I like the fact the basic downloads are free. If I hadn't bought another one this summer I'd likely have this product on my final list. However, to get the full functionality of the device, you'd want to have the advanced downloads. Of course, once you buy them, they are yours, which is great. The way I figure it, For what I paid for mine (and I got the first year free), which was far less than retail, I'll keep mine for three more years (and pay $30 a year for downloads) and then we'll see the newest model uPro has and replace mine then. By then it should be tweaked with enough that it should be much better than it is now.

The only real thing I have against it is that it is new, and doesn't have a company like Garmin behind it. "New" bothers me and always has. I like to wait a year or two and let the problems get found and corrected (much like windows; I never upgrade until they get to Service Pack 2).

If anyone thinks I am trying to slam this company, I am not in any way. I was simply trying to find the answer to a question that was asked. From what I have read (and now experienced), this is a very good company that won't go away any time soon and will continue to put out a good product.

But it is not something you can compare with other GPS devices cost per cost. Because the FREE Basic mode is exactly the same as people get with their "Garmin" and "Magellan" units. So no subscriptions at all. I did not find a single bug in the unit and I played 12 rounds with it before I sent it back.

I was using cost to compare because I like to upgrade every few years; maybe a way to justify keeping what I have and not buying a uPro for next year. (Although I still like mine!). But in three or four years I'll be looking at upgrading mine or going a different direction.

That search is really wonky. After typing in, Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada it gave me results for places like Indianapolis or Wyoming, or San Diego. Nowhere near what I was looking for.

wow. just tried it. very strange.

tried it for Vancouver,same results. unless New York state shifted a few thousand miles west, lol.

i still stand by my original assertion, that it has yet to reach it's potential. no use having the coolest hardware if there's not enough software.

If you say so Mike. Here in the states (where the product is marketed) they have almost every course in every major golf market. And I assure you that if this product had less than 500 courses but had all the ones that you play, you would not have the same issue.

Many consumers take great pride in the products they buy and want it to be the best forever. I have felt that way about my Skycaddie for 3 years now. Anyone living in a golf area that can take this device and compare it to the Skycaddie honestly is ridiculous. The things that this device can do are the same as the skycaddie in basic mode. For absolutely nothing. I hate paying $50 per year. I have to, but I hate it.

Please explain to me what potential it hasnt reached? It may not have reached all its markets, but that is not considered potential. And as for your statement about hardware vs software? It has the best hardware and software out there. This may sound like an ad, but its not. I get nothing from them. Heck I dont even have one. But I am one of the only ones on the board that has used both. So until people have tried a device, I have a hard time thinking they should knock it.

ok, if you say it has not reached all the markets but that is not considered potential, alrighty then. :confused2:

You have been condemning the device since the review came out based solely on the fact that it is not in your area. Thats fine. We get it. You dont like it. The product was and is being marketed the US first and will be marketed to Canada next. It is not really being sold in Canada as of this time other than a couple of places. Similar to when Skycaddie came out if you take a look at their history. But condemning a product that one has never tried or even picked up is not really fair is it?

i'll put it bluntly, i've never seen a review that didn't mention the "cons" as well as the "pros". there's ALWAYS lacking qualities to a new product, especially a high tech one like this.

and saying i'm condemning the product is wrong. earlier in this thread i said:
once the library is up to "par", it'll be #1 in my eyes too.

hardly a condemnation.

that's all i'm going to say about this.

When I find a con I mention it. With this device I found absolutely none. I did not find any cons with this device other than the fact that I couldnt keep it. But I will let you know when I figure one out. While I hope everyone enjoys our reviews and they are extremely honest. I am sorry if you feel as though we left out information.

As for the library. It is up to par. For the area it is being sold and marketed. When it is sold and marketed in other areas, that library will be full too.

Back