Trying to Break 100

Well, went back out today. Weather was nicer. Mid 90's. I can live with that. shot a 94. Started out great. Par/bogey/Par. Can't recall the last time I started like that. But, as always with a high handicapper things started to get shaky. Had two triples and two doubles on the front 9 on the way to a 49. That means I was +12 on the last 6 holes. Not good.

I did do better on the back 9. Started with two double bogeys then had two pars to offset them. My goal has always been to play bogey golf. Then I had 5 straight bogeys to finish with a 45 on the back. I'm good with a 94 today. For a few rounds I had trouble trying to break 100.

My driving was good again today. Hit 10 of 14 fairways. But when I missed on the front 9 I missed badly. It was weird. I would straight up hit a terrible shot. A pop up to the right and in the middle of trees a long way from the hole. Finished the hole with a triple bogey. The next hole I hit it dead center 250 yards. Hit the green and two putted for par. A few holes later another terrible drive and another triple.

I tried using the chipping technique in the video earlier in this thread. The one where Kevin Kisner was helping his friend. I practiced before the round and it was good. Hit clean chips reasonably close to the hole where I had a chance. Hit a great one on the first hole helping me par the hole. Then I proceeded to skull it three times on the front 9 where it went over the green. Instead of saving bogeys, it ended up with the two triples and a double bogeys on those 3 skulled shots. But I didn't give in. I just focused a little harder and used it a couple more times on the back 9 with better results. As always, its a work in progress.
nothing wrong with a 94. Or 10 FW hit. Sounds like the chipping thing is something you just need to keep working at...keep with it, even thru some bad moments. I had to force myself thru some swing changes this year and there were (and still are, at time) plenty of ups and downs, but it's worth it to work thru the bad moments, not revert to old bad habits. Keep working....sounds like you were a couple blow up holes away from flirting with breaking 90....

Update for me - I have been grinding hard as you have seen if you follow this thread. It's time for me to dial back the range work a bit. Not feeling any burnout, I still enjoy it...I think it's just beating me up working the irons so much (lots of impact there) and at times I start to overthink things and then get frustrated. I think I need to stop going like 3 to 5 times a week and scale back the range work and try to play more rounds of golf....I'm back at the point with my game now where I'm going to benefit more from playing some live rounds. It's been a long haul from the shoulder injury last year and the long layoff...to rebuilding the swing this spring (with some changes)...to incorporating a lot of new clubs (irons, driver, wedges, putter)...and so on. I am hitting irons better than ever, have made strides with the new driver (and old 3W), getting the hang of the hybrids...and so on.

I think I may dial back to one iron session per week (or maybe none, at times) and trying to do some shorter/lower impact sessions going forward working on driver and chipping (and putting).

And, like I said...try to get out there and PLAY.....start having fun with it more than making it work, work, work (though, again, I do enjoy the work, I think you can get to a point where you're working too hard and it becomes a little detrimental).

I say all that now...and the next thing you know I'll be posting next week that I went to the range twice a day for 5 days in a row..... ;):p

EDIT: I do think I got away from practicing with a purpose, which left me meandering a bit...and also, I am done for now with the experimenting on certain clubs...I have a bag setup and I'm rolling with it for now. (and if I want to change it up, I've already done all the work to know how I hit the clubs I could swap into the mix). I think practicing with a little more focus and just lightening up a bit will be a good more for me, though. Looking forward to getting in more "real" rounds!

Playing 18 holes tomorrow and have a bit of lower back pain. I will try just using my 3 wood off the tee and see if I can keep the strain down. Need to get in a round before the left coast shuts down AGAIN!!

Have 18 set up for Saturday with ntanygd760, and 18 set up for Sunday at a really nice course, Valley of the Eagles.
Saturday will consist of me trying to hit and watching Ben launch rockets, Sunday will be me trying to hit and telling my brother he blows.

Update for me - I have been grinding hard as you have seen if you follow this thread. It's time for me to dial back the range work a bit. Not feeling any burnout, I still enjoy it...I think it's just beating me up working the irons so much (lots of impact there) and at times I start to overthink things and then get frustrated. I think I need to stop going like 3 to 5 times a week and scale back the range work and try to play more rounds of golf....I'm back at the point with my game now where I'm going to benefit more from playing some live rounds. It's been a long haul from the shoulder injury last year and the long layoff...to rebuilding the swing this spring (with some changes)...to incorporating a lot of new clubs (irons, driver, wedges, putter)...and so on. I am hitting irons better than ever, have made strides with the new driver (and old 3W), getting the hang of the hybrids...and so on.

I think I may dial back to one iron session per week (or maybe none, at times) and trying to do some shorter/lower impact sessions going forward working on driver and chipping (and putting).

And, like I said...try to get out there and PLAY.....start having fun with it more than making it work, work, work (though, again, I do enjoy the work, I think you can get to a point where you're working too hard and it becomes a little detrimental).

I say all that now...and the next thing you know I'll be posting next week that I went to the range twice a day for 5 days in a row..... ;):p

EDIT: I do think I got away from practicing with a purpose, which left me meandering a bit...and also, I am done for now with the experimenting on certain clubs...I have a bag setup and I'm rolling with it for now. (and if I want to change it up, I've already done all the work to know how I hit the clubs I could swap into the mix). I think practicing with a little more focus and just lightening up a bit will be a good more for me, though. Looking forward to getting in more "real" rounds!

I personally find that playing a course helps my game much more than range time does.

Playing course >> Grass range >> Mat range

Dave

There is a fine line with range to rounds. If you are not there with a purpose, and just hitting balls, I think it can be counter productive. When I started I used to hit a large bucket all the time(120). I was also going through them in under an hour. That’s to many and to fast. Now I usually prefer a small 40 ball bucket. I can hit the chipping area first and shag the balls. Then hit the range and work on my goals. I go through the motions several times before hitting a ball. I get good constructive work in this way and don’t lose focus.

Course time is when we get to see the results of our work as well as what we need to work on. Keep after it, you’re heading in the right direction.

47/44 for a 91, which is a huge improvement from my recent rounds hovering around 105 or so. Driving and chipping were on fire for me today - hit my tee shots straight and long (for me), and I got three pars, all due to chipping to a few feet of the hole. Still need to work on my second/third irons shots (zero GIRs today), but I’m super pumped with this round! 2nd best round ever.

A month ago I couldn’t hit my driver at all, could barely chip, and felt dejected about being able to
Improve. Since then I’ve taken a few lessons with an instructor that I understand and feel comfortable with, practiced what I’ve been taught a bunch at the range, and it paid off big time tonight.

There is a fine line with range to rounds. If you are not there with a purpose, and just hitting balls, I think it can be counter productive. When I started I used to hit a large bucket all the time(120). I was also going through them in under an hour. That’s to many and to fast. Now I usually prefer a small 40 ball bucket. I can hit the chipping area first and shag the balls. Then hit the range and work on my goals. I go through the motions several times before hitting a ball. I get good constructive work in this way and don’t lose focus.

Course time is when we get to see the results of our work as well as what we need to work on. Keep after it, you’re heading in the right direction.
There is one range close to home for me with a nice chipping green and sand to practice out of...I usually go there and buy a small bucket (40-ish balls) and will hit the range first and leave anywhere from 6 to 10 balls in the bucket to go chip around. Then shag them, carry them back over on my way back to the car, and finish with some easy short iron shots from the range. Similar to what you're saying here. I do need to force myself to go thru a preshot routine more when practicing. Sometimes I'm good about it, and sometimes I'll rip off 15 quick shots and think "good lord man, calm down". Ha.

I think where I needed the heavier range work was to really figure things back out after a long layoff. I started golfing again in 2017 and had a couple years of playing all the time and making progress, then 2019 was just hell on my body. Had a back tweak, blown out ankle (thanks to soccer), and other little things...then the shoulder, which I knew was bad when playing a round with my dad, hitting driver on one hole, and just going, welp….I don't think I can hit anything other than short shots/putts after that one. (we were playing a 2v2 best ball against my cousin and his friend...so my dad would tee off and hit long approaches and then I'd jump in...) And that was the last time I played until this March.

So the range was super helpful for me to get dialed back in and re-learn my swing and dial in some grip changes, etc. Now I'm at the point where - while practice is good and I will continue - I do need to practice with purpose and hit less balls. I still love going to the range...but...I just gotta change up the routines a bit for sure. What you're saying really hit exactly what I plan to do. Small buckets with purpose! I really need to lay back into the short game, and I have a blast doing that...playing little chipping games with myself, etc. I could do that for hours and not get bored.

There is one range close to home for me with a nice chipping green and sand to practice out of...I usually go there and buy a small bucket (40-ish balls) and will hit the range first and leave anywhere from 6 to 10 balls in the bucket to go chip around. Then shag them, carry them back over on my way back to the car, and finish with some easy short iron shots from the range. Similar to what you're saying here. I do need to force myself to go thru a preshot routine more when practicing. Sometimes I'm good about it, and sometimes I'll rip off 15 quick shots and think "good lord man, calm down". Ha.

I think where I needed the heavier range work was to really figure things back out after a long layoff. I started golfing again in 2017 and had a couple years of playing all the time and making progress, then 2019 was just hell on my body. Had a back tweak, blown out ankle (thanks to soccer), and other little things...then the shoulder, which I knew was bad when playing a round with my dad, hitting driver on one hole, and just going, welp….I don't think I can hit anything other than short shots/putts after that one. (we were playing a 2v2 best ball against my cousin and his friend...so my dad would tee off and hit long approaches and then I'd jump in...) And that was the last time I played until this March.

So the range was super helpful for me to get dialed back in and re-learn my swing and dial in some grip changes, etc. Now I'm at the point where - while practice is good and I will continue - I do need to practice with purpose and hit less balls. I still love going to the range...but...I just gotta change up the routines a bit for sure. What you're saying really hit exactly what I plan to do. Small buckets with purpose! I really need to lay back into the short game, and I have a blast doing that...playing little chipping games with myself, etc. I could do that for hours and not get bored.

When I suggest playing is better than practicing, keep in mind that I play cheap courses and also prefer to walk. $15/9 holes is about as expensive as I've paid this year and I typically only play 9 holes at a time. It doesn't cost that much more to golf than the range with this approach.

Some guys will only play 18 and they have high standards for course conditions so a round is $50+ and prefer a cart.

Dave

nothing wrong with a 94. Or 10 FW hit. Sounds like the chipping thing is something you just need to keep working at...keep with it, even thru some bad moments. I had to force myself thru some swing changes this year and there were (and still are, at time) plenty of ups and downs, but it's worth it to work thru the bad moments, not revert to old bad habits. Keep working....sounds like you were a couple blow up holes away from flirting with breaking 90....

Yeah, those 3 skulled chips on the front nine added a stroke for each hole. But I didn't give in and go back to the old way which usually meant long putts. I did stick with it and focus more on contact and it got better on the back nine. I noticed the ball checks up much better with it. On one hole I only had about ten feet of green to work with and it was downhill too. The ball checked up nicely and rolled a couple feet past the hole. That was one of the two pars on the back 9. I know its the proper way to chip, its just going to be a work in progress.

My son in law and grandson were playing with me. My son in law started terribly. Had to hit out of the trees on the first two holes. Was in the greenside thick rough chipping for par both times and saved bogey both times. Then got on a par run to finish the front nine with a 41. That is what having a good short game does. He survived a bad start salvaging bogeys until he could start getting pars. If it was me those two holes woulda been double or triple bogeys.

When I suggest playing is better than practicing, keep in mind that I play cheap courses and also prefer to walk. $15/9 holes is about as expensive as I've paid this year and I typically only play 9 holes at a time. It doesn't cost that much more to golf than the range with this approach.

Some guys will only play 18 and they have high standards for course conditions so a round is $50+ and prefer a cart.

Dave
Yeah I get that. I am not a course snob and often look for the bargain. At one place I hit balls, they have a standard 18 but also a nine-hole par 3 which is nice, though unfortunately under renovation at the time, and you can play it for the price of a large bucket.

I am totally fine with budget golf and playing 9! Easiest way to play after work for example...go walk 9.

Just finished playing 18 holes today, bad back and all. Took a way more upright stance and hit my clubs and driver fantastic. Not my furthest, but far and straight. If not for the duff on the first hole, I might have had a good round. End up with a 96 and no snowman. Only two pars though, but I had looks for birdie twice (no go, but I tried). Back feels fine with this new upright swing. Maybe I will stick with it.

Last edited:
My simplified version has to add up to the result and my comparison is bogey golf.

Broadie's does not do that. He has tables of what a pro golfer would be able to do and there's tables thave results. A Broadie example:

• 340 yard par 4 - tee shot, table value is 3.86 strokes
  • Stroke 1 leaves 140 yards in fairway, table value is 2.91 strokes. Strokes gained is -0.05.
  • Stroke 2 leaves 20 yards in the rough, table value is 2.59 strokes. Strokes gained is -0.58.
  • Stroke 3 leaves 30 foot putt, table value is 1.98 strokes. Strokes gained is -0.39.
  • Stroke 4 ends up in the cup for a miracle make, the value now is 0. Strokes gained is 0.98.
Rinse and repeat. For our imaginary golfer missing that green from 140 is a huge stoker adder compared to the pro guy. The bad chip is also a big adder. The tee shot in this instance didn't hurt that bad.

Dave

I take all of my comments on strokes gained back. Broadie's way is better. He's studied it and has real data to back it up. My previous way suggested a simplistic drive it ok, hit an iron close enough to chip, chip, and 2-putt which I think creates biases.

There is information on the web if you google images for Strokes Gained Table.

My game is fairly consistent. The full swing game is the primary thing holding me back (duh), but awful chipping is not helping.

Last five 9-hole rounds:

Club type# of ShotsSum of Pro Strokes GainedAverage of Pro Strokes Gained
Driver16-5.18-0.32
Fairway31-11.38-0.37
Putting86-8.00-0.09
Hybrid16-5.46-0.34
Iron25-8.71-0.35
Penalty/Recovery8-8.00-1.00
Short Game34-9.86-0.29
Wedge11-0.96-0.09
Grand Total227-57.55-0.25

Dave

7k+ yards with lots of fescue 10-15 yards off the fairway kicked my ass. Hamfist hit it decent though.

Related back to my "grinding too much" post regarding practice...I think I worked myself to a point of overthinking and gave myself the yips. Thursday played with a some guys in the morning...just played a 2 v 2 format where we were playing best ball. I was awful for a large part of it. Figured it out a bit toward the end. Went Friday night to the chipping green just to do something golf related and was fine there. Friday/Saturday morning dealing with a stiff neck...that got better Saturday midday-ish. I decided around 5:30 to go play nine holes by myself and just work on stuff. Still feeling pretty "yippy" overall. A lot of thin hits, balls flying left, flying right, worm burners, etc. Then of course you get in that mode of trying to fix yourself in the round which contributes to worse play. Eventually kind of sort of figured some things out and got on track.

By this time of day it was twilight "all you can play" golf. So I just kept going, but with the thought of not keeping any type of score, just hitting random balls. It was really thinned out by now...just a couple groups out playing. Stayed well out of their way. My 3 wood was off after having honed it in so well. I don't know that I ever found it yesterday. I did get the driver going as I drove around the course playing certain holes. Some holes I'd tee off, grab my ball, move on. Some holes I'd drive to where my second shot would be, drop, play the hole until I was on green. Just...trying different clubs...trying to get out of my own head.

Like I said....Driver kind of got going again. Hit a couple nice hybrid shots. Hit some solid iron shots (even the bad ones were productive). Anyway...I probably played part or all of another 6 holes after wrapping my initial nine...just practicing.

As I kind of said "screw it" and started swinging away, started to find a groove again. Not sure what got me so off track, really. I think what I said about grinding too much may have had a part...just worked myself to the point where I was "fixing" or overanalyzing things that were honestly fine, and I moved them away from fine, and into some kind of bad territory.

The last part of my playing was fun, no pressure, and I think what I needed to get going back on track. I could hit an approach shot, say "nice shot" drive to the ball, grab it and go to the next hole to hit another type of shot. In some cases I'd go ahead and chip to the green, I didn't putt at all while doing this exercise...just kept myself moving and hitting shots from different spots.

Or...maybe it has nothing to do with over-practicing and I just lost my mind for a couple days. I know the swing is in there...just gotta make sure to unlock my brain from my body and let it happen. Like I said...I definitely started feeling better...but still lacking some of the consistency I'd found...though miles better than whatever erratic nonsense was going on prior.

Golf...you guys....sheesh. o_O

I decided to challenge myself today and play the blue tees at my home course. Those tees play at just over 6,000 yards with a rating of 70.5/129.

The driver and 4h have been a significant weakness this year and today was no exception with 7 lost balls with those two clubs and two more lost balls with irons on par 3 tees. I ended the round with a 112 and a 32 HC differential. As poorly as I played off the tee, my iron play was very good on all but one shot. I did hit several greens with mid irons and missed slightly on several others. Only 3 or 4 were in regulation because of the terrible tee game. There was a stretch today when I felt like my iron play was automatic.

I hate playing the "if only" analysis because this is a consistent problem. The game cannot be played well - by any definition of that word - when there is a weakness of any skill like that of my tee game. Today it cost me a lot strokes. The fact that putting was not far behind didn't help.

If there was anything positive about the terrible golf played today, it was that I fully accepted the results. While I no longer entertain goals of reaching a certain level of golf, hitting driver after driver into the woods is no way to play this game. I really need to figure it out.

Saturday, played decent, couldn’t score. Sunday’s highlights were a par on #10 (par three) and getting stung by a wasp.

Last edited:
If there was anything positive about the terrible golf played today, it was that I fully accepted the results. While I no longer entertain goals of reaching a certain level of golf, hitting driver after driver into the woods is no way to play this game. I really need to figure it out.

Ever since I convinced myself that I'm not Arnold Palmer, I'm a high handicapper, I feel like I took some pressure off my game. I hit a bad shot and I just shrug it off. "The life of a high handicapper". I can't say my game has improved with the different attitude towards it. But at least its more enjoyable. And I'm still gonna work to get better.

I just don't let the bad stuff bother me like it used to. A few days ago I was on a 195 yard par 3 with my hybrid. It was terrible. I hit at least half a foot behind the ball. The club lifted a divot pushed the ball 15 yards. Didn't even reach the ladies tee. I just smiled and looked at my playing partners and said "Oh well". Then I proceeded to hit the same hybrid. Hit it clean and it ends up a few yards off the green. Looked like I had a chance to save bogey. Skulled the chip into the trap and ended up with triple bogey. All I could do is laugh and say "This hole had triple written all over it from the start. I can live with that".

If the driver misses are somewhat consistent there may be a fix.

Dave

Saturday, played decent, couldn’t score. Sunday’s highlights were a par on #10 (par three) and getting stung by a wasp.
That last part doesn't not sound like a highlight...but hey...you do you.

Your suppose to hit a stinger, not get hit by the stinger. :ROFLMAO:

That last part doesn't not sound like a highlight...but hey...you do you.
Relative to my play, yes, yes it was.

I am a tragically poor golfer.

Relative to my play, yes, yes it was.

I am a tragically poor golfer.

From what you've said this year between lessons and getting out and playing it sounded like you were off to a really good start to the year. Doing ok?

Dave

From what you've said this year between lessons and getting out and playing it sounded like you were off to a really good start to the year. Doing ok?

Dave
Nope. Ups and downs by the round, but trending lower. Played decently on Saturday, Sunday was a mess. Had some good shots here and there, but, it got so bad I refused to keep score after 11. The front was pretty ugly, but the back was a disaster. would go back to the instructor, but, he's ghosted me since the C-19 breakout.

Nope. Ups and downs by the round, but trending lower. Played decently on Saturday, Sunday was a mess. Had some good shots here and there, but, it got so bad I refused to keep score after 11. The front was pretty ugly, but the back was a disaster. would go back to the instructor, but, he's ghosted me since the C-19 breakout.

Gotcha. Best of luck getting your groove back!

Dave

Back