Trying to Break 100

After the good round on Saturday, I followed it up with 40 points yesterday (gross 77, par 70) in our final league match and had the highest score on the day overall, and as a consequence I have qualified for the individual finals in a few weeks time as the top scorer for our club

If my calculations are correct, I will also see my handicap drop from 10.5 to 9.7 once the scores are all processed

Nice! Btw I’m really liking the truvis balls, do you use them a lot?

Sorry, didn't see this until today as I was playing our league match yesterday and by the time I got home it was late so I watched the highlights of the Solheim Cup

Yes, I predominantly play the Truvis ball, at the moment I have the white/red in the standard Chromesoft now that the weather has cooled down a bit, and the white/blue in the X which I played over the warmer months

Howdy B100! Crazy month here with moving and such like, means little to no time for golf, which is of course unacceptable. I’m hoping to get out for some holes tomorrow at my new home course, so I should be back to explain how the course designers were terrible unfair people. ?

After the good round on Saturday, I followed it up with 40 points yesterday (gross 77, par 70) in our final league match and had the highest score on the day overall, and as a consequence I have qualified for the individual finals in a few weeks time as the top scorer for our club

If my calculations are correct, I will also see my handicap drop from 10.5 to 9.7 once the scores are all processed

That is great playing Doc!!! The new irons are treating you well no doubt!!! Congrats on getting into single digits!!!!

What is your hybrid lineup? Lately I've been struggling big time with my irons.
19 degree (3-iron), 22 degree (4-iron), and 25 degree (5-iron).
Average distance is ~140 (25 degree), ~150 (22 degree), ~160 (19 degree).

The distances are starting to creep up a bit lately, I've been hitting them well. Every now and again, I'll nut one either the 3, or 4, and give it a few extra yards.

Yes, I predominantly play the Truvis ball, at the moment I have the white/red in the standard Chromesoft now that the weather has cooled down a bit, and the white/blue in the X which I played over the warmer months

I like the Truvis ball too. For performance and the fact my older eyes can find them in the rough!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That is great playing Doc!!! The new irons are treating you well no doubt!!! Congrats on getting into single digits!!!!

Cheers Snickers

I think the only club in the bag that wasn't hit yesterday was the 3W and that is only because the course didn't warrant it, but everything else was pretty much money
The only issue with bad shots was the idiot holding the club primarily, but there were a couple of bunkers which felt like they had sand in them when I took my stance but when playing the shot there was no sand under the ball and I almost thinned them when the club bounced and I wasn't expecting it

2i was the club of the day, used off a lot of tees to put me in position and on a 260yd dogleg par 4 I carried the trouble as close to the tree line as I could and left myself about 35yds to the green
Annoyingly I lost 1 ball on a blind tee shot that we suspect landed in the left rough but because we couldn't see it land we had no idea where it was

The weather is finally starting to turn here in PHX. I was able to get out for an afternoon round with the temps at 95 and lower! I played a new to me course. It's a municipal course that has become the home course for Arizona State. They've put some money into it. Phil M even designed the practice facility. Mortals are not allowed into that area, but the Range is quite scenic. My playing partner and I got paired with another duo. John and Jon. Really nice guys. Excellent golfers. But being a novice, getting paired with this level of golfer got in my head. I was wildly inconsistent. Reverting back to the mean after my 93 on Sunday.

Turns out, Jon was an all American at Texas. Played on the tour. At 68, he was playing from the Tips and just amazing to watch him swing a club. He "miss hit" a drive, leaving him directly behind a large tree with the ball resting on a root about 185 yards out. He walks up, and plays this huge draw out and around the tree, just over the large front bunker landing directly in line with the pin and rolls to 10 feet. John and Jon politely shook our hands at the turn and parted ways. Splitting back into two 2-somes.

Since I couldn't play any worse, I decided to learn to hit a driver on the course. It actually went really well. I managed two drives on the back 9 that carried 265+ straight in the middle of the fairway. We ran into some really slow golfers as the sun started to set. so we did not get to play the last two holes. But I was on my way to possible breaking 50 on the back nine. When they started pulling people off the course, we past the super slow foursome as they were putting on the par 3 17. We rolled up to the tee box just wanting to get one more swing in before we called it a day. One of the guys in that group really did not appreciate us. So he ran from the green while the rest of his group was still putting to confront us. He loudly proclaimed he was going to hit into us. As my partner hooked a long shot OB. I walked up with no practice swing and crushed the best drive I've ever had. My parter turned to him and looked him in the eye and said good luck with that. I just walked to the cart and said "I'm done see you later". As we drove up the fairway, the guy must have been steaming because he managed to hit a drive just over our cart. I picked up my ball near his, gave a no look wave and drove off. In one round, I got to the see the best in fellow golfers and in this guy, the worst.

I had fun regardless, as that A-hat couldn't spoil a day like that. Yes we discussed the incident with the cart guys.
I squinted really hard, but did not see any giant predatory lizards lurking in the trees, or peeking out over some rocks.

Y'all need to upgrade you dinosaur game down there.

By the way, nice looking course.

You should have Chuck Norris Roundhouse Kicked the asshat.

I picked up some Mizuno MP4s in 4-PW off Callaway Preowned that have shafts I can play, True Temper XP 105 R300. The clubs should arrive tomorrow and I'm quite interested to see how the "Average" rated clubs look and what grips they have. CPO has a quite good sale going on now and I was able to get for a price that if I choose to flip them later that I think the experience is worth it.

I wanted to get 716 CBs at the end of last season, but the set I bought was lost between the UPS/USPS free shipping trade off and it was the last set Budget had. I was refunded and decided to go AP2 instead. I've enjoyed using the AP2s as there's a mix of good looks and feel combined with results. My average score with AP2s adjusted for 9 holes / par 36 is 45.42 and is 45.31 for more forgiving clubs (mostly G15s), basically a wash. I'd rather the AP2s had a lighter shaft though, True Temper Dynamic AMT R300 are quite heavy.

I'm excited to put the MP4s through the paces. Will I put them in the bag? I'd love to honestly, but really who knows. I anticipate I should be able to hit them ok with some practice. I feel like I may be a nut, but the itch has been there for purist irons for a while and I need to scratch it.

When they were new they were quite the work of art, shown below.

Dave

View attachment 8906968
When you flush a shot with one of those, it will be a damn near sexual experience.

Great to hear the pain subsided! That’s huge, I know. Part of the fun is learning the nuisances of the “new clubs.” You’ll get them dialed in.

I went to new graphite irons this spring and was starting to see “improvement.” Can’t wait until 9/21 to hit some balls after a 2.5 mo break.

The only time I've ever seen an autocorrect that was accurate.

Wind got up a bit at times today but very happy with a round of 78 on a course I haven't played for a long time

Even came close to a hole in one on the tiny 85yd par 3

Just hope I can play as well tomorrow in the league match
24f0d539579902c22da9cdfc76dc2f96.jpg
e6ed1e5423c79e5604e2853b64028563.jpg

Sent from my LG-H870 using Tapatalk
Niiice.

So... I’m at PGASS and see this. The Ping 1-A, the club that started Karsten Mfg 60 yrs ago.

Since I started 60 yrs ago as well, it was a natural - that and I sunk three putts and left three other inside the circle from 15’...

Did I mention I’m a putter ho...

ed6585acce9974996e45c93d5fb3da01.jpg

0e41a596abb1bdf78634c1e97a5fdb11.jpg

e45fb40ae155bc06c513aadb97d5cade.jpg
252b80156cf7a746a9f196f97801eec4.jpg

2c747967db6de25d8af88559ee5c8653.jpg

One of my regular playing friends still rocks one of the with the original grip.

Played a solid track yesterday with my brother and some friends. Ended up with a 49/49 for a 98, and pretty pleased with myself. As we always do (and say), I left ~6-8 strokes on the greens. My putting has been not as tight lately. Not sure why.
Anyhoo, three pars made me happy. One was about an inch from an eagle that ran past the hole about 10 feet. The hybrids are performing well, now I'm hitting them more like a FW. (Up in stance, more of a sweeping swing. I know it's not how I'm supposed to hit these, but it's working so I shan't question.)
It was pretty much the standard round, except for the percentage of solid shots, especially the hybrids was up.
Kept it in the fairway off the tee for most of the day, and when it was off, I either had a decent look for a second shot, or at least a decent look at a punch out.
Irons felt good as well.
Yeah, a good day.

Snuck out this morning for 9 on the new home course. Course has 3 nines which is nice. It’s a very pretty course, and lots of target golf which I like, it forces me to leave the driver in the bag. Playing safe today netted me a natural birdie on the 8th hole and I shot a respectable 46. Lots of 3 putts, mostly because I couldn’t judge the green speed to save a bogie.

Update from my earlier post saying I expected to be cut to 9.7 - I have also been given an 'Exceptional Scoring Reduction' due to how well I have been playing lately and my official handicap is now the lowest it has ever been

Handicap - 9.2 (9)

Update from my earlier post saying I expected to be cut to 9.7 - I have also been given an 'Exceptional Scoring Reduction' due to how well I have been playing lately and my official handicap is now the lowest it has ever been

Handicap - 9.2 (9)
Congrats doc!!

Well shot an 88 on Sun. Not a horrible round but i did have 4-3 putts which does not help lol. Much better off the tee and some great irons made me happy. I need to break this level i have been at for awhile.

Wasn't able to play this weekend. Only thing golf related I was able to do was stop by Pebble Beach on my way down the coast from San Fran to San Diego. Carmel and the area are absolutely beautiful. Loved it and being able to stop by at Pebble Beach and see the course. It's a bucket list item to play there for sure. Someday....someday.

Snuck out this morning for 9 on the new home course. Course has 3 nines which is nice. It’s a very pretty course, and lots of target golf which I like, it forces me to leave the driver in the bag. Playing safe today netted me a natural birdie on the 8th hole and I shot a respectable 46. Lots of 3 putts, mostly because I couldn’t judge the green speed to save a bogie.
How close to home is it? Three nines that make you work on the target game will reap you lots of good scores.

Well shot an 88 on Sun. Not a horrible round but i did have 4-3 putts which does not help lol. Much better off the tee and some great irons made me happy. I need to break this level i have been at for awhile.
The only real answer is to keep grinding. The answer I prefer is "You need to buy a nice shiny set of new clubs."

Wasn't able to play this weekend. Only thing golf related I was able to do was stop by Pebble Beach on my way down the coast from San Fran to San Diego. Carmel and the area are absolutely beautiful. Loved it and being able to stop by at Pebble Beach and see the course. It's a bucket list item to play there for sure. Someday....someday.
Or, play 10 nice courses that aren't Pebble.

The only real answer is to keep grinding. The answer I prefer is "You need to buy a nice shiny set of new clubs."

Agreed that is a perfect solution!

I squinted really hard, but did not see any giant predatory lizards lurking in the trees, or peeking out over some rocks.

Y'all need to upgrade you dinosaur game down there.

Be careful looking for lost balls.

IMG_4529.PNG

Concerning, yes, but not terror inducing when seeing from a distance. I need something on the scale of that giant gator in Florida.

Edit: or Sharktapus

You're in luck, you'll never see the mountain loin that eats you.

Back