Truly Underrated Golf Clubs

High quality component clubs such as are sold by Wishon, Golfworks, Hireko, etc. Not to be confused with cheap stuff sold by DiamondTourGolf.com and other sites of that ilk.

Wayback Machine - Nike VR driver. I just loved it. Today, anything by Cleveland which is a shame because the CBX irons and wedges are superb. They made quality clubs years ago and now under Srixon the R&D is even better. For the money as good as anything on the market IMHO.

Bridgestone JGR HF irons. Models 1 and 2. Very competitive overall and just stupid good in price to performance.

I would agree with the Adams line of clubs. Never enough love and I am saddened that they were dissolved. I will say that I wish they were built a bit better. I remember several irons coming apart after usage and having to be re-glued.

When I first started playing I bought a Speedline driver, 3 wood, and hybrid. After about five rounds the head of the 3 wood came loose from the shaft. It was disappointing, but their customer service was amazing. The fact that they were (before they got purchased) a Texas company was a bonus. If they were still around I’d probably still be playing some Adams clubs. I wish I hadn’t given up on the ones I had and traded them in.

I’ll add Cleveland Mashie hybrids.

I am also going to say Cleveland Frontline putters.

Maltby/Golfworks, especially their irons and wedges - great looks, feel and performance. As a fitter for a retail operation, I can get a pretty hefty discount on the big name OEM club but I still prefer the Maltby designs.

I have read online in a number of places that Wilson irons are often very underated for what they are. I do have a Wilson iron set Di7 with graphite shafts I do ok with them (older clubs), but I really don't know anyone with Wilsons. They play fine for me, but I am a hack so not much help.

I’d say just about any entry level club. Most work just fine and actually perform.

Ben Hogan PTx Pro’s. Prior to the Graphite Challenge, I didn’t know they existed. They don’t get that much exposure and they are honestly a great set of irons. Packed with tech across the line and look fantastic.

SeeMore putters. I think the RST would help a lot of people but outside of THP, you don’t run into many people who even know about them, let alone play them.

I was going to say the same thing. Besides in my bag, I never see anybody else gaming them.

Tour Edge Exotics CBX

Got to test them during TEEM Tour Edge Last Year. The Hybrid and FW were really good. The FW was a rocket laucnher when I hit it well, but it was a little stout for me personally as it had a HZRDUS Smoke 80g Stiff shaft and a super low spin head. That said if you are a good ball striker I bet that FW would be one of the very best options on the market for you.

I agree, especially regarding the FW woods. I very recently put the 3 wood back in the bag on a whim and it may very well stay for a while. Very solid and long from both tee and deck.

I have read online in a number of places that Wilson irons are often very underated for what they are. I do have a Wilson iron set Di7 with graphite shafts I do ok with them (older clubs), but I really don't know anyone with Wilsons. They play fine for me, but I am a hack so not much help.

I’m still playing a set of Wilson Staff Di9 Irons and have loved them since day 1. None of my golf buddies play WS Irons and I’ve never heard any of them say they would consider a set. Too bad though because WS makes some great equipment.

Pretty much everything by Adams Golf! Tight Lies, Speedline, hybrids, cdb irons.

I just built an adams mini pro hybrid for my bag. Can still get new Adams heads a song.

Hate to say it but I am throwing it out there. I bought an 18*, 21*, and a 24* WARRIOR HYBRID at a church rummage sale. $2 apiece.

They are in the bag. Previously I gamed Nike and Adams hybrids.

Srixon Z 585 Driver- I have never hit it, but it won the British Open and I do not know anyone gaming it!

srixon irons are underrated. i never see them out in the wild, yet they are tremendous.

bridgestone j815 and jgr drivers. launch and spin for the masses. and for a handful of years they were churning out some seriously impressive irons.

SonarTec woods - I've been using a SonarTec 3-wood for a while now and it is a really great club. It doesn't quite have the distance that my old R7 does, but it's easy to hit fades or draws and has a really nice trajectory. It's a fairway finder for sure.

SonarTec woods - I've been using a SonarTec 3-wood for a while now and it is a really great club. It doesn't quite have the distance that my old R7 does, but it's easy to hit fades or draws and has a really nice trajectory. It's a fairway finder for sure.
I have a buddy who absolutely swore by his Sonartec until it shattered and he switched to a Titleist haha

I have a buddy who absolutely swore by his Sonartec until it shattered and he switched to a Titleist haha
Mine actually belongs to my wife but she rarely plays and doesn't know one club from another. I'll probably repair the R7, but I could easily keep playing the SonarTec; it's pretty sweet!

I am also going to say Cleveland Frontline putters.

I'm going to keep you and Jman informed about my success (yes I'm confident) with my Elevado this year.

Back