Trying to Break 100

played another new course today...only got 10 in because I can't wait for slow play...finish 14 over...was pretty happy with it. the driver was alive and well. didn't hit all the fairways but only 2 were way off...and I managed a few 250+ yard drives...not sure if it was working on the stance or dropping the loft down on the M2. I cannot say it enough about the HL4 and Cleveland irons....I LOVE THEM. I was thinking about grabbing a set of CBXs but I'm re-thinking that....maybe just play these as long as I can muzzle the gear ***** in me and enjoy them.

normally, houses along the fairway bother me...not today :)
index.php

managed a 143yd shot with the 9i to get on in 2

index.php

Nice 9 iron! Sounds like you're hitting the irons well enough to avoid upgrading. Where are you playing?

Nice 9 iron! Sounds like you're hitting the irons well enough to avoid upgrading. Where are you playing?

thank you...this course is in Lemoore, CA...pretty bumpy fairways (lots of bag chatter during the cart ride) but I like the layout. i'll probably play here more often but walk

played another new course today...only got 10 in because I can't wait for slow play...finish 14 over...was pretty happy with it. the driver was alive and well. didn't hit all the fairways but only 2 were way off...and I managed a few 250+ yard drives...not sure if it was working on the stance or dropping the loft down on the M2. I cannot say it enough about the HL4 and Cleveland irons....I LOVE THEM. I was thinking about grabbing a set of CBXs but I'm re-thinking that....maybe just play these as long as I can muzzle the gear ***** in me and enjoy them.

normally, houses along the fairway bother me...not today :)
index.php

managed a 143yd shot with the 9i to get on in 2

index.php
Nice. I'd stick with the clubs you're playing. Your playing handicap might no be where you want it but your club ho game is in the single digits and I'm not sure it's helping your game, to be honest. Stick with a set for a while and see where you're at for a few months.

Nice. I'd stick with the clubs you're playing. Your playing handicap might no be where you want it but your club ho game is in the single digits and I'm not sure it's helping your game, to be honest. Stick with a set for a while and see where you're at for a few months.

i'm trying ;)...the clevelands have made it pretty easy :)

The new Recoil 440ES driver shaft is great, consistently around 200 carry with 1.38-1.45 smash factor! Not a bad $57 investment from CPO.

No lesson today, have the plague.

Evening all.

Got my first 9 in of the year this morning. Played a local municipal course with a friend who hasn't picked up a club in years. It was like playing in a swamp but still a lot of fun. Ended something like +10 for 9 with a couple of stinkers at the start but managed to play the last 5 +1. Hopefully I'll be able to get out and play or practice at least once a week this year after only managing around 10 games in 2019.

After a brutal stretch of three absolutely terrible rounds, including one with two 10’s in three holes, finally bounced back and shot a 95 yesterday. Only one par, but set personal records for putts (35), no 3-putts and no triple bogeys in a round. The one par resulted in my best shot - 30 ft. putt from one end of the green to the other and got it to an inch of the hole for a tap-in par.

Really need to stop hitting 3-4 inches behind the ball on my iron shots as much as I’ve been doing, but slowing my swing speed and adjusting club selection accordingly got me through the afternoon.

Lessons cannot come soon enough lol.

After a brutal stretch of three absolutely terrible rounds, including one with two 10’s in three holes, finally bounced back and shot a 95 yesterday. Only one par, but set personal records for putts (35), no 3-putts and no triple bogeys in a round. The one par resulted in my best shot - 30 ft. putt from one end of the green to the other and got it to an inch of the hole for a tap-in par.

Really need to stop hitting 3-4 inches behind the ball on my iron shots as much as I’ve been doing, but slowing my swing speed and adjusting club selection accordingly got me through the afternoon.

I had a similar situation this fall. Some really good weight loss lengthened my backswing reach and flexibility. With my “normal” tempo, I was hitting behind the ball. After a bit of retooling, it’s coming around! Just keep trying!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I had a similar situation this fall. Some really good weight loss lengthened my backswing reach and flexibility. With my “normal” tempo, I was hitting behind the ball. After a bit of retooling, it’s coming around! Just keep trying!

I kinda feel the same way after my first round yesterday in a few months - having had my back issue sorted I am suddenly able to turn more freely / aggressively and it has messed me up a little bit in terms of timing as I just couldn't sync up my swing yesterday and everything was pretty much a push-fade due to not squaring up the face

A session or two at the range should fix that up, but I just couldn't do it yesterday

You might be hitting off your back foot. Try finishing your swing with your weight forward. Hitting behind the ball can be caused by this.

My shaft shortening continues, just made an offer for Matrix Ozik Red Tie 65 Q4 for my F8 5-6FWY. It plays almost 2" shorter. It's the same shaft that was in F6 Baffler fairway also used by Fowler back in the day. Just need to come up with a catchy name for this club. Driver with 3w shaft is thriver, as a concept this is a Poor Man's Super Hybrid but it's not that catchy nor punchy name. Suggestions anyone?

My shaft shortening continues, just made an offer for Matrix Ozik Red Tie 65 Q4 for my F8 5-6FWY. It plays almost 2" shorter. It's the same shaft that was in F6 Baffler fairway also used by Fowler back in the day. Just need to come up with a catchy name for this club. Driver with 3w shaft is thriver, as a concept this is a Poor Man's Super Hybrid but it's not that catchy nor punchy name. Suggestions anyone?

The new Recoil driver shaft I got from CPO was built 1” shorter (with a sticker noting the fact on the shaft). That was the shaft I was consistently getting 1.35+ smash factors last Sunday.

The new Recoil driver shaft I got from CPO was built 1” shorter (with a sticker noting the fact on the shaft). That was the shaft I was consistently getting 1.35+ smash factors last Sunday.

Based on my limited experience, my firm belief is that OEMs provide too long shafts for us amateurs in woods and drivers. It's a distance driven market, which hurts most of us weekend warriors :(

Fighting that market, my driver has 2" shorter shaft and so does my 5W.

Based on my limited experience, my firm belief is that OEMs provide too long shafts for us amateurs in woods and drivers. It's a distance driven market, which hurts most of us weekend warriors :(

Fighting that market, my driver has 2" shorter shaft and so does my 5W.
The OEMs only sell us what we want to buy. A driver ad for Taylormade that says “Go practice your putting.” wouldn’t sell a bunch of drivers.

The OEMs only sell us what we want to buy. A driver ad for Taylormade that says “Go practice your putting.” wouldn’t sell a bunch of drivers.
To some extent, it's chicken and the egg.

walked 9...scored a 51 but hit 57% FW and 44% GIR, both of which are well above my norm. driver distance was down this round but I can live with that. tried a lighter bag since I was carrying (D, 4H, 2-3i, 5i, 7i, 9i, PW, LW and P)...my most played clubs were the D, 7i (only used on the 2 Par 3 tee shots) and 9i, PW and P....I used the 4H and 2i once each. Thinking I could drop the LW and maybe the 2i for my "carry" set up...

Internet is ment to be used to support your own subjective beliefs:

And this supports my subjective experince, going shorter on the driver shaft last year helped me find more fairways without sacrificing distance. Eagerly waiting for shorter FW shaft to arrive.

What if breaking 100 actually means first you need to break your driver shaft to be under 100cm (~40")? :p

Internet is ment to be used to support your own subjective beliefs:

And this supports my subjective experince, going shorter on the driver shaft last year helped me find more fairways without sacrificing distance. Eagerly waiting for shorter FW shaft to arrive.

What if breaking 100 actually means first you need to break your driver shaft to be under 100cm (~40")? :p

What shaft length did you go from and to?

I have been working a lot with my striking consistency last weeks and I would like to share my daily routine that has helped me pure my iron shots. I think this is very helpful for us high cappers struggling with consistency and trying to break 100. Routine is proudly copied from Orange Whip training demo:

Equipment
4-5 clubs, I use Utility 2/3, 4i, 6i, 8i. This is what I usually have, but it does not hurt to shuffle drivers, fairways and hybrids into the mix. I want to be better iron striker, therefore I concentrate on irons only. One can use training aids like Orange Whip, I like to do this with actual clubs to build up hand-eye coordination and feel for each club. And yes, these are air swings, no balls required.

Warmup
Whatever rocks your boat, but make sure you warm up 5-10 mins so that your muscles and joints can move freely and you don't hurt yourself

Training routine
10-15 One handed swings (back and forth, continuously), trail hand
10-15 One handed swings (back and forth, continuously), lead hand
10-15 Normal swings (back and forth, continuously)
10-15 Individual shots

Frequency
This is daily routine, try to do it at least once a day. It only takes 15-20 minutes per round.

Focus
Fluid motion, tension free swings. Do not try to force the club, let it swing and just control the momentum, do not try to steer the club. Focus on 180 degree hip/torso turn. Forget speed and force. Speed will come when you start swinging with whole body in sync and the club just whips the ball. Forget swing mechanics, your body will soon learn what is the most efficient way to swing each club.

For two handed swings, have a focal point, for example tape in the carpet representing the ball. Try to hit it with same apex and path every time.

Testimonial :D
I did this routine 1-2 times a day for two weeks. Before that I could not hit my long irons at all. After I can hit my 4i with confidence of the deck (matt, which for me is harder than actual turf).

So before buying new clubs, give this a shot for 2-4 weeks, hit the range and be amazed of the results :)

when measuring driver length, are you measure tip of the butt/grip to sole of the club? or are you simply measuring tip to tip on the shaft (so to speak :LOL:)? and if tip to tip, is it bare shaft, or with the adapter?

when measuring driver length, are you measure tip of the butt/grip to sole of the club? or are you simply measuring tip to tip on the shaft (so to speak :LOL:)? and if tip to tip, is it bare shaft, or with the adapter?
I'm using playing length, stated on OEMs (cobra) website, that ~1.5" more than shaft itself.

Back