of these to a forum member in a really unique way.

Contest
Read over this info and then post a question about this shaft line in this thread that you want answered straight from the experts. Later this week, we will post the answers to some of these via video right in the thread with @DB TT himself.

We will answer quite a few, but one lucky question asker will win a brand new set of shafts courtesy of True Temper.

From True Temper
Binary allows you to no longer compromise performance when choosing between steel or graphite but instead maximizes performance by providing you with steel where you want it and graphite where you need it. Binary is the first steel and graphite combo set that allows for multiple set makeups by offering different shaft material options (steel or graphite) in the #6, #7 and #8 irons. This allows each golfer to choose, based on their needs, where they want their steel to graphite transition to happen and gives them the power to create a set personalized to fit their game. Binary is a highly engineered set of steel and graphite shafts that are perfectly designed for each other by maintaining frequency, balance point and flight characteristics between the steel and graphite shafts to provide a seamless transition when switching between the two shaft materials.

Binary Steel.png

Binary Graphite.png

Binary GolfWorks2020 V2 copy.jpg

The first question that comes to mind for me is how do you coordinate the swing weight, shaft weight with the binary set? How is that taken into consideration during the fitting?

Assuming these shafts are geared more towards non long hitters......seeing as the yardage gaps get capped at 145+ yds for a 7i...

Cool fun contest! This is not an entry but I am curious to who the target demographic is in these.

Does the shaft weight remain consistent within the set going from graphite to steel?

I assume yes.

@DB TT how was weight considered when designing the set and how do they blend depending upon the markup that the player chooses or is fitted for?

does swing speed factor in here, asking because my 7i yardage is well above the 145 mark?

How much does feel come into play in the transition between steel and graphite? It is very noticeable, or pretty well masked by other factors?

With such a setup, is there any sort of feel difference between the transition between the two shafts? I know that's a very subjective response, but do you run into the graphite being more active in certain parts of the overall shaft vs the steel?

What kind of ball flight are these shafts geared towards?

Would these be geared to a mixed set of irons or would they work in a single set as well?

Also these look awesome and I would love to try a set out.

I see the steel shafts incorporate the VSS (Vibration Suppression System) technology. What percentage of vibration is dampened with these compared to say the Elevate shafts? In terms of feel with the VSS, does the steel feel the same as the graphite thru the swing & at point of impact?

Sounds intriguing, first question is feel related, moving from a graphite 5 iron to steel 6, how would the flex feel between the graphite and steel clubs.

2nd is what is the main driver to offering a mixed set like this, graphite vs. steel is historically one or the other. Would a 100% graphite player benefit to going back to steel or is this a subtle segway to get graphite in more players hands?

How would the sudden weight loss affect the difference between the 5 and 5 Iron transition (if that's where it falls for someone)? Also, can kick points be customized as you move up or down the set?

As a hitter that does not get the Max Distance, how do this Binary Composite differ from Graphite for a MidHCP/SR Golfer? Thank you for your time and contest.

Interesting idea. Wonder where this would fit in with your stronger golfer?

GREAT EFFING CONTEST THP and True Temper!

1) How much VSS is in the steel part of the shafts?
2) Why does the complexion of the setup stop at 145+ vs say 155 only two shafts are graphite?
3)How would you match your wedge shafts back to an Iron set made up of Binary Shafts?
4) The steel is chrome and graphite is black, is this the case for all setups or is there a singular colorway option available?
5) Please break down the stiffness profile i.e. is it S/R/X a la current TT offerings or is it a number convention similar to PX 5.0/5.5/6.0/6.5?
6) Is this getting any traction on Tour currently?
7) How much of spin/trajectory(in rpms) increase is this compared to a DG iron shaft?

Thanks for taking the time to answer the questions @DB TT

Excited for this release gents @TT SC @+7 KPTT @McD TT !

How much will temperature affect the feel at the switch between steel & graphite? Will playing in extreme heat or cold have much affect on the two different materials?

Would the weight all be the same in transition or heavier/lighter? And what about flex? I went from R in steel to a S in graphite, would these set be able to be custom ordered with different flexs?

Generally graphite shafts in irons have also been used to assist folks who have some discomfort as well. When going to a set that might not be one or the other how do we take that into account?

Is there a difference between reg. or stiff or is it a combination

My 7i is a 155 yard club for me. When I configured my Ping G410 irons, the basic fitting put me into the AWT 2.0 S flex shafts. I tried a heavier shaft, but my dispersion started to suffer. Lighter was not explored. In your chart for the transitioning from steel to graphite, I would fall into the < 6i steel; 5i and up graphite. This happens to coincide with big demarcation in my ability to hit irons. 6i is a nice launching 175-179 yard club. But the 5i suffers from a failure to launch thus fails to out hit the 6i.

In the Binary line of shafts, what is the performance characteristic from the graphite shafts that would address this? Is the ability to have a lighter weight shaft while retaining the stiffness key to overcoming this weakness in the 5i performance? Or does the potential balance and tuned flight characteristics super seed purely a weight saving (thus fast club speed) affect?

Thanks.

This shaft is an interesting thing

Here is the link to the true temper page.

It appears that there is a single flex option. The fitting comes in on where you split the set graphite/steel. The shaft weights are 73 grams and 88 grams again graphite/steel.

I LOVE THIS IDEA!!

On the development of the Binary shafts, how much data was gathered on golfers to make these choices between the shaft material types?

I have been playing graphite shafts forever and wonder why in the graph above, your company would have me in graphite only in 3-5 irons and the rest steel. It's my ignorance speaking, but I love my graphite so why mix it up and do you change flex with the change in shafts or all they all e.g. stiff?

Back