Under-hyped and Over-hyped: Your List

Jman

Here for the Conversation
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Handicap
SOFTCAPPED
I refuse to say best and worst, because everything fits someone, and NO ONE is making bad equipment. But, what would be your most under, and over, hyped club(s) of the year for YOU…but most importantly, WHY?

Over hyped: G425 drivers. I thought they would be amazing and the sound and performance were totally underwhelming FOR ME.

Under hyped is undoubtedly the RADSPEED FW's. These things are super playable for real golfers like myself. Yes some scratch handicap golfer with 130MPH swing speed might hit other FW's 2 yards further on 10 shots, but for the average golfer the launch and spin characteristics just make for a very playable golf club from long range.

Over hyped is a tough one. I am going to say ultra low spin equipment. It just doesn't work for most and it causes more problems than it solves for most golfers.

Last edited:
Underhyped: Callaway Apex Pro hybrids. Don’t go left without a terrible pass at it. Feel great, look nice behind the ball and they go.

• Staff
Under: Radspeed Big Tour 3w, this isn’t fair in terms of speed and profile:

Over: SIM2 driver. There’s no difference.

Over-hyped: Sim 2 driver and woods.

Under-hyped: Iron headcovers.......(i kid) :devilish:

i’ve thought a lot about this and i’m having a hard time coming up with an answer. overhyped might be the g425 only because i don’t feel like it did anything to improve over the 410 (which i don’t think did anything to improve over 400).

underhyped? again, nothing comes immediately to mind. maybe the mizuno stz fairways. good strikes are giving pretty big distance for me, and bad strikes are still very playable.

• Staff
Under: Halo Hy-Wood - SUCH a complete golf club that would be a game changer for many.

Over: PING 425 Crossover - it performs, but it sounds/feels like it’s broken with each shot.

Overhyped: Agree the Ping 425 Drivers. I demoed both the Max and SFT. On the course. For 2 weeks each. I like my 400 Max better than both.
Underhyped: Clevelands Launcher XL Halo Fairway Woods. I did not go into my local Edwin Watts looking to buy these but I hit them since they had just came in. Love the flight and distance. That simulator demo transfered right to the course. Cleveland is making a push this year. Good for them. I’ll tack the entire 2021 Cleveland Halo XL lineup on with them.

I have no list since I don't pay attention to hype assiciated with stuff. ( I read this some where)....lol
The point of the thread was on a personal level though, so it’s more what YOU hyped in your head, then your experiences. It’s always fun to see how people see things!

Personally. Most over hyped

Callaway epic speed line. I just didn’t care for it.

under-hyped

this is hard for me.. Probably cobra MIM tour irons. They are way better than the sound they get.

Over: G425 irons. A bit more muted than my old G400 irons but numbers pretty similar. No difference in feel and misses were just as forgiving. It did look a good bit nicer though.

Under: Premium balls in general. Srixon Q-Star Tours specifically. My swing speed is up there for an am but pretty low for the internet and it feels soft but not squishy. It’s predictable around the greens. It’s probably all I need at my talent level, but I think most non-tour level balls are seriously under hyped and marketed poorly.

Personally. Most over hyped

Callaway epic speed line. I just didn’t care for it.

i went back and forth on this re epic max vs mavrik max. epic max improved sound a shape for me, and the sliding weight is helping take the left bias i couldn’t ever shake with mav max. but it still came to mind as possibly overhyped.

Over-Hyped: Ping i59 irons. They preform and put up good numbers. I didn't care for the feel at all (don't like hollow body) and they cost way to much compared to the competition

Under-Hyped: Cobra King Tour MiM They do everything as well as any other iron

Over-hyped: Vokey SM8 wedges Hear me out before you disregard... They are excellent. They are played on tour and have a large scale of contracted golfers they pay to use them.

Under-hyped: Cleveland CBX2 They do everything the fancy wedges do and probably do it better for the average golfer.

Under-hyped: Cobra Radspeed fairways, especially the Big Tour and Tour 5 wood

Over-hyped: Titleist products.

I haven’t had any equipment ups/downs, so I will say, for me:
Over: CSX golf balls … meh
Under: Pro V1 (always preferred 1x but really impressed with the new V1 version) and, gasp, like it in yellow.

Over-Hyped: Ping i59 irons. They preform and put up good numbers. I didn't care for the feel at all (don't like hollow body) and they cost way to much compared to the competition

Under-Hyped: Cobra King Tour MiM They do everything as well as any other iron

Over-hyped: Vokey SM8 wedges Hear me out before you disregard... They are excellent. They are played on tour and have a large scale of contracted golfers they pay to use them.

Under-hyped: Cleveland CBX2 They do everything the fancy wedges do and probably do it better for the average golfer.

Under-hyped: Cobra Radspeed fairways, especially the Big Tour and Tour 5 wood
The i59 aren’t hollow though? The cost is insane though, we had a big talk on that at HQ last week, I’m with you that they’re good…but what separates them?

And I’m FOREVER with you on the CBX2 train!

Underhyped - The C721 Driver.....I would have never tried it had i not been lucky enough to be a part of TEEm Tour Edge. It is a beast

Over hyped - really do not have

Underhyped - Cobra in general. Not a whole lot out there on really great performing line across the board this year.

overhyped - TItleist (not in a performance way) noticed it this year after researching other companies that have been out a while and you still do not get much. The new T-series reviews are everywhere! The marketing dept at full force (as it should be)

The i59 aren’t hollow though? The cost is insane though, we had a big talk on that at HQ last week, I’m with you that they’re good…but what separates them?

And I’m FOREVER with you on the CBX2 train!

They feel hollow... thats the point I was trying to make. I seen the stuff they put in them. I really thought they would be special, but to ME, they are just meh.... I'm going to make a super game improvement set for next season to change in and out and I will have CBX2 in all wedge spots.

overhyped - callaway

underhyped - mizuno

Under: Srixon Q-Star Tour Divide, Cleveland CBX2 wedges, Hogan EDGE EX irons
Over: AutoFlex Shafts

Back