Trying to Break 80 Club

43/46-89 yesterday. Given the circumstances I was quite pleased with the score:

—We play in a once-a-month traveling league and usually play around 6000-6100y tees. Commish chose the blues for this month’s course which are 6400… too long for me.

—It was 102 degrees out and super dry, which is not typical here in STL, although I loved it since I grew up in an arid climate and hate the humidity. Still, the round was an exercise in energy conservation: walk up slowly, no practice swings, walk back to the cart or shade immediately, haha.

I got worn out around the 14th hole and was leaking oil by 17, but pulled together a par on 18 for the 89.

Too many doubles, and one triple. Turn those all into bogeys and I’d be knocking on the Breaking 80 door.

43EBAC3E-4B31-462F-A22C-908595F0C76D.jpeg

Played 4 rounds this week. 73, 85, 81, 76. The 73 was on a par 70 course, the others par 72.

Appears that when I break 80 my driver and putter are doing well. The approach shots don't appear to have to be perfect.

In both sub 80 rounds I made a lot of up and downs and one sandie.

So i gotta get the tee shot in play and get the rock rolling more.

Alright alright alright; been striking it well and it’s time to put it together.

Teeing off at 5:00am tomorrow with the usual Sunday dawn patrol crew. Gonna commit to following the process on each shot and grinding for every stroke.

After an 88 on a long difficult course yesterday I can’t wait to get back on my 6,000y home course. The score will be what it is but I’m feelin’ good about hitting some golf shots tomorrow.

Alright alright alright; been striking it well and it’s time to put it together.

Teeing off at 5:00am tomorrow with the usual Sunday dawn patrol crew. Gonna commit to following the process on each shot and grinding for every stroke.

After an 88 on a long difficult course yesterday I can’t wait to get back on my 6,000y home course. The score will be what it is but I’m feelin’ good about hitting some golf shots tomorrow.
You can do it.

You can do it.

39/46-85. Fun round, although kind of an odd one

I wasn’t hitting it solid on the front but all my missed were good, haha.

Had a couple doubles and a dreaded “other” on the back, but kept grinding.

Had 6 putts stop within 6 inches of the hole. Finally made one on 17 for birdie.

8031032A-526F-4F00-A1A1-BDFAAF8B7ABC.jpeg

Attachments

• 99425F19-D1AE-466D-8789-A93F9F637103.jpeg
    99425F19-D1AE-466D-8789-A93F9F637103.jpeg
    35.5 KB · Views: 6
38/37=75. Short game got me there today.

40/37 to get it done at 77!
8 greens, only 3 fairways, though a few were just in the first cut. Got up and down 5 time, which always helps. One bird and one double. Probably the most pars I've had at 11.

Shot 79 today on a par 70 course playing less than 5,200 yards, but you know what, shut up I don’t care! 😁 Didn’t lose any balls after donating 2 sleeves to yesterday’s course. Hit every driver with a fade bordering a slice. So consistent that by the end of the round I was playing for that flight. Interesting development in my game.

Shot 79 today on a par 70 course playing less than 5,200 yards, but you know what, shut up I don’t care! 😁 Didn’t lose any balls after donating 2 sleeves to yesterday’s course. Hit every driver with a fade bordering a slice. So consistent that by the end of the round I was playing for that flight. Interesting development in my game.

1624233484535.gif

I'm not sure I belong in here but I really want to get there this year. Shot 89 today but there was definitely a lot of room for improvement in there. Had 4 penalties off the tee (two with my 4-iron) and had three different punches that didn't stay low enough and caught branches. Definitely reinforced to me that I need to fill the gap between my 4 iron and driver as that slot bit me hard today. Course was a 9 hole we played through twice and #6 was a 245 yard par 4. Both times I pulled 4 iron and faded to a penalty, when I knew the driver was too much and 4 iron wasn't enough anyway. Wish I'd just pulled 7 iron but I keep wrestling that 4 iron. I feel like it's in me to get there but I need to fill that gap and really hone in my on course decision making.

was close today...just had a couple of doubles and a triple that killed that chance...on holes that i normally play par/bogey :cautious:. it's not something i thought i was really chasing but i guess i am...

43/42-85 today on a new (to me) course. Hit it fairly well and was pleased to be under 90 on a new track.

Best part was connecting with @stevie-a - pleasure meeting you sir! That drive on 17 was hammered, my friend. Nicely done.

43/42-85 today on a new (to me) course. Hit it fairly well and was pleased to be under 90 on a new track.

Best part was connecting with @stevie-a - pleasure meeting you sir! That drive on 17 was hammered, my friend. Nicely done.
I think I finished 82 or 83 and its been awhile since I've played the East side of Bear Creek...so I wasn't much help for ya.

Greens got us a little bit. Enjoyed the company!!

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

I'm not sure I belong in here but I really want to get there this year. Shot 89 today but there was definitely a lot of room for improvement in there. Had 4 penalties off the tee (two with my 4-iron) and had three different punches that didn't stay low enough and caught branches. Definitely reinforced to me that I need to fill the gap between my 4 iron and driver as that slot bit me hard today. Course was a 9 hole we played through twice and #6 was a 245 yard par 4. Both times I pulled 4 iron and faded to a penalty, when I knew the driver was too much and 4 iron wasn't enough anyway. Wish I'd just pulled 7 iron but I keep wrestling that 4 iron. I feel like it's in me to get there but I need to fill that gap and really hone in my on course decision making.
Of course you belong here. Also, it sounds like you need a fairway wood to fill the gap. There are all sorts of options out there. My personal favorites are the Taylormade M2 fairways and the Callaway Mavrick fairways. Look on some of the preowned sites and you'll see many different lofts from 13* strong 3 woods to 21* seven woods and everything in between for very reasonable prices.

38/39 on Saturday... unfortunately had a couple totally unforced doubles but the 4 birdies helped... it's been about 18 months since I broke 80 on a longer/tougher course. Trying not to think about being 2 over after 14 😂

Finally got back under the line today, it's been a few weeks since I've seen that '7' at the front of my score. 39/37 for a 76 on my home track. Thank goodness for a solid short game and a putter that was on fire today, because I was scrambling like crazy.

For the first time in almost a year I finally managed to break 80 with a 77.
I have really been struggling but today I parked the woods and decided to just play irons and try to focus on every shot.
3 over both sides with a double on both sides. Both doubles caused by doubt on the tee.
Goes to show what's possible with some actual focus.

Sent from my VOG-L09 using Tapatalk

EABD87EB-2AC6-41C1-8575-539EA9170B51.jpeg

I came so close today. I'm on vacation in Florida and shot 80 today on a 6150 yard course playing my new Hogan Edge Ex irons for the second time. The greens were not very good and I just couldn't make anything. I'm playing a different course on Tuesday and hoping to score better.

+15 and didn’t sniff 70’s today, but I was encouraged by how quickly I adjusted to the course conditions. Greens were crazy firm and I really had to adapt to get the proper roll out. Just didn’t have the game to go low today.

Back