UK Summer Cup 2015

attachment.php

View from the 19th Hole's deck on Monday morning, down and across the valley, across the Filly course

View up the 10th from where my tee shot finished

attachment.php

View back down to the tee

attachment.php

Ok, just a few pictures for now but there will be a link to more later

The group ahead of us teeing off on the Colt par 3 4th hole

Martin

20150706_102346_zpssaah3txl.jpg

Linus

20150706_102424_zpslhhod0cq.jpg

Tom

20150706_102454_zpsrjk9ybzd.jpg

I don't know if anyone took a picture of the 423 yard par 4 12th on the Colt course, but it was a great looking tee shot down the hill

20150706_124935_zpseesktdfe.jpg

I then decided I would walk back even further up the hill to take a picture from the blue tees. Sam is standing where I took the previous picture from.....let's just say it made for a slightly more intimidating tee shot from back there :bulgy-eyes:

20150706_125008_zps5sko8sfq.jpg

Unfortunately for me, I hit a rare draw which put me into the thick stuff (and lost ball) on the left hand side, so I hit a provisional and this ball just didn't stop.....it cleared the large bunkers and finished down the left side of the fairway and I was left with around a 60yd approach with my 58 degree wedge which I put to about 6 feet but I just missed the putt for a bogey

Thanks for the sneaky action-shot! :)
That 12th hole was cool! I think the fairway must have been as wide as the hole was long! ;) Your second got a great roll, saw it from the green.. Nice save! :)

I was looking over my scorecard again, I didn't play the par 3's well at all, bogeyed three out of four, par'd the 12th
Doc if you ever get the urge to play the Colt course again and need someone to make up a fourball, give me a shout. I'll be hiring a buggy for the visit though ha ha

I would happily play both of those courses again, it is just a shame they are so expensive otherwise I would play them more

Sounds like it was an absolute blast! Too bad this was during my holiday... Maybe next year!

Good morning. PM me for a link to the photos I have taken..

Just received an email from Scottsdale golf to win a nights accommodation and 2 rounds of golf for 2 people at guess where .... Close House! Enter away and good luck!

Also says it's worth £500 and we got it for £280 so well done to Stu again for a cracking deal!!

Oh and it's a photo comp for best dressed so Sam, Martin & Linus get snapping :)

Oh and Nev

Ok, fingers crossed the following link will work - it should be a link to my Facebook album with the pictures....

CLICKY

For this year, there was no early hours of the morning start required as Close House is relatively close to where I live, so my day began around 8am when I loaded my things into the car

Jen left the house for her day out just before 8.30am and I left shortly after to head across town to pick up Preston and we then headed north stopping off for a McDonalds breakfast on the way before arriving at Close House just after 10am, following Damo and Linus into the car park and finding Strawboater there as well. Walking down to the club house and, like will_i_dream mentioned, it was a case of spot the car that wasn't a Range Rover....apart from the nice red Ferrari California with a personalised plate on

People started to arrive and the conversations moved from catching up with people to how mad was the slope on the practice green that the decking overlooked!?!?!? You will see the picture in my album showing the 'slightly' 2-tiered green and I have a little confession from Preston regarding this green and what he managed to do on Monday morning before we headed out - this green was quick enough that he was practising before the round and managed to lose a ball.....in the pond next to the green because the ball wouldn't stop and rolled right off the edge! You can't see on my picture, but I think Strawboater posted one from the decking where you can see the water next to the green

As we had travelled up in jeans, myself and Preston headed off to the car to grab our clothes for the round and headed to the locker rooms to get changed, went back to the car to get our clubs and then headed back down to the other practice green next to the first tee on the Filly course. It was at this point that we were told about Lee Westwood making an appearance in the club house so unfortunately I didn't see him

Whilst everyone was practicing on the putting green, the teams were drawn for the first day and I ended up in a 3-ball with both El Bandito and GEO - now due to El B travelling up on the Saturday and staying at Close House, he was slightly....how can I put this.....delicate, due to the consumption of a few drinks the night before :D

It had been decided that due to the length of the course (5,640 yards from the yellow tees) we would play from the white tees at a length of 6,034 yards, which is shorter than my home course, but a very nice challenge without being too difficult

Despite being considered the lesser of the courses, the Filly course had a nice mix of holes, although my only criticism would be that playing from the white tees, the par 3 holes ranged from 159-166 yards. The one thing that did become apparent during the course of the round was that if you ended up in the wrong spot on the green you could have some serious undulations to contend with and unfortunately I forgot to bring my putting game for day 1 with quite a few 3-putts after being in the wrong part of the green

As I was supposedly up against the strongest players from the Southern team I wanted to get off to a good start, so I hit a lovely 5W off the tee down the left centre of the fairway, followed by an 8i into the green which I pushed slightly to the right half of the green - this got me started with my luck for the day, ending up in the wrong place on the green and a 3-putt left me walking off with a bogey, nett par for 2 points

The second hole was a bit of a mess with a double bogey but the long par 4 third almost yielded me with a chip-in birdie and I still can't figure out how the ball managed to sit on the lip of the hole without dropping in!?!?!?!

The front nine continued pretty solidly, scoring points on every hole to finish with 17 points for the front 9 and the back 9 followed that trend, and despite a double bogey on the 454 yard par 4 16th, I bounced back with 2 pars on the last 2 holes to finish the back 9 with 19 points, a round of 36 points and 43/41=84 for a nett level par round of golf

Whilst waiting for our food later, once the scores were added up, this left me in joint second place with Sam on 36 points, with Rob being 1 point in front with 37 meaning the three of us would be the final group out on day 2

The North vs South team battle was very close with the scores being North = 4.5, South 4 points so it was all still to play for on day 2

As usual, El B then presided over the 'Kangaroo Court' fining people with shots of tequila for anything and everything that he could think of......the person leading after day 1, the person who lost the most golf balls, anyone who managed a birdie, and so on

Following the food, in my case a nice piece of steak and chips with a peppercorn sauce, there was plenty of talk about the day until people headed off to their rooms to try and get a good nights sleep ready for the final day

Day 2 to follow

I stood and watched Preston putt off the green and into the water

I stood and watched Preston putt off the green and into the water

I hope he tried to play it out with a 9 iron? Something I had to do with my 2nd shot on the 1st hole on the Colt course!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Delicate? Moi? Sudden bout of vertigo

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Day 2 at Close House was a round on the Colt course, which was recently the venue for a Senior Tour event so I was expecting a challenging day and I wasn't wrong

20150706_091041_zpsdqhwgqsb.jpg

A nice English breakfast was consumed and then it was time to check out of the rooms and get ready for the first tee shot. As I was only 1 shot off the lead following the first round I was playing in the final group with Sam and our eventual winner Rob

The first tee shot of the day was a tough one, with anything left being thrown down a slope into some nasty looking rough and anything right in danger of being up against a wall but fortunately I managed to find the fairway, but once again my putting let me down and I walked off with a bogey

The second hole then started to set the tone for the day, only 355 yards but playing uphill all the way and the start of one of the many elevation changes for the round and pulling my clubs around the course is, I suspect, the reason for my back issues as the day went on when I started to struggle

A good proportion of the round was spent traversing the hillside which meant that if the wind was in the wrong direction, or you didn't hit the right side of the fairway, you could find your ball being thrown into some deep rough (which lost me a few balls during the round) that was not easy to escape from

From the top of the course you had some amazing views across the Tyne valley and with the weather we had for the weekend it was very nice standing looking out across the venue below

View from the 13th tee (posted previously but I mistakenly said it was the 12th)

20150706_124935_zpseesktdfe.jpg

The one thing I found quite nice was by the 9th tee there was a board with a menu and an English telephone box which connected you to the academy (by the 10th tee) so that you could order any food before tackling the back 9 of the course. I settled for a ham sandwich but apparently the sausage rolls were pretty special

The back 9 started with a relatively short, in terms of yardage, par 5 at only 471 yards from the tees we were playing, but it played uphill all the way and was certainly not an easy green to reach in 2. Unfortunately, this hole, followed by the 11th which climbed even higher, is where the start of my problems with my back began - now I know when I am having issues with my back as I start to hit draws and the occasional hook with my woods which I never do when I am fit

This first reared its head when I hit a draw off the 13th tee to then watch my ball land in the really thick rough off to the left of the fairway and was subsequently not found, so I hit a provisional ball that just sailed out there, over the left side of the bunker in the middle of the fairway leaving me with only about 60 yards to the green. Sadly I missed the putt to save bogey, walked off with a double and it all went downhill from there (in more ways than one) finishing off the last 6 holes with double, double, double, double, triple, double

It was a sad way to finish the round but it is definitely a venue and course that I would love to play again someday

I don't know what the final scores were, but I scored a total of 63 points across the 2 days and had a great time catching up with old friends and meeting new faces who I hope will return next year

It has been said before, but I will say it again - a big thanks to Stu for organising the event and I can't wait for the next one

This may not be 100% but I think the scores were

Rob 71 pts (2 very solid rounds)
Martin 66 (27 holes of superb hold, front 9 on the filly was sensational!)
Crag 64
Doc 63

I think you might have had a chance had your back not gone Doc, you were well placed with 9 to go!

Back