UK Summer Cup 2015

El Bandito

Reaction score
Handicap
13 ish
The Hackers Paradise UK Summer Cup 2015

*Please note that this event is NOT a THP organised event - rather a get together between people, whom have been brought together by THP.
Should anyone from the US of A wish to make the trip - I daresay we might be able to help you put together an itinerary that includes the Summer Cup...
Wanna play golf in Scotland with a Scotsman? We can do that.

Ladies and Gentlemen, Boys and Girls and any who might be unsure:
This year the Cup will be fought for on the banks of the river Tyne. (That’s Newcastle for dopey Southerners) In line with tradition, there will be some laughing, some drinking and maybe even a little golfing - and after two days of competition a winner will emerge, be crowned and have bragging rights until the next Cup.
We have been able to get a spectacularly good deal. The Day 1 course is brilliant, the Day 2 one is absolutely out of the top drawer.

About the Venue
The Lee Westwood Filly Course

This 18 hole course is situated in the grounds of the Close House Estate, providing stunning views of the River Tyne Valley. The Parkland Layout was re-designed and re-opened in 2007. It now has 18 USGA specification greens, is 6000yds in length and a par 70 from the medal tees. The undulating greens provide a real test for your putting skills, but accuracy off the tee is paramount for good scoring. Having already held PGA professional events the course has proved challenging to golfers of all abilities.
The Championship Lee Westwood Colt Course

Opened by Lee Westwood in May 2011, the design of The Lee Westwood Colt tips its hat to the great English golf architect Harry Colt (who designed Wentworth, St Georges Hill, Sunningdale and Swinley Forest among others) While nothing is copied directly, the rectangular tees, the bunker forms, and the variety in Par threes are all features conceived from the distilled themes of this most brilliant architect.
The land on which you play is unique in many ways. Close to Newcastle, this Northumberland valley on the banks of the River Tyne is a property blessed with thousands of years of history. While Close House itself may date back only 250 years, prior to this the Roman Army roamed this land. In fact, the world famous ‘Hadrians Wall’ almost abuts the course itself. Don’t let that put you off, though. This golf course aims to produce the most exciting range of thrills for every level of golfer, and it requires your utmost attention.

Lee Westwood commented, “I think Close House is a perfect members course that has the capability of staging a major tournament in years to come. For a brand new course it is in great condition. The greens are of a very high quality and I am looking forward to going back and playing it again”
The Colt course is already recognised as one of the Top 100 in the UK. You can find out more about the venue at www.closehouse.com
We will be playing the Filly Course on Sunday the 5th of July, with the first group teeing off at 13:30.
Dinner will either be taken on site - or we can mosey into town for a curry.
Accommodation is at the venue.
Breakfast is included in the price.
The Colt course will be taken on from 0920 on Monday the 6th.

Getting there
The course is 15 minutes from Newcastle airport. Those from mainland Europe and Scandinavia may well find that flying is the best option unless you have a hankering for boats. Even those from the South might want to think about a little domestic flight. I guess that the hotel will merrily organise airport pick ups if we need them…but this can be resolved later.

About the Cost
The two rounds of golf, bed (in twin rooms) and breakfast will be £140 per person (including club cleaning, shoe cleaning, trophy fund. Any change will be thrown into the prize pot ). If you are local - and don’t want to stay in the hotel - then you can sleep in your own bed, make your own breakfast and get a discount of £12.50 - yes a whole £12.50! I think that they would like us to stay.
Should you feel inclined to take a whole room for yourself, you will be asked to pay an additional £60. In the event that you would like to bring baggage, sorry, I mean a non-golfing roommate - then the charge for that person is £80.
Dinner on Sunday night and lunch on both days will be at your own discretion. Should you feel inclined to imbibe a beverage of any sort - this will also be at your own cost. Close Manor charges £3.85 for a pint of Fosters or Best. This is, by Southern standards, not bad - however, I suspect our resident Geordies may have passed out at the thought of such extravagance. I don’t know. I daresay folk from the frozen North can chip in with thoughts on Sunday night plans.

About the Format
The Cup is awarded to the individual with the best stableford score, off full handicap combined over the 2 rounds. Within that format, we will throw in Longest Drive, Nearest the Pin, Yellow Ball Team competition - and I think an additional team competition (but I’m thinking about that one).
You are golfers. Therefore if you say that your handicap is 24, then your handicap is 24. That’s good enough for me.
This event is about having a great couple of days, all standards are welcomed - a sense of humour is essential.

Payments
£40 will reserve your spot - the sooner the better. We have 16 spots held at the moment, and the hotel will start nudging me quite quickly. A lot of weekends are already fully booked.
I know that this is a way off - but unless we get a decent body of early commitments, then we run the risk of losing the booking and/or the price - so some nice firm “Yes I’m in” posts please and less of the “Oh, I might have to do my hair that night” posts. Please chase up your buddies and get them on the thread. Wouldn’t it be great to get 5 four balls out?
We have 4 four balls reserved at this moment. I MAY be able to adjust that.
The balance will be required May 15th
Please DO NOT pay me by Paypal. I need to do some admin around paypal accounts - and my old email addresses are no longer valid.
I will reserve Posts 2 and 3 on this thread for admin details and a rolling list of attendees and payments.

1. El Bandito - Confirmed. £140 Paid
2. The Dane / Carlsberg Boy - Confirmed.
3. The Doctor - Confirmed. £140 Paid
4. Mizuno Blue - Confirmed. £40 Deposit Paid
The Swedette - Withdrawn. Spooky coincidence with Tiger Woods...injury eh? £140 Paid
5. Will_I_Dream - Confirmed. £140 Paid
6. Geo375 - Confirmed £140 Paid
7. Almdudler - Confirmed £140 Paid
8. Chas - Confirmed £40 Deposit Paid
9. Crag Rat - Confirmed £140 Deposit Paid
10. Strawboater - Confirmed £60 Deposit Paid
11. David L - Confirmed £140 Paid
12. Sam deathmetal Guest - Confirmed £140 Paid
Tiger Woods - Pulled out
13. Damoegan - Confirmed £140 Deposit Paid
14. 'Baileys' Newton - Confirmed £40 Deposit Paid
15. 'Ice' Newton - Confirmed £40 Deposit Paid
16. Preston Preston, so good they named him twice - Confirmed - £140 Deposit paid
17. Dirk St Moritz - Confirmed. £40 Deposit paid
18. Torben Pedersen - Confirmed

Last edited:
Boys and girls.

With Tiger pulling out....we have 14 so far - which I like to think can be boosted - Canny Carl, Preston Preston, The Newtons, Dirko and the Bullocks are all currently AWOL. I will begin fining them soon.

By all means whizz a Paypal (gift) to my email stuart at stuartlennon dot com - or send an email to the same address and I can give you bank details for a direct transfer. I will be looking for £140 in total - possibly more once we have a think about a shirt. The hotel is looking for a deposit of £40 a head. So - pay me something between £40 and £140 for the time-being.

Last edited:
El B,
The UK Cup threads are always fun to follow. I see in the other thread that the guys are already limbering up their excuses (bad backs, new clubs, lowered handicaps) so all is well in the world.

Sounds like a crazy deal. I wish I could get across the pond for this. Have a blast!

El B,
The UK Cup threads are always fun to follow. I see in the other thread that the guys are already limbering up their excuses (bad backs, new clubs, lowered handicaps) so all is well in the world.

As ever!

Duffer - did we send you the last t shirt?

Stu, as ever I am 99.999999% certain that will be fine with me but I will confirm for definite tomorrow once I sort the day off with work - think I still have your bank details from the last event so will let you know when the money is on the way

I will let Preston know and either get him to post here himself or I will post for him

If any non-playing partners come along, there is always the Metrocentre shopping centre to keep them occupied, assuming they are allowed your credit cards...

Stu, as ever I am 99.999999% certain that will be fine with me but I will confirm for definite tomorrow once I sort the day off with work - think I still have your bank details from the last event so will let you know when the money is on the way

I will let Preston know and either get him to post here himself or I will post for him

If any non-playing partners come along, there is always the Metrocentre shopping centre to keep them occupied, assuming they are allowed your credit cards...

My missus has cried off. I'm going to bring Anastasia, my mistress.

Tell 'Preston Preston so good they named him twice' that I will come and live with him unless he signs up. Top lad, and I am guessing a much improved player since the last cup? That guy has talent.

Doc, I think the Dane and I might look for a warmup on Saturday..but we can touch on that later.

I'll put you on the confirmed list, can take you off if work kick off.

Well he won his division in the Club Championship so make of that what you will...

If you want a round on the Saturday somewhere just let me know, I am sure we could sort something out :D

As it will probably only be the Monday I need off it shouldn't be an issue, but if you want another round on the Tuesday I can look at getting a couple days off? Up to you guys what you want to do

100% in, well done Stu :thumb:

I'll check the dates as soon as i can with work.
Then if all good, I'm playing off 24 thanks.

Last edited:
Awesome deal El B

Put me down as a definite yes, I will worry about telling Mrs G tomorrow

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ah the quality has arrived.

Good bet this one Duffer...unless he leads at the end of Day 1....
Yes, that first day lead seems to be trouble for many......

Yeah you get nobbled :drinks:

The plan is to position myself quietly in the background but just sitting close enough ready to pounce on day 2, but don't tell anyone :dohanim:

Sign me up on the fun stuff! ?

I know all about this rather well.

Day 1 lead = bottle of Jäger!!

Getting really excited right now from this thread! I checked flights already and there are a lot of transfers to get to New Castle airport for me.. So I'm looking in to arrive in Edinburgh on thursday evening and play golf down to the event with a rental car or something like that.

So if anyone finds a similar route they are welcome to join me! :)

count me in to, booked Monday off work, so how do i pay the deposit?

Checked with work this morning, all good here Stu, so I am definitely confirmed, so if you can drop me a PM with your bank details (think I still have them but just want to check nothing has changed) I will get my deposit sorted for you :D

I'll check the dates as soon as i can with work.
Then if all good, I'm playing off 24 thanks.

Hope you can make it, at least it isn't as far to drive as Wales was, and if you are off 24, I am off 28 hahaha

Awesome deal El B

Put me down as a definite yes, I will worry about telling Mrs G tomorrow

Will be good to catch up Si, hopefully we can get a round in whilst there as we haven't managed it yet

Sign me up on the fun stuff! 

Nice one Linus, will the Swedette be heading over for more shoe shopping as well?

count me in to, booked Monday off work, so how do i pay the deposit?

No doubt El B will be along to explain, but I expect he will want his off-shore account topping up..... :alien:

El B,

Duffer, you would have an absolute blast if you were able to make it - maybe one day

Looking forward to it Doc, would be great if we finally get to play a round as well

As it happens in off the booze too

I'm in, subject yo approval but TS is one you do not want to miss! I will see if I can get David to cone as well, it's not far and I've already raved to him about the venue. I might even see if there's anyway I can get my lad along, although he'd probably win it so on second thought perhaps not!

Will let let you know Asap, well done Stu!!

Back