Trying to Break 100

Gotcha. Best of luck getting your groove back!

Dave
Thanks, Dave. Still feeling the irritation of yesterday, and the constant low-grade guilt of buying the Mizunos. When I hit a bad shot, I think I wouldn't have done it with the G20s. Good shots, I think that less, but it's still buzzing around just out of ear shot.

Thanks, Dave. Still feeling the irritation of yesterday, and the constant low-grade guilt of buying the Mizunos. When I hit a bad shot, I think I wouldn't have done it with the G20s. Good shots, I think that less, but it's still buzzing around just out of ear shot.
To be fair, if you hadn't bought the Mizunos you'd think you should have every time you hit a bad shot, ah what could have been. Rest easy Sir Hamfist.

Alright, enough of this moping. On to the weekend. I am the only one to blame, I have been veeeeerrrrryyy, lazy and lax about practicing. I need to get working.

I had a fun weekend of golf. I've been trying to work on the swing changes from my lesson and I'm getting closer a more confident feel standing over the ball. Shot a 50 front 50 back 100 on Saturday. I then turned around and shot a 56 front 45 back on Sunday. Finished birdie/par and missed a birdie on 18 by about six inches. I'm going to try to get a follow up lesson next week after our club championship that I have no business playing in. It's flighted, and it's the only way to play at the club this weekend but I get curb stomped every year.

Nah, Hot Metals still have plenty of forgiveness. The shot the G20 will be better at is if you come in steep and, without the wide sole saving it, would end taking a beaver pelt divot and lay sod over the ball. The Hot Metals look a lot nicer, people love the feel, and the hot face/forgiveness.

I found for my game that the wide sole of the G15 plus my sweeper/picker swings means I sometimes would have issues with clean contact.

Dave

Don't let the club ho'ing second thoughts get to you,

😎

Nope. Ups and downs by the round, but trending lower. Played decently on Saturday, Sunday was a mess. Had some good shots here and there, but, it got so bad I refused to keep score after 11. The front was pretty ugly, but the back was a disaster. would go back to the instructor, but, he's ghosted me since the C-19 breakout.
speaking of instructors...been thinking about reconnecting with the guy I used a couple years back...just to have him eyeball what I'm doing, etc. He's good about spotting things and making quick tweaks.

If I can't track him down, maybe going on to find someone who can give me a tune up or some critiques, feedback, or what have you. I did decide after kind of finding my swing again to a degree on Saturday, that I'd go hit a small bucket Sunday just to do some very specific things. First thing I did was warm up hitting the 54 degree a few times. Money. Feeling good. Went to the PW, pretty money...good flight...happy. Jumped to the 7 wood...after a couple duds (I knew I was pulling my head up) - hit some nice shots. Swapped back to the 7 iron and was a mixed bag. So the specific idea I had in mind (that I Mentioned earlier)….was to just take tiny backswing and focus on hitting it square, just shooting straight shots into the range. Did that literally the rest of the session...hit a few really really short backswing shots. If they all go straight, make the backswing slightly bigger, if those go straight, slightly bigger. Just working on that middle third of the swing, really...not the backswing or follow through...just that middle part of swing. Started popping them out there longer and longer (low-ish trajectory, as really what I was doing was almost hitting punch shots...but focusing on square club face).

Something else I did at this point, to try it out...was interlock grip (I'm usually an overlap, which I switched to this spring after long time baseball grip). I noticed when working my new driver, and was struggling...I was not able to square the face, and I interlocked and started hitting it straight, then slid back to overlap and continued hitting it well. I'm wondering if interlock helps me square up more. I think overlap helped me to relax my grip....which was good. I think interlock could MAYBE help me bring the club through impact more square...I dunno. It's not comfortable, but I could make it comfortable with practice, I suppose.

Grip thoughts from anyone??? I know everyone is different...but what's worked or not worked for you guys? Anyone have any similar thoughts to mine? That a certain grip helps you square up better?

I'm visiting family in SW FL to help out on a couple of projects since I'm still unable to work under C-19 restrictions.

Due to my location - I played a little rural course that was basically mowed cow pasture in the fairways but it had decent greens.
Shot a 94. Couldn't find a couple of balls that clearly landed well in bounds and very near the fairway, LOL.

Past two rounds have revealed a new detriment creeping into my game.
As the round progresses I find myself gripping stronger and stronger having the effect of shutting down the club face and pulling things left. I'm able to get more neutral with the 5 iron on down to wedges, but the long clubs find me over gripping and I have a hard time shaking it.

Think I need a range day with just woods and hybrids to try sorting this out.

Grip thoughts from anyone??? I know everyone is different...but what's worked or not worked for you guys? Anyone have any similar thoughts to mine? That a certain grip helps you square up better?

When I decided to get "serious" about improving a year and a half ago, I was instructed on a neutral interlock grip. Although I'm struggling with a tendency to revert to a strong grip, the neutral grip gives me added power and distance when I execute with it properly. (I also find it helps me hit down on the ball with irons more effectively)

At one point I put a training grip on an old 9 iron and left it sitting by the couch. I'd randomly pick it up and feel the proper hand placement and brush the carpet with tiny little swings while watching TV to drive home the feel.

Nah, Hot Metals still have plenty of forgiveness. The shot the G20 will be better at is if you come in steep and, without the wide sole saving it, would end taking a beaver pelt divot and lay sod over the ball. The Hot Metals look a lot nicer, people love the feel, and the hot face/forgiveness.

I found for my game that the wide sole of the G15 plus my sweeper/picker swings means I sometimes would have issues with clean contact.

Dave
I don't usually take any real divots on well-hit shots. I'm much more of a sweeper. I've hit enough really nice shots with the 919s to know I CAN hit them, but, I'm a self-hating guilt monger, by years of practice. LOL.

Such a bummer - played from the far tees for the first time ever on a course with 73.2/140 and shot 102 with three awful holes 8(on a short 4)-10-10.

I just need more confidence in putting and chipping.

Such a bummer - played from the far tees for the first time ever on a course with 73.2/140 and shot 102 with three awful holes 8(on a short 4)-10-10.

My recommendation on chipping - not that I'm a pro, but seems to be the one thing I can do consistently decently (and if I get out of whack, can usually fix it quickly) - pick a club you like to come in high with, and one you like to come in low and run it across the green. I go with my 58* and my been using my 9 iron with the Cobras (my old irons, would use a 7 iron).

Get your various swings honed in with your more lofted club...grip it low, mid, high (normal grip) and take a quarter or half swing with all these grips...see where you're at. Anything more than a half swing to me...I'm either swinging the 58 somewhat normal or I'm taking a shorter swing with the 54.

With your iron...you need less practice...on these I'm chipping from the fringe and thinking of it like a putt. But...still...practice it. Just an easier shot to practice (to me) than the lofted shot....work that hell out of that lofted club from different spots around a chipping green, different distances, etc. Main thing I always have to remind myself - hit it. Make sure you're swinging thru the ball, don't wuss out on it. Your backswing will control the distance you're going to hit it. If you bail on the swing as you come to impact, you're going to chip it like 5 yards when you're needing 20.

That 58 has save me on some pars (and even bogeys) with a chip in here and there (I know..if I was any good I'd be chipping in for birdie or eagle but I'll take what I can get).

Basically - keep it as simple as possible, so you have less to think about. In my case I'm using the 58 for anything unless it's on the fringe and I just want to run it with the 9. Takes out a lot of guesswork and second guessing.

When I decided to get "serious" about improving a year and a half ago, I was instructed on a neutral interlock grip. Although I'm struggling with a tendency to revert to a strong grip, the neutral grip gives me added power and distance when I execute with it properly. (I also find it helps me hit down on the ball with irons more effectively)

At one point I put a training grip on an old 9 iron and left it sitting by the couch. I'd randomly pick it up and feel the proper hand placement and brush the carpet with tiny little swings while watching TV to drive home the feel.

I have a few old clubs laying around the house and will randomly grab one and just play with grip and kind of waggle the club. It helped me adjust from baseball to overlap...and I THINK I'm going to try and adjust from overlap to interlock....I THINK it helps my hands work together a bit more which = more square clubface.....but....what do I know.

I have a few old clubs laying around the house and will randomly grab one and just play with grip and kind of waggle the club. It helped me adjust from baseball to overlap...and I THINK I'm going to try and adjust from overlap to interlock....I THINK it helps my hands work together a bit more which = more square clubface.....but....what do I know.

I think you're probably right and I'd even suggest it may even help "maintain lag" just a tiny bit more on the downswing.

I'd take that number from the long tees at this stage, personally, What was the total yardage from "the tips?'

I'd take that number from the long tees at this stage, personally, What was the total yardage from "the tips?'
agreed...I have no desire to play from the back tees....haha. I am happy to play the white tees.

Get thee to the putting green!!

My recommendation on chipping - not that I'm a pro, but seems to be the one thing I can do consistently decently (and if I get out of whack, can usually fix it quickly) - pick a club you like to come in high with, and one you like to come in low and run it across the green. I go with my 58* and my been using my 9 iron with the Cobras (my old irons, would use a 7 iron).

Get your various swings honed in with your more lofted club...grip it low, mid, high (normal grip) and take a quarter or half swing with all these grips...see where you're at. Anything more than a half swing to me...I'm either swinging the 58 somewhat normal or I'm taking a shorter swing with the 54.

With your iron...you need less practice...on these I'm chipping from the fringe and thinking of it like a putt. But...still...practice it. Just an easier shot to practice (to me) than the lofted shot....work that hell out of that lofted club from different spots around a chipping green, different distances, etc. Main thing I always have to remind myself - hit it. Make sure you're swinging thru the ball, don't wuss out on it. Your backswing will control the distance you're going to hit it. If you bail on the swing as you come to impact, you're going to chip it like 5 yards when you're needing 20.

That 58 has save me on some pars (and even bogeys) with a chip in here and there (I know..if I was any good I'd be chipping in for birdie or eagle but I'll take what I can get).

Basically - keep it as simple as possible, so you have less to think about. In my case I'm using the 58 for anything unless it's on the fringe and I just want to run it with the 9. Takes out a lot of guesswork and second guessing.
quick! someone link the Kisner video!!

Seems like Tuesday is my normal golf day lately. I usually go with my grandson when he gets off work at 1. But its dang hot by then. Supposed to be 104 today.

So for the first time in a while I went by myself this morning to a different course. Its about 30 miles from me so I don't go there that often. I used to go a lot after work because it was 10 minutes from my job. Now that i'm retired I normally stick to my home course about 6 miles from me.

Anyway, getting to the golf game this morning. I will say I shot the best front 9 ever. After a double bogey to start I hit 5 pars in a row. Only did that one other time in my life. Shot a 42 on the front. I was ecstatic. They paired me with a married couple. They were very nice but their golf game is actually worse than mine. He shot a 106 and she didn't keep score. He was actually happy with his 106. But it was nice to meet someone else on the course. We had good conversations about different things.

Back to the game. The back 9 wasn't so kind for me. Shot an even 50 for a 92. A good score for me no doubt. This course for me is slightly easier. Its a little bit longer overall but not as many trees and water holes. If fact, some previous holes that had water in the past were dry. California water conservation I guess.

One hole really did me in. One of the few holes with water on the right. I hit the water on my drive. It bounced once into the water so I didn't have to re-tee. I took the drop. The shortest route to the green from there was to carry about 150 yards over the water. The green was about 200 from there.

Its a par 5 so stupid me I thought I would try to get close to the green and save par or bogey. I hit it too thin and it was too low to carry 150 yards. In the water again. I have to hit from the same drop spot because it went over the water where I was. So now I'm hitting my 5th shot. Wanted to try and get out of there with a triple so I played safe and hit back to the fairway to get within 80 yards. My 6th shot hit the bunker. 7th on the green. Of all times to 3 putt. Ended up with a ten.

This par 5 is short. About 450 yards with a big dogleg right. Hit it too far and you go off the fairway into some tall grass. All I had to do was hit a couple hybrids from the tee box to get within 100 yards or less. Probably no worse than a two putt bogey if I miss the wedge from there. That woulda got me below 90 for the first time in over a year. But I got greedy thinking I could cut some yardage and get there in two. I was hitting the driver pretty good. But this time it was a high right slice into the water. Oh well. As I keep saying, the life of a high handicapper. Still happy with the 92.

6817 per the scorecard. Not sure exactly how it played that day, seemed fairly even.

Get thee to the putting green!!

I need to practice this more but I find it to be boring (lack of stimulation). Perhaps I will try it before hitting range balls.

Seems like Tuesday is my normal golf day lately. I usually go with my grandson when he gets off work at 1. But its dang hot by then. Supposed to be 104 today.

So for the first time in a while I went by myself this morning to a different course. Its about 30 miles from me so I don't go there that often. I used to go a lot after work because it was 10 minutes from my job. Now that i'm retired I normally stick to my home course about 6 miles from me.

Anyway, getting to the golf game this morning. I will say I shot the best front 9 ever. After a double bogey to start I hit 5 pars in a row. Only did that one other time in my life. Shot a 42 on the front. I was ecstatic. They paired me with a married couple. They were very nice but their golf game is actually worse than mine. He shot a 106 and she didn't keep score. He was actually happy with his 106. But it was nice to meet someone else on the course. We had good conversations about different things.

Back to the game. The back 9 wasn't so kind for me. Shot an even 50 for a 92. A good score for me no doubt. This course for me is slightly easier. Its a little bit longer overall but not as many trees and water holes. If fact, some previous holes that had water in the past were dry. California water conservation I guess.

One hole really did me in. One of the few holes with water on the right. I hit the water on my drive. It bounced once into the water so I didn't have to re-tee. I took the drop. The shortest route to the green from there was to carry about 150 yards over the water. The green was about 200 from there.

Its a par 5 so stupid me I thought I would try to get close to the green and save par or bogey. I hit it too thin and it was too low to carry 150 yards. In the water again. I have to hit from the same drop spot because it went over the water where I was. So now I'm hitting my 5th shot. Wanted to try and get out of there with a triple so I played safe and hit back to the fairway to get within 80 yards. My 6th shot hit the bunker. 7th on the green. Of all times to 3 putt. Ended up with a ten.

This par 5 is short. About 450 yards with a big dogleg right. Hit it too far and you go off the fairway into some tall grass. All I had to do was hit a couple hybrids from the tee box to get within 100 yards or less. Probably no worse than a two putt bogey if I miss the wedge from there. That woulda got me below 90 for the first time in over a year. But I got greedy thinking I could cut some yardage and get there in two. I was hitting the driver pretty good. But this time it was a high right slice into the water. Oh well. As I keep saying, the life of a high handicapper. Still happy with the 92.
A 92 is great! (Especially with a blow up hole.)
I think every golfer in the world has had the "It seemed like a good plan at the time." moment.
I did on Sunday, sadly.
Learn the lesson, play smarter next time. All good.

I need to practice this more but I find it to be boring (lack of stimulation). Perhaps I will try it before hitting range balls.
Boring, it can be, no doubt. Maybe make it harder on yourself by picking smaller, more difficult targets. Do a reducing game where you keep making the landing area smaller. You can get a lot of good sharpening down in 20-30 minutes if you concentrate. Have any good golfing friends near you? Meet at the chipping area and play a $10 closest to the pin game, that will focus you and keep it from being boring.

A humorous anecdote: one time, while playing with my brother, we had chips from about 1 foot away from each other. He said "Closest to the pin for $10?". I, being full of hubris, said sure, and promptly skulled my shot over the green. In a fit of rage, I reached down, grabbed his ball and threw it into a bunker about 20 feet away. I think I still owe him the money.

Back