Trying To Break 90 Club

I like this thread, but it is a goal that is FAR away from me LOL Even though I have scored several games in the 90s and one in the 80s, I am still trying to constantly break 100 to where I don't even look at it. I admire the guys that are in this scoring range.

I like this thread, but it is a goal that is FAR away from me LOL Even though I have scored several games in the 90s and one in the 80s, I am still trying to constantly break 100 to where I don't even look at it. I admire the guys that are in this scoring range.

My goal is to constantly break 100, most times that’s achieved. However, there are times when nothing works and breaking 100 doesn’t come to fruition. My rounds so far this year have been 95, 92, 101, 98, 94. Most times it’s putting that’s the real killer to achieving the goal of breaking 90. Leaving to many strokes out there on the greens. Plus, there’s always 1 hole that I usually have a catastrophe on. I know I’ll get there...eventually. 10 months ago I was constantly shooting in the high 100’s to low 100teens.

I think I belong in this thread. I’m usually breaking 100 and closer to the mid and low90’s. This week I had a 95, a 94 and an 89. That’s the 4 th time breaking 90. Three of those being 89 and one 87.

It’s a beautiful day, sunny temps in the mid 50s F.
Bro and I will tee up about 1:00. Over the last couple months it seems one of us breaks 90 the other usually falls somewhere in the 90s flirting with a 100. Last week it was bro’s turn, he shot a clean 85, his short game was on point, up and down like a Baus. I struggled on a couple holes and sent two balls Oscar Bravo.
We both have physical issues that flair up. Funny thing is when one of us is hurting it often results in a better round, probably because it forces us to slow down and play within our abilities. When I called bro this morning he said his hand was swollen and had no grip, today might be his day... again.

Maybe club up? Or is it down? The greens will or should be slow so roll out would be minimal I would presume, so instead of hitting a 7 go for a 6.

Sent from my SM-N970U1 using Tapatalk
Thanks, I have been trying, to no avail. I guess the real solution is to just be glad I can get out and play, and wait for the grass to grow before expecting better scores.

My goal is to constantly break 100, most times that’s achieved. However, there are times when nothing works and breaking 100 doesn’t come to fruition. My rounds so far this year have been 95, 92, 101, 98, 94. Most times it’s putting that’s the real killer to achieving the goal of breaking 90. Leaving to many strokes out there on the greens. Plus, there’s always 1 hole that I usually have a catastrophe on. I know I’ll get there...eventually. 10 months ago I was constantly shooting in the high 100’s to low 100teens.
First off you pic.....I am assuming that is San Ignacio? I can see elephant head in the pic, and your far enough away where it's not the Robson courses.

And those are great consistent rounds. My heel is the middle irons. When I hit my 8-6 irons consistently I will almost always break 90. I wish I could give you some tips on putting. I know for me I always have a mindset of two putting no matter where I am at on the green. On longer putts as long as there is no egregious left or rights I just aim straight for the hole and hope I have my speed right.

First off you pic.....I am assuming that is San Ignacio? I can see elephant head in the pic, and your far enough away where it's not the Robson courses.

And those are great consistent rounds. My heel is the middle irons. When I hit my 8-6 irons consistently I will almost always break 90. I wish I could give you some tips on putting. I know for me I always have a mindset of two putting no matter where I am at on the green. On longer putts as long as there is no egregious left or rights I just aim straight for the hole and hope I have my speed right.

Yes, you are correct about it being San Ignacio. Playing there tomorrow with @Wildcat4life @Roadrunner @dunkjez

Robson Courses? Are you talking about Quail Creek? I think that’s the only Robson community in the Green Valley area.

I have the same mindset - although it doesn’t always work out to dropping in the hole after 2 putts. I’ve been practicing and trying to get better at making a smoother and straighter stroke - from takeaway to impact and follow through.

Every round breaking 90 for me has come on days when I’m landing the ball close to the pin on my approach shots. That is until Friday. I made some putts on Friday and just avoided the blow up hole. I need to find my stroke on the Par 3’s again. I’ve been off on them and constantly getting 4’s. May need to hit off the ground instead of a tee.

Yes, you are correct about it being San Ignacio. Playing there tomorrow with @Wildcat4life @Roadrunner @dunkjez

Robson Courses? Are you talking about Quail Creek? I think that’s the only Robson community in the Green Valley area.

I have the same mindset - although it doesn’t always work out to dropping in the hole after 2 putts. I’ve been practicing and trying to get better at making a smoother and straighter stroke - from takeaway to impact and follow through.
Funny but not so funny story about that hole. That's hole 16 right, elevated tees, water on left, need to pretty much cross water to get to green.

Any way......have a good drive, sitting middle of fairway, decide to go for the green. Got this shot mentally in my head, gonna a make it! I square up and just rip this ball, problem is it's a worm burner, other problem is that hole has geese all over it, I hit one square in the head. The remainder of the round was over. That shook me up pretty bad.

Found a great video that answered a lot of the questions I had about why my shots are going where they are. Thought some of you may find some answers as well.

Bummer about the goose, been a time or two I was so tired of putting though a field of turds I thought about taking one out.
Turns out yesterday was my day, a bird, 8 pars, and a bunch of one putts gave me a PB 82. The brother’s short game was shining but he struggled down the fairway, shot a respectable 93.

Last edited:
Funny but not so funny story about that hole. That's hole 16 right, elevated tees, water on left, need to pretty much cross water to get to green.

Any way......have a good drive, sitting middle of fairway, decide to go for the green. Got this shot mentally in my head, gonna a make it! I square up and just rip this ball, problem is it's a worm burner, other problem is that hole has geese all over it, I hit one square in the head. The remainder of the round was over. That shook me up pretty bad.

You got everything correct, but it’s Hole 13.

I did the same thing years ago playing with my wife in Cali. Worm burner straight to the upper neck of a goose. The two-some we were paired up with couldn’t believe it and I think they were more shook up about it than I was.

Today’s round was absolutely horrible for me. Driver was left, low, and OB a lot. Irons off some of the Par 3’s were the same. I lost more balls today than I have in the last 5 rounds together. Putting, well let’s just say that went as bad as the driver and irons. Can’t recall the last time I had a 10 on a hole...told you it was a horrible round. Lol
There were some bright spots and decent shots, but nothing to write home about. I know I was at 55 on the turn, so you can tell just how my day was going and how I ended up. Nothing to do but get back out there and get better.

Today’s round was absolutely horrible for me. Driver was left, low, and OB a lot. Irons off some of the Par 3’s were the same. I lost more balls today than I have in the last 5 rounds together. Putting, well let’s just say that went as bad as the driver and irons. Can’t recall the last time I had a 10 on a hole...told you it was a horrible round. Lol
There were some bright spots and decent shots, but nothing to write home about. I know I was at 55 on the turn, so you can tell just how my day was going and how I ended up. Nothing to do but get back out there and get better.
You’ll get it back. The video explains why shots go certain paths. I found out I’d been lining the club face up in a slightly closed position so I tend to hit my irons left.

I hate those days and sometimes you simply feel like you should just go home or crawl in a hole somewhere. I try to at least focus on the enjoyment of being there, but it is difficult for me when I have thsoe "suck" days on the course because at the end of the day you know it was bad.

I shot once in the 80s, then I got cocky and tried really hard to break 80 and all my scores after that shot back up to over 100. I stayed there for a while, and it made me re-evaluate all aspects of my game. For the past few months I've been able to keep the score mostly in the low 90s, with an occasional round over 95. I hope I'll be able to shoot consistently in the 80s soon.

My current focus areas are: 1) Swing within myself, but aggressively; 2) Keep the ball in play and shoot toward safety; 3) Practice my short game like a mad man; and 4) Always get out of a bunker on the first try.

I hate those days and sometimes you simply feel like you should just go home or crawl in a hole somewhere. I try to at least focus on the enjoyment of being there, but it is difficult for me when I have thsoe "suck" days on the course because at the end of the day you know it was bad.
I find these types of days to be good for working on my game on the course. I will quit keeping score and work on making the shot I want. Maybe 40 yard chip shots or choosing clubs to layup to areas I need to get better at.

I find these types of days to be good for working on my game on the course. I will quit keeping score and work on making the shot I want. Maybe 40 yard chip shots or choosing clubs to layup to areas I need to get better at.
Good advice and thanks for sharing that.

That is definitely good to keep in my "toolkit" of things to do when I have a really bad day which I am praying will stay away from me. Thank goodness I have only had one day last year that NOTHING would work for me. It was as if my body and brain totally evacuated the premises and a dark cloud was following me around.

Seriously, I stepped up to one tee box and hit a drive and it went left about 75 degrees or more left up onto a hill completely out of site. Something I never did back then. If I hit OOB it would have always been to the right side and never to the left. I simply could not hit off tee boxes and my irons had fallen apart, chipping was mostly gone, and so on.

I simply lost all sync and tempo that day and it was as if it was my first ever game. I am glad that is history, yet I don't know what I learned about the cause of it. I am trying to blame it on age and gravity. I can get away with that at 65 yrs old. :ROFLMAO:

Good advice and thanks for sharing that.

That is definitely good to keep in my "toolkit" of things to do when I have a really bad day which I am praying will stay away from me. Thank goodness I have only had one day last year that NOTHING would work for me. It was as if my body and brain totally evacuated the premises and a dark cloud was following me around.

Seriously, I stepped up to one tee box and hit a drive and it went left about 75 degrees or more left up onto a hill completely out of site. Something I never did back then. If I hit OOB it would have always been to the right side and never to the left. I simply could not hit off tee boxes and my irons had fallen apart, chipping was mostly gone, and so on.

I simply lost all sync and tempo that day and it was as if it was my first ever game. I am glad that is history, yet I don't know what I learned about the cause of it. I am trying to blame it on age and gravity. I can get away with that at 65 yrs old. :ROFLMAO:
I think is was about a month ago, maybe less. I was just having one of those days. I decided to not keep score, just work on making good contact. 2 holes later I was striking the ball well again. I don’t know really what was wrong, well actually I do. Everything! Like you mentioned, out of sync.

It’s game day for me. Gonna try a little something different as far as pre round routine goes. Gonna spend a little time with the foam roller on my back followed by a bit of stretching. Curious to see if I can clean up those first 3 or 4 holes that seem to plague me lately. Then on the course I’m going to think a little more about what I’m hitting to and risk vs reward.

It’s game day for me. Gonna try a little something different as far as pre round routine goes. Gonna spend a little time with the foam roller on my back followed by a bit of stretching. Curious to see if I can clean up those first 3 or 4 holes that seem to plague me lately. Then on the course I’m going to think a little more about what I’m hitting to and risk vs reward.
I know you will update us on how it goes (y)

Not my best day. 52 and 48 for a nice fat 100. I struggled all day but not in my typical fashion. Warmer temps and beautiful course conditions. Unfortunately I was a club long all day. High light of the day was my first ever 305 yard drive, followed by a 290 on the next hole. I’m usually around 270. This is all good on drives off the tee. Not so much on approach shots sailing over greens. I did make some great shots but it was just one of those days over all.

Back