University of Miami basketball player to transfer if NIL demands not met

I would probably only get 99 cents for my NIL. :(

Well, I never saw this coming. Who could have foreseen this???

:LOL:

Most student athletes recieve exponentially more benefits than they make money for the school.
You mean to tell me that half a dozen people watching me dive wasn't a big earner for the university?

As a huge fan of college basketball, this makes me sick. It was obvious that this is where it was headed, but the lack of oversight makes it worse than the pros who at least have salary caps, luxury taxes, and other rules to help ensure a level of parity. I feel like I was one of the few that was against NIL before they instituted it - everyone knew what the deal is about being an amateur when they sign up for college basketball...if they'd rather get paid, go to the g-league or overseas. College basketball doesn't need the best players, they just need players willing to play for school pride and the added advantage of getting a degree without going into any debt. And 98% of college athletes do just that! I'd rather they just take the top 2% of players with NBA talent and create their own non-college league and leave college basketball alone. Instead, the top 2% are all going to go to the same 10 schools that have filthy rich boosters, killing college basketball for the rest of the schools.

I guess the big question is whether the demand for college basketball/football is for the players or the school. Personally, I'll always root for Purdue, whether college basketball includes the best 18-22 year olds or not. But I'd like Purdue to have at least a decent chance at competing for recruits without Drew Brees coming in and bleeding his pockets dry just so his alma mater can be competitive.

As a huge fan of college basketball, this makes me sick. It was obvious that this is where it was headed, but the lack of oversight makes it worse than the pros who at least have salary caps, luxury taxes, and other rules to help ensure a level of parity. I feel like I was one of the few that was against NIL before they instituted it - everyone knew what the deal is about being an amateur when they sign up for college basketball...if they'd rather get paid, go to the g-league or overseas. College basketball doesn't need the best players, they just need players willing to play for school pride and the added advantage of getting a degree without going into any debt. And 98% of college athletes do just that! I'd rather they just take the top 2% of players with NBA talent and create their own non-college league and leave college basketball alone. Instead, the top 2% are all going to go to the same 10 schools that have filthy rich boosters, killing college basketball for the rest of the schools.

I guess the big question is whether the demand for college basketball/football is for the players or the school. Personally, I'll always root for Purdue, whether college basketball includes the best 18-22 year olds or not. But I'd like Purdue to have at least a decent chance at competing for recruits without Drew Brees coming in and bleeding his pockets dry just so his alma mater can be competitive.
Just make the players employees of the school. If they want to they can then take classes for free. Have them sigh consecutive 1-year contracts, with a limit of 4, and implement a wage scale that is the same for all the schools. Easy!

might as well just call these players "semi-pro" athletes because if the "student" part was in name only before all of this, it is all but gone now.

might as well just call these players "semi-pro" athletes because if the "student" part was in name only before all of this, it is all but gone now.
But what if they still go to class and get good grades?

Man, this NIL Stuff is getting trickier by the day... I have a feeling it is going to blow up before too long and then not sure exactly what happens.

I like it. combine the NIL with transfer portal and it adds just a little paritity to college sports. I don't have data to back this up but here goes.

1- football and basketball programs pay the costs of coaches and low revenue sports at the university like track, soccer, etc
2- they do it by benefiting from the basketball and footballl players they can attract.
3- schools with good sport programs appeal to students (like my college kids) so good sports are important in getting kids.

so it looks like a good system until you consider the view of the basketball players or football player who delivers revenue but don't get compensated unless they are the 2% who make a living.

This to me is a dillema- a problem for which no perfect answer exists.

Crazy how messy this got and how soon.

Is it just me or is this affecting college basketball more than any of the other sports? I'm just taking Wisconsin as an example and players are just leaving left and right from the basketball program. And sure there are football/volleyball athletes doing the same, but it doesn't seem as big as it is in basketball.

Maybe I'm wrong.

The era of the student athlete is over. I don't know what we have now, but it is a complete train wreck.

It's run its cycle and it's time for it to die. A "Student-Athlete" in D1 sports has been a joke well before NIL.

NIL is just another nail in the coffin of the broken system. The NCAA and college athletics as they existed prior to the 2021 decision allowing for NIL deals are never coming back. The NCAA and many of its member institutions are hoping for federal legislation in the are of NIL. In the 2021 decision the Supreme Court suggested that federal legislation would be needed for the NCAA to attempt to restrict things regarding NIL.

After that decision NIL is a matter for the NCAA member institutions to figure out and for state law.

What may be needed are congressional efforts to set nationwide compensation standards. Such legislation could also protect the NCAA from antitrust scrutiny for its actions in defining educational benefits. To this end, the NCAA has been pressing Congress to pass a law that offers the association some protection from antitrust lawsuits and sets national rules on players’ ability to profit off their publicity rights.

Until and unless Congress acts, this is the NIL system we have. Coupled with the transfer portal, it has given new life to what would be referred as to pay for play. That pay for play has always existed. Now it's just out in the open and players know where they can go to get paid to play.

Last edited:
I like it. combine the NIL with transfer portal and it adds just a little paritity to college sports. I don't have data to back this up but here goes.

1- football and basketball programs pay the costs of coaches and low revenue sports at the university like track, soccer, etc
2- they do it by benefiting from the basketball and footballl players they can attract.
3- schools with good sport programs appeal to students (like my college kids) so good sports are important in getting kids.

so it looks like a good system until you consider the view of the basketball players or football player who delivers revenue but don't get compensated unless they are the 2% who make a living.

This to me is a dillema- a problem for which no perfect answer exists.
I'd have less of an issue with it, if tax dollars weren't going to these same schools.
If millions and millions of dollars are in play, they shouldn't need the money of the people.

I’m a huge college basketball and football fan and couldn’t care less. If you think this wasn’t happening before you’re naive. Why is it any different than a coach leaving for more money or than you looking for another job after you were passed over for a promotion.
The amount of hate that these athletes are getting is silly to me. Either believe in the free market or don’t.

I'd have less of an issue with it, if tax dollars weren't going to these same schools.
If millions and millions of dollars are in play, they shouldn't need the money of the people.

I’ve worked in 2 high level athletic departments and can happily report that they used a combined $0 in tax dollars. Athletic departments are self funded by donors, ticket sales, media rights, etc.

I’ve worked in 2 high level athletic departments and can happily report that they used a combined $0 in tax dollars. Athletic departments are self funded by donors, ticket sales, media rights, etc.
I didnt say athletic departments though.
With all of the money being brought in by these major sports powerhouses, they should not be also taking tax dollars regardless of what they are for.

Back