Trying to Break 80 Club

Shot an 87 today, 45/42. New putter in the bag and had 22 putts on the front, had 5 3-jacks and a couple 2's that should have been 1's. Settled into it on the back and brought it down to 16 putts, but had one penalty that was 6' OB. Striped 3 off the tee down the middle and ended up with a triple. Ball striking was pretty good, course had 2" of rain over the weekend and got zero roll out so approach shots were longer. All in all, fairly encouraging for this time of the year. Get the putting cleaned up a little bit and playing in better conditions I feel pretty confident I'll see the 70's this year. I just started my first lessons ever this year and I've got about 3 in now, already seeing a decent amount of consistency and improvement.

Can i join? My best so far this year is 82. My handicap index is 12.7 (as of today). I made it my goal to break 80 first by spring and now summer. I think I can do it if i am not conscious of my score. My garmin s20 watch doesnt give an actual score but a running count plus and minus's but it is easy to ignore while scrolling through the screens. Last year i was even par after 7 holes then I realized what I was doing and doubled the 8th and bogied the 9th.

I am hoping to join this year after years of frustration. My best round ever is an 81 from two years ago. I bought some Callaway Apex irons three weeks ago and just upgraded my driver to the Ping G. I just need to get out of my own way to make this happen. I have the skill set, just need to stop making silly errors like hitting drives out of bounds and posting one or two doubles per round. It WILL happen this year. I am sure of it.

Person above sounds similar to me. My best is an 81 from two years ago. Just bought AP1 714s and a G25 driver. Pretty certain I'll break 80 this year.

Eventually broke 80 yesterday :banana:

Shot a 78 gross for a nett 64 at my home course (par 70)..

I haven't broke 80 in years, 2012-2013. My game is coming around again so I guess it's time I get back in this thread.

I was on 79 watch early in the round today. I bogeyed both 8 and 9 to shoot a 40 on the front. But struggled on the back for a 45.

81 today, I lost it on the back nine. I think I let it get in my mind. I will do it soon.

Finally Pulled it off. Wasn't even a clean round, had a double and shanked two shots, so im very happy with the outcome.

Hope there are more of these in the future, as it was fun as hell.

IMG_20160514_184807.jpg

Broke 80 for only the second time with a 77 on a par 71 course yesterday. It was a shorter course than I usually play but it is very tight and if you are in trouble off the tee you are just hoping to find your ball and have a pitch out sideways. Had a sand save birdie on the finishing par 5 to shoot even par on the back nine. First time I've ever shot even on a nine holes before!

War Eagle from my iPhone

Sadly, I am still trending in the wrong direction to break 80, right now. Just making too many mistakes on 3 or 4 holes per round, and it's absolutely killing my score. The line between mid-80s and sub-80 is so very thin.

Two in a row now at my home course! 78 a week gone Sunday and 79 last night

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Great thread! I'm so close i can taste it. Shot 81 twice in the last month. Every round i can count the shots i've missed that would've gotten me there. Mostly 3 putts keeping me from getting there. I've gotten fitted for a whole new bag of clubs about a month ago. Once i get settled into them (especially the putter) i think ill be there.

Just barely starting to think about moving from the Breaking 90 to Breaking 80 club... have had a few 9 hole rounds in the low 40s now and am excited about my progress. Hoping to join this thread on a more regular basis soon :)

Really working towards breaking 80 this year. Steadily (but slowly) improving, with an emphasis on mistake free golf (7 rounds in this year, ZERO lost balls!).

Currently stuck at that 84 number at away courses (but have shot a 68 at our old home course). Just cannot break through when at away courses.

Good on all of you that have recently broken that barrier!

So close yet again. First time at a new course, and everything was on track.

16th hole was a 170 par 3. right pin placement. I had no idea that to the right of the green there was a steep slope leading into water. I put two balls in the drink, which ultimately led to an 83.

I shot 79 on a par 71 course. Does that count? If so, its my first round under 80 ever.

~Rock

Just barely starting to think about moving from the Breaking 90 to Breaking 80 club... have had a few 9 hole rounds in the low 40s now and am excited about my progress. Hoping to join this thread on a more regular basis soon :)

Shot a 48/38-86 home course yesterday (a 2,652y 9-hole par 70 track - short, but narrow and challenging). The 38 on the second 9 was my first time under 40.

I know it's not the same as an 86 on a longer 18 hole course but I'm encouraged anyway.

My total score wasn't especially close yesterday. But on a day when I could not get the ball in the hole and I experimented with a different driver in the bag, I played 14 of the 18 holes at 4 over par. It is a step in the right direction.

Still knocking on the door of the Breaking 80 club but getting closer. Another round in the 30s yesterday on a 9 hole 2,696y track near my office. 3 GIRs and 14 putts.

If I can get in the low 40s or high 30s at league this week (which is on a longer course) then I'll feel like it's time to set up shop here in the Breaking 80 thread.

fb7325bb73ea1dc3971cdc64cc95d9ed.jpg

Well it didn't take long after getting fitted for new clubs. After never breaking 80 I flew right on by it today. Even with a quad bogey on number 3. I had 5 Birdies and an Eagle today. Unbelievable round really. I hope i can continue to play like this now that iv'e passed this milestone. (I'm Matt BTW, David and Thomas didn't play so hot today)

Score of 74 standing on the 18th tee box. I blocked the drive into the trees on the right side of the fairway and finished with a quad bogey (8) and final score of 82. Ugh!!! Nothing more than a bogey for the first 17 holes. Tough course but happy to know sub 80 is possible. Prefect weather was nice (light winds and above average temps). Handicap back in single digits.

Score of 74 standing on the 18th tee box. I blocked the drive into the trees on the right side of the fairway and finished with a quad bogey (8) and final score of 82. Ugh!!! Nothing more than a bogey for the first 17 holes. Tough course but happy to know sub 80 is possible. Prefect weather was nice (light winds and above average temps). Handicap back in single digits.
Tough break, you'll get it next time! Good shooting.

Sent from my ONE A2005 using Tapatalk

A few weeks ago, I thought I was on the cusp of breaking 80. Now I would be happier than anything in the world to shoot into the mid-80's again. Stuck in the 90 zone the past couple rounds, absolutely frustrating the heck out of me!

Put in a 38 today at golf league. Putting has been a blessing this year, while it has been a curse the past 25. Slight hand adjustment and good tempo seems like the solution. Wish I could have played another 9 to see if I could hit under 80.

So, I'm just started to get back to having my feel again. Last August I had shoulder surgery and I'm now about twenty rounds back. My swing sequencing is still not great and fundamentals need re engrained but... With that said I'm interested to hear what everyone sees in these swings. I have made adjustments already that have brought extremely positive result but want to hear your thoughts.

Just ignore the gut flapping around in slow motion... I'm 20lbs lighter and going down but still have some hang I'm working on.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/11l8zsmaz3vep5e/Sequence 03.mp4?dl=0

Back