Trying to Break 80 Club

I'm just poking my head in here as I have been in the breaking 90's for what seems like forever. Last few rounds have been 84, 89, 88 and 86 all with between 2 and 4 penalties. Hopefully I'll be able to post more regularly in the not so distant future.

Hello, Breaking 80 thread. Haven't been in here in a while, and haven't been close, lately. Hopefully, sooner rather than later...

Well, I hadn't beaten 80 yet this year. Until Friday night I shot a 44, and a 35 for a 79. http://www.gamegolf.com/player/shifty/round/931000 First time I've ever shot par on 9, so a milestone for myself as well as beating 80 for the first time this year.
Then Saturday I shot a 42, and 36 for a 78. http://www.gamegolf.com/player/shifty/round/931000Was super pumped beating 80 in consecutive rounds.
Figured I'd try yesterday too, I shot a 43, then a 41, for 84. http://www.gamegolf.com/player/shifty/round/934111 Still kinda happy as my 41, I shot a 8 on the 10th hole which was a par 4.... so actually had a decent round of 41 with that disgrace of a hole, lol.

I have noticed my worse 9 is always the first. And I haven't warmed up with a bucket or anything, so I think possibly I can drop a few strokes from there as well with a good warm up. But shooting the best golf of my life, and loving it!

Maybe I should post in here more often, "wanting" to be in the 70s. Carded a 74, today, after a number of mediocre, or worse, rounds this season.

Just played 10 in +3. One double and two bogies with one birdie.

I'm at least back in the hunt to get this done again. It didn't happen today thanks to 3 doubles - two of them especially bad - and 8 missed putts inside 10 feet.

Hello old friend, I was close to leaving you this weekend but you sucked me back in. Ugh. So close yesterday.

Shot 80 again the other day. Followed it up by shooting EVEN PAR at the course where I took my very first swing exactly three years earlier. Granted it's a very short 9 hole par 33, but it still felt good. :act-up:

First sub 80 round of a complete 18 for this year today. 39/39 for a 78. Hopefully I can move on from trying to break 80 to consistently doing so. Maybe 2016 is the year to make that move?

Maybe I should post in here more often, "wanting" to be in the 70s. Carded a 74, today, after a number of mediocre, or worse, rounds this season.
Way to grab 80 by the hair and kick it square in berries! Kapow!

First sub 80 round of a complete 18 for this year today. 39/39 for a 78. Hopefully I can move on from trying to break 80 to consistently doing so. Maybe 2016 is the year to make that move?

you have the game to do it. now make it happen.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I posted some of this in the "What did you shoot today" thread, but felt it deserved to be here as well.

I shot an 85 yesterday, but it really should have been my first time breaking 80. I could not control my driver on the front and had 3 penalty strokes. All three of these came on both reachable in two par 5s on the front. I usually always at least par these two holes, but yesterday came away with two doubles. I had 9 pars during this round, the most I have ever had. My chipping was great, my putting was good, I was hitting greens, but those two damn holes killed me!! I really believe I could have shot a 79 yesterday, but just not meant to be.

Yeah, when I break down par 5's, I realize that I'm rarely going to hit them in 2 shots and my driver is sporadic.... So if I go hybrid and 5 iron, I'll have a wedge to give myself a shot at birdie...but at worst a par. Keep it going!

I posted some of this in the "What did you shoot today" thread, but felt it deserved to be here as well.

I shot an 85 yesterday, but it really should have been my first time breaking 80. I could not control my driver on the front and had 3 penalty strokes. All three of these came on both reachable in two par 5s on the front. I usually always at least par these two holes, but yesterday came away with two doubles. I had 9 pars during this round, the most I have ever had. My chipping was great, my putting was good, I was hitting greens, but those two damn holes killed me!! I really believe I could have shot a 79 yesterday, but just not meant to be.

Yeah, when I break down par 5's, I realize that I'm rarely going to hit them in 2 shots and my driver is sporadic.... So if I go hybrid and 5 iron, I'll have a wedge to give myself a shot at birdie...but at worst a par. Keep it going!
Unless there are hazards or OB you will score better in the long run taking driver off the tee. Even a bad driver you should be able to punch the ball to the 150 yard marker or so but using driver will also get you much closer and in turn will score better in the long run

this is generic advice as I don't know your game.

Unless there are hazards or OB you will score better in the long run taking driver off the tee. Even a bad driver you should be able to punch the ball to the 150 yard marker or so but using driver will also get you much closer and in turn will score better in the long run

this is generic advice as I don't know your game.

You're assuming a great deal about someone's game. Driver isn't a must on par 5s. And keeping it in the bag may actually help someone break 80.

You're assuming a great deal about someone's game. Driver isn't a must on par 5s. And keeping it in the bag may actually help someone break 80.

That's a true statement. I'm
Living proof that it's feasible.

If it's a 3 shot hole for someone driver that may go wayward isn't the smart play so,keeping the ball in front of the golfer is key. Play to a number on first two shots to,get you go,the comfortable approach shot. Something I consider on everyone shot whether it's par 4 or 5. Not to,mention the best in the world don't hit driver on every hole.

41 in league this week - 6 bogeys, 2 pars and a birdie. Hit 4 of 9 greens with 13 putts. Really having fun on the course these days.

Yeah it is a total assumption on my part. Would need to see his shot dispersion chart and an overview of the hole to say for sure. It also depends if you are playing to a certain score, which is what the thread is about, compared to trying to shoot the lowest score you can.

If it's a 3 shot hole for someone driver that may go wayward isn't the smart play so,keeping the ball in front of the golfer is key. Play to a number on first two shots to,get you go,the comfortable approach shot. Something I consider on everyone shot whether it's par 4 or 5. Not to,mention the best in the world don't hit driver on every hole.
I like to think of holes in three colors when it comes to driving. In my mind I find the safe area I have off the tee and think of that as green. Yellow is the area that isn't optimal but not a big deal. It is possible that part of the fairway would still be a yellow area while rough might be a green area. Last I think of hazards as red or just total disaster areas. If there is no red on the hole then it is 100% driver off the tee. If there is then it depends on your typical miss and the ratio of bogeys I expect to birdies.

Yeah it is a total assumption on my part. Would need to see his shot dispersion chart and an overview of the hole to say for sure. It also depends if you are playing to a certain score, which is what the thread is about, compared to trying to shoot the lowest score you can.

Certain score? People that hit less than driver on par 5s are typically playing to their strengths. By doing so they are taking big numbers out of the equation. They are trying to get the ball in the hole in as few strikes as possible.

Trying to Break 80 Club

I haven't broke 80 in a while, tho I've only been playing the front of my course, which is 37 par. Makes it more difficult. Yesterday I carded a 77, in league play, no less.

27 putts with two 3 putts, wow.

I had a couple par 5's today that driver was no needed. I'm so close to pulling driver from the bag and going with FW

Back