True Temper Elevate Tour Shafts

As always I want to thank JB, Morgan, True Temper (specifically Scott and +7), Mizuno, Hammock Beach, and all the other OEMs who helped put our event together. Without all of that, I wouldn’t have been able to play these excellent iron/shafts for the past few months.

Now, to be honest, I initially was pretty skeptical of this line. I just didn’t see a fit for them in the market (shows how much I know haha). Of course, I also don’t know much about shaft knowledge, and Id like to thank Scott, Keenan, and DB for helping me with that.

I have been playing these for the past few months and I am trying to figure out the best way to review them. Heads/talking about full clubs is easy ish IMO, but when you’re trying to talk about just the shaft, it gets into a lot of subjective info. Especially for a guy like me who can play with pretty much anything and be happy as long as it feels somewhat decent and looks close to what I want. I also, hold head design higher on the feel chart than shaft so I was like, “oh man, how do I review these things without basically just reviewing my JPX 919 tours?” All these semi pre-conceived notions.

The elevate shafts are supposed to help your launch go up while keeping spin and overall ball flight mid to low ish. From what I have seen on the course, I think DG has done a very good job getting that profile/attributes here. I’m certainly not seeing any type of ballooning in shots even into the wind. The spin is a bit lower than I thought (numbers from recent session on GC Quad), No idea what my typical launch has been in other irons, but I feel like it is higher with these for the type of head I have them in.

I put these against a shaft that I have wanted/loved to hit in bays, a shaft that I felt was roughly the same. That would be the Project x LZ but in 5.5 (reason being that after being put on a CPM the 5.5 was the closest to the S300 Elevate). Weights are roughly the same (115 and 117 Grams). Profile is somewhat similar, better launch with a medium flight and lower spin. I didn’t hit a lot of shots, but I did want to at least get a small sample of numbers in order to see the differences between the two. I also hope to go back and go with different profiles as well, DG 120 and on the opposite side of the spectrum, xp100 in order to see just how different these launch profiles can be in an average golfer.

Between the Elevate and the LZ, there isn’t a major difference in most areas of ball flight.

Club SpeedBall SpeedLaunchSpinPeakDescentCarry

Biggest take away for me? The shafts are pretty similar. The LZ is a lower spinning shaft, and while the launch and descent angles are similar, the LZ flight is certainly a little flatter/lower. Huge difference? No, but enough to give me a little bit more yardage in the elevate (though could be due to the better CS and BS). I’m no numbers expert, so I have no idea if I am near optimal or not, but I feel like the spin is almost too low for me? Maybe a test with the Elevate 95 is in order…

Now, why I would never move to the LZ (even though I have loved it in the past). The feel is way different. I thought the LZ felt great when it first came out. Nothing better. Now that I have played the elevates since September, I can say, the VSS is legit. Super good feeling with no harsh feedback (though enough to not make it feel dead), and the kick on the elevate just feels so much more lively on quality strikes than the LZ.

Verdict: I’m loving the Elevate tour. On the course, I am having a lot better command (well as much as a medium hc can haha) of my shots whether I want to hit a stock shot, a flighted lower bullet, or full on swing to hit it way high up. I thought I would never move from graphite after trying out a quality shaft offering from another company, but the elevate has certainly swayed me. One caveat to that though, is the Project x catalyst which I did get to hit the other day and it didn’t disappoint….. Although, steel is just good. I am really happy with these. The only graphite I might entertain in the near future would be a catalyst 100/80 in the long irons and a hybrid. While the launch is improved with these elevates, I just don’t have that SS to get all I need out of the longer irons (and I love long irons haha).

That is it for now. I will certainly continue to be playing these so of course will have some good feedback down the road as well. Especially once the weather truly turns into golf weather around here and I can see what these things can do on firmer greens.

Played Sunday with these in cold wet somewhat windy conditions.

Really enjoying these shafts still. Launch was where I wanted (Mid to Mid high) Control was great as well.

I definitely think these are my gamers go forward.

I need to get these on a LM for some numbers for everyone.

I’m hoping to install these into my clubs within the next two weeks. The hype has me very excited.

What heads are they going into? The 585s?

I think that’s the most obvious choice and front runner, yes. I really want the LZ 6.0 comparison and as direct a comparison as possible.

So in my current set I have the stock Project X LZ 6.0 and it's cool. Not a major "Wow" factor, just solid.

The fitter had the same shaft and was going to screw in an Apex iron head into the shaft but I said to let me give this TT Elevate 95 shaft a few swings.

I loved it. I have a pretty slow swing speed, or as I like to call it "controlled tempo" haha, 77-82 club head speed typically. And this thing felt great. I did some more reading on it and just finished reading this thread and I'm pretty excited to be playing this shaft for this year. I like the high trajectory and how light the shaft is since I swing slower it just feels better.

Hope to get these next week!!

So in my current set I have the stock Project X LZ 6.0 and it's cool. Not a major "Wow" factor, just solid.

The fitter had the same shaft and was going to screw in an Apex iron head into the shaft but I said to let me give this TT Elevate 95 shaft a few swings.

I loved it. I have a pretty slow swing speed, or as I like to call it "controlled tempo" haha, 77-82 club head speed typically. And this thing felt great. I did some more reading on it and just finished reading this thread and I'm pretty excited to be playing this shaft for this year. I like the high trajectory and how light the shaft is since I swing slower it just feels better.

Hope to get these next week!!

They're fun. I'm a believer now, especially in the dampening.

I'd like to grab another set for my 902's, but they're so new I'm going to wait a bit on pulls.

Are the similar to the KBS $-Tapers?

Good deal on another set so they’re headed here for my 902 forged. Was going to be a throwdown with the Miura, but after playing the 902 for 36 again the other day I’m tempted to call the competition now and just keep the 1008’s in the backup bag. We shall see.

Good deal on another set so they’re headed here for my 902 forged. Was going to be a throwdown with the Miura, but after playing the 902 for 36 again the other day I’m tempted to call the competition now and just keep the 1008’s in the backup bag. We shall see.

I saw your post in the 902 thread - I’m wicked jealous.

I really wanted to like those irons at the Ultimate Weekend however based on the strong shafts that were in them, I could never get it going and the feels felt better in some of the other head/shaft combos

Adore my X Forged Elevate combo but if I could do it again I would what you’re doing

I’m really liking what I’m seeing and feeling with these too. Hope to get a round in tomorrow afternoon. If the Elevates perform again, I’m likely going to be looking for another set also to put in my other set of irons.

I saw your post in the 902 thread - I’m wicked jealous.

I really wanted to like those irons at the Ultimate Weekend however based on the strong shafts that were in them, I could never get it going and the feels felt better in some of the other head/shaft combos

Adore my X Forged Elevate combo but if I could do it again I would what you’re doing

Yeah, I heard from a few the shafts in these were in the strong and long side.

I’m sure we will see each other this year and you can hit mine.

I’m debating trying these in apex over catalyst or PX lz 105. Need to do more research but the tour is a little heavier than I prefer but the 95s are parallel and that’s a negative for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’m debating trying these in apex over catalyst or PX lz 105. Need to do more research but the tour is a little heavier than I prefer but the 95s are parallel and that’s a negative for me.

Yeah, I almost grabbed a set for a song the other day, then saw parallel

As always I want to thank JB, Morgan, True Temper (specifically Scott and +7), Mizuno, Hammock Beach, and all the other OEMs who helped put our event together. Without all of that, I wouldn’t have been able to play these excellent iron/shafts for the past few months.

Now, to be honest, I initially was pretty skeptical of this line. I just didn’t see a fit for them in the market (shows how much I know haha). Of course, I also don’t know much about shaft knowledge, and Id like to thank Scott, Keenan, and DB for helping me with that.

I have been playing these for the past few months and I am trying to figure out the best way to review them. Heads/talking about full clubs is easy ish IMO, but when you’re trying to talk about just the shaft, it gets into a lot of subjective info. Especially for a guy like me who can play with pretty much anything and be happy as long as it feels somewhat decent and looks close to what I want. I also, hold head design higher on the feel chart than shaft so I was like, “oh man, how do I review these things without basically just reviewing my JPX 919 tours?” All these semi pre-conceived notions.

The elevate shafts are supposed to help your launch go up while keeping spin and overall ball flight mid to low ish. From what I have seen on the course, I think DG has done a very good job getting that profile/attributes here. I’m certainly not seeing any type of ballooning in shots even into the wind. The spin is a bit lower than I thought (numbers from recent session on GC Quad), No idea what my typical launch has been in other irons, but I feel like it is higher with these for the type of head I have them in.

I put these against a shaft that I have wanted/loved to hit in bays, a shaft that I felt was roughly the same. That would be the Project x LZ but in 5.5 (reason being that after being put on a CPM the 5.5 was the closest to the S300 Elevate). Weights are roughly the same (115 and 117 Grams). Profile is somewhat similar, better launch with a medium flight and lower spin. I didn’t hit a lot of shots, but I did want to at least get a small sample of numbers in order to see the differences between the two. I also hope to go back and go with different profiles as well, DG 120 and on the opposite side of the spectrum, xp100 in order to see just how different these launch profiles can be in an average golfer.

Between the Elevate and the LZ, there isn’t a major difference in most areas of ball flight.

Club SpeedBall SpeedLaunchSpinPeakDescentCarry

Biggest take away for me? The shafts are pretty similar. The LZ is a lower spinning shaft, and while the launch and descent angles are similar, the LZ flight is certainly a little flatter/lower. Huge difference? No, but enough to give me a little bit more yardage in the elevate (though could be due to the better CS and BS). I’m no numbers expert, so I have no idea if I am near optimal or not, but I feel like the spin is almost too low for me? Maybe a test with the Elevate 95 is in order…

Now, why I would never move to the LZ (even though I have loved it in the past). The feel is way different. I thought the LZ felt great when it first came out. Nothing better. Now that I have played the elevates since September, I can say, the VSS is legit. Super good feeling with no harsh feedback (though enough to not make it feel dead), and the kick on the elevate just feels so much more lively on quality strikes than the LZ.

Verdict: I’m loving the Elevate tour. On the course, I am having a lot better command (well as much as a medium hc can haha) of my shots whether I want to hit a stock shot, a flighted lower bullet, or full on swing to hit it way high up. I thought I would never move from graphite after trying out a quality shaft offering from another company, but the elevate has certainly swayed me. One caveat to that though, is the Project x catalyst which I did get to hit the other day and it didn’t disappoint….. Although, steel is just good. I am really happy with these. The only graphite I might entertain in the near future would be a catalyst 100/80 in the long irons and a hybrid. While the launch is improved with these elevates, I just don’t have that SS to get all I need out of the longer irons (and I love long irons haha).

That is it for now. I will certainly continue to be playing these so of course will have some good feedback down the road as well. Especially once the weather truly turns into golf weather around here and I can see what these things can do on firmer greens.

Really appreciate your time for these numbers; really looking to get some iron shafts for my heads and this intrigues me

Really appreciate your time for these numbers; really looking to get some iron shafts for my heads and this intrigues me

No problem! Let me know if you have any questions and I’ll try to answer them as best as I can

Yeah, I almost grabbed a set for a song the other day, then saw parallel

Enlighten me on the “parallel” please?

.370 tip.

Literally the tip section is parallel the whole way, on .355 they taper to that diameter at the end. Most irons are .355

True Temper Elevate Tour Shafts

.370 tip.

Literally the tip section is parallel the whole way, on .355 they taper to that diameter at the end. Most irons are .355

Also a part of that is that parallel shafts are butt cut to playing length and trimmed to iron length in prep while taper are tipped and butt cut to desired length. And the weight distribution for parallel vs taper is different as well. You’ll usually hear ascending versus descending weight variance.

Here is the true temper guide to visually show the difference

cdd572cf0be3794c3864860cd3a65b29.jpg

Last edited:
Interesting 1st round with the Elevate Tour in the APEX combo set, even though they are heavier than the Catalyst 100 I have been playing they felt lighter to me and have quite a bit of flex though the ball which to me the Catalyst had basically none which I have come to like, in hindsight the Elevate in X might have been better for me but i do think I can adapt to the Tour Stiff with a few more rounds and in the end not have to work as hard.

They just want to straight and high which is fantastic if you play of it, tried flighting a couple down to avoid trees....and had no problem doing it and control in the shorter irons seemed fine and again they go right where you aim them, set up right and they are going right for the most part, not a slice just dead straight. I did get them to turn over once I took a proper inside swing, but not a huge hooking draw just a few yards most of the time.

I can't wait for a calm, warmer day to see what they can do.

Also a part of that is that parallel shafts are butt cut to playing length while taper are tipped and butt cut to desired length. And the weight distribution for parallel vs taper is different as well. You’ll usually hear ascending versus descending weight variance.

Here is the true temper guide to visually show the difference

cdd572cf0be3794c3864860cd3a65b29.jpg

Sorry Alex but pretty sure parallel shafts are tipped in order to get to desired iron number. The most you could tip a 355 is very little which is why you soft or hard step them.

You do butt cut both though.

Sorry Alex but pretty sure parallel shafts are tipped in order to get to desired iron number. The most you could tip a 355 is very little which is why you soft or hard step them.

You do butt cut both though.

Correct and I’ll revise that to say you trim to playing length but but tip to stiffen flex.

Hit my Miura with these some today, cannot freaking wait to get these into the New Level 902’s.

Back