Trying to Break 100

Played the Grande Dunes Resort Course Tuesday. Much more expensive than my usual courses, $60 a round. Everyone there was really nice and it wasn't crowded at all. Carts have GPS (first time for me) and are gas (also a first). They also have a pacer on the cart that tells you how many minutes you are ahead or behind the recommended pace. Although the parking lot was crowded the course was pretty open.

It's a long course for me 5300+ yards from the reds with WIDE fairways. I mean really wide, you could easily land a 747 on them if they were flat.. And they weren't flat, the front 9 wasn't too bad, but some of the holes on the back 9 had me looking to see if there were mountain goats or a Sherpa around. But if you like hitting bombs all day you will love this course.

The back 9 has 2 water carry holes (I made it over the water both times) and the greens weren't as good as the front ones. Ended with 112, which wasn't bad for me at that distance. Marshal was evident but not intrusive, we were always about 3 to 5 minutes ahead of pace. He did come up to us on the 12th hole to let us know that there was a fast twosome behind us and asked if we would let them play through.. We agreed and when they got to us they played through. Those guys could really play! Long bombs and precise wedge shots and accurate putts.

Highly recommend the course and will play it again, but at that price it won't be often.

More range work tonight. Was just okay. Couldn’t quite find it tonight. Just gonna keep powering thru with the changes. I expect to have some dud sessions along the way. Found a groove a couple times but just not quite with it this time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

More range work tonight. Was just okay. Couldn’t quite find it tonight. Just gonna keep powering thru with the changes. I expect to have some dud sessions along the way. Found a groove a couple times but just not quite with it this time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

How do you like the old school G15 fairway? I have G15 17* 4 wood, but don't have it in play at the moment. I'm going with 19*, 23* hybrids as my longer clubs off the turf.

Dave

How do you like the old school G15 fairway? I have G15 17* 4 wood, but don't have it in play at the moment. I'm going with 19*, 23* hybrids as my longer clubs off the turf.

Dave
I like it...I've gotten increasingly good with it off the ground and will also use it off the tee depending on the situation....solid club and fits a need for me. I don't use the FW woods a ton, really...but this one (if I can put a good swing on it) is a beauty.

I like it...I've gotten increasingly good with it off the ground and will also use it off the tee depending on the situation....solid club and fits a need for me. I don't use the FW woods a ton, really...but this one (if I can put a good swing on it) is a beauty.
I'm forcing myself to learn to hit my FW. Like you, I occasionally rip it, other times, it's a high-speed roller.

I used to hit my 3W pretty well but have struggled mightily with it lately.

I used to hit my 3W pretty well but have struggled mightily with it lately.
Anything in particular? I have had some issues with mine in the past, but usually it is down to ball position for me as I have a habit of letting it get too far forward in my stance

Anything in particular? I have had some issues with mine in the past, but usually it is down to ball position for me as I have a habit of letting it get too far forward in my stance
Just generally not making good contact. Topping the ball, worm burners, hitting it fat. If I do make good contact it's a wicked slice. I'm not sure what the issue is. I have the same issue on the range. I occasionally hit good shots but can't find any consistency.

I'm starting to just put it in the middle of my stance. I'm an iron picker, so I have a pretty shallow AoA anyway.

Just generally not making good contact. Topping the ball, worm burners, hitting it fat. If I do make good contact it's a wicked slice. I'm not sure what the issue is. I have the same issue on the range. I occasionally hit good shots but can't find any consistency.
To be honest, 3W is probably one of the hardest clubs for some people to hit - it doesn't take much to struggle with it, just got to keep working on it to get that confidence back

Luckily, I have been hitting mine well these last couple weeks, and almost drove the short 260yd par 4 at my home course last week - don't usually try it as the sensible option is a mid-iron to leave a nice yardage, and you have to be accurate to hit the narrow gap to the green

Defective club. Needs replaced.
Do you carry a 5W? A good shot with a 5W beats a bad shot with a 3W every time.
My FW is a 16.5 degree HL 3 head on a shaft cut down to 5W length, It feels comfortable for me, YMMV.

To be honest, 3W is probably one of the hardest clubs for some people to hit - it doesn't take much to struggle with it, just got to keep working on it to get that confidence back

Luckily, I have been hitting mine well these last couple weeks, and almost drove the short 260yd par 4 at my home course last week - don't usually try it as the sensible option is a mid-iron to leave a nice yardage, and you have to be accurate to hit the narrow gap to the green
#onthe'roids
#timeforapeetest

#onthe'roids
#timeforapeetest
Like I said, I was hitting it well so just thought I would give it a try as we were just having a casual round and trying different shots out

I'm forcing myself to learn to hit my FW. Like you, I occasionally rip it, other times, it's a high-speed roller.
I have found that with all the iron work I've done...it's translated (seemingly) to the FW. Last time I played, I had a nice rip on the 5W and have been hitting it better when I switch away from irons at the range. The 3W is still super hit or miss for me off the turf...I don't hit it much, honestly...maybe off the tee here and there...I think the 3 and 5 woods are definitely my least used clubs. I'll have to revisit a hybrid at some point, maybe...I struggled with the 3H I used to carry and traded it in toward the purchase of my 5W.

Wouldn't be opposed to dumping my 3W in favor of a 3H maybe....but right now I'm going to leave the bag alone for a while, I think. Keep putting in practice and see where I can get with what I've got.

On a side note...seem to have tweaked a muscle in my chest (it hit me yesterday midday, fairly randomly). Didn't seem to have an effect on my swing last night when I went to the range, though I'd like to blame it on a mediocre session. I'm going to rest up today (feeling a bit better today) and see where I'm at tomorrow...was supposed to play nine but not sure I'll push it if it's not feeling any better.

Or hey...maybe I'm just going into heart failure (wait that's not funny). Going to try and ice it up a bit today and probably run to get some muscle/joint relief cream at lunch...some icy hot or something.

Getting old sucks.

I have found that with all the iron work I've done...it's translated (seemingly) to the FW. Last time I played, I had a nice rip on the 5W and have been hitting it better when I switch away from irons at the range. The 3W is still super hit or miss for me off the turf...I don't hit it much, honestly...maybe off the tee here and there...I think the 3 and 5 woods are definitely my least used clubs. I'll have to revisit a hybrid at some point, maybe...I struggled with the 3H I used to carry and traded it in toward the purchase of my 5W.

Wouldn't be opposed to dumping my 3W in favor of a 3H maybe....but right now I'm going to leave the bag alone for a while, I think. Keep putting in practice and see where I can get with what I've got.
I've pared my bag down to the D, FW, and a 22 degree hybrid. My thoughts for the season are, anything over 150 up to 165 out is the hybrid, anything more than that is the FW. I'm weaning myself off too many choices. If I fly the green, fine. 90% of the time I won't.

Defective club. Needs replaced.
Do you carry a 5W? A good shot with a 5W beats a bad shot with a 3W every time.
My FW is a 16.5 degree HL 3 head on a shaft cut down to 5W length, It feels comfortable for me, YMMV.
Haha, no doubt. It's one of the oldest clubs in my bag. I do have a M1 5W that I bought a couple of years ago. I hit it pretty well right off the bat, but have struggled with it lately as well. It seems like as my iron play has started to improve, my woods (including driver) have declined.

Stupid game...

On a side note...seem to have tweaked a muscle in my chest (it hit me yesterday midday, fairly randomly). Didn't seem to have an effect on my swing last night when I went to the range, though I'd like to blame it on a mediocre session. I'm going to rest up today (feeling a bit better today) and see where I'm at tomorrow...was supposed to play nine but not sure I'll push it if it's not feeling any better.

Or hey...maybe I'm just going into heart failure (wait that's not funny). Going to try and ice it up a bit today and probably run to get some muscle/joint relief cream at lunch...some icy hot or something.

Getting old sucks.
Indeed. I recommend you treat it as more serious than not. It's not the kind of thing that you should treat as "Hmmm...should have clubbed up."

Haha, no doubt. It's one of the oldest clubs in my bag. I do have a M1 5W that I bought a couple of years ago. I hit it pretty well right off the bat, but have struggled with it lately as well. It seems like as my iron play has started to improve, my woods (including driver) have declined.

Stupid game...
Standard Operating Procedure, right there. I'd yank the 3W and play the 5W.

Just a little Friday motivator here! If anyone reading this is like me, breaking 100 is an absolute struggle! There were rounds where I went into 18 with a 90-92 only to lose the plot and shoot over 100. Just wanted to say, keep going! Keep practicing! Keep shooting! You will for sure get there! Even when you're teeing up your 3rd ball from the tee box knowing the only way you're making a 99 is if your tee shot goes 430 and goes in. Don't lose faith! It. Will. Happen!

I had someone tell me this when I struggling and thinking about putting the clubs down for good. I have a huge ego/pride problem (Yes, I'm working on it) so going out and shooting 15-20+ higher than my group was so embarrassing for me! It was really hard to enjoy the game.

Hope there's someone on here who needs to read this and keeps on going! Good luck crewe!

Lower lofted hybrids, 19* or so, may be an alternative for the guys struggling with fairways. The shorter shaft may make it easier to make good contact. Hybrids seem less prone to the dreaded slice off the planet.

Dave

I put my 3W back in my bag after a 2 year time out. I've been hitting it pretty well and my usual miss (topping the ball) still gets good roll out. It took about 3 hour long range sessions to make me feel confident enough to use it on the course.

I've pared my bag down to the D, FW, and a 22 degree hybrid. My thoughts for the season are, anything over 150 up to 165 out is the hybrid, anything more than that is the FW. I'm weaning myself off too many choices. If I fly the green, fine. 90% of the time I won't.
That is not a bad way to go at all Hammy (y)

Find yourself a couple of longer clubs that you feel confident enough to hit when the situation dictates, then concentrate a bit more on your play with the shorter clubs and slowly build up the bag as and when you feel comfortable putting another one in to cover a yardage gap or give you more options

Indeed. I recommend you treat it as more serious than not. It's not the kind of thing that you should treat as "Hmmm...should have clubbed up."

Yeah...it's feeling better and better today so I'm hoping it's a very minor tweak. But will definitely take care with it. I don't recover like I used to....(from injuries or one too many bourbons)…..

Back