USGA and R&A - Distance Rollback Proposals

He is a loud voice saying that distance is a problem. Even though he was the longest player in his day, sold golf equipment designed for distance, and makes 8,000 yard golf courses.

He's no longer a valuable opinion for golf, especially in relation to the modern game.
Oh I agree with you 1000%

Also if they're concerned about lower scores, get rid of green books like at Augusta...only one score at -20 over the years there

I may have misread it, but I saw it as a local rule that tournament committees can use, which would mean I’m not going to be affected playing in my usual 4 ball. And they are still proposals. I’ll get angry when if it’s confirmed I have to change gear.

Support the timber industry, make them use Hickory Sticks!!

Man the USGA and the NCAA have a lot in common. I'm a fairly conservative guy. But both these organizations scream to me "old and privileged." So out of touch with anything modern in the game.

I know very little about club or ball tech and defer to those here that know more. But I for one, as a mid 30's average height and weight guy enjoy hitting the occasional 300 yard drive with my modern equipment. If they take that ability away from amateurs they sure aren't going to grow the game.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
This right here. Hitting the ball far is fun. Fun is why people come out to play.

“This is about the long term and making the game more sustainable, more enjoyable,” Davis said. “This isn’t about hurting golfers, this isn’t about necessarily lessening their distance. But the data is irrefutable. We have a problem and we’ve got to solve for it. I would almost go so far as to say that for those who don’t think that we have a problem, I would either say they haven’t read the data or they have some personal conflict of interest. When you look at this data, it’s so crystal clear that something needs to get done.”

So, outside of how arrogant this reads, is it even true? Davis has a massive hard on for tour based distance data. I challenged on social why they haven't partnered with Arccos or basically any shot tracking software out there to get a more realistic representation of distance in the game of golf, but I seriously doubt they care.

What IS true; PGA Players hit the ball an exceptionally long way.
What is NOT true: Golf as a whole has a distance problem.

If they want to make it harder and make the course seem longer for the pros - let them use their thumbs like you do in Marble games. no clubs for them.

"As stated in the Conclusions Paper, The R&A and USGA intend to review a full range of options including in the following two areas relative to equipment specifications:"

"Conclusion The research topics discussed in this notice are strictly areas of interest. No decisions have been made about possible solutions and no proposals are being made at this time. Any proposals for Rule changes that might result from this research will be communicated in accordance with the Equipment Rulemaking Procedures. We welcome your participation in this research and invite you to share any data or perspectives. We ask that all input be received no later than 2 November 2021."

My bolding. A long way to go. Let's see what happens once the OEM's start the lobbying.

“This is about the long term and making the game more sustainable, more enjoyable,” Davis said. “This isn’t about hurting golfers, this isn’t about necessarily lessening their distance. But the data is irrefutable. We have a problem and we’ve got to solve for it. I would almost go so far as to say that for those who don’t think that we have a problem, I would either say they haven’t read the data or they have some personal conflict of interest. When you look at this data, it’s so crystal clear that something needs to get done.”

So, outside of how arrogant this reads, is it even true? Davis has a massive hard on for tour based distance data. I challenged on social why they haven't partnered with Arccos or basically any shot tracking software out there to get a more realistic representation of distance in the game of golf, but I seriously doubt they care.

What IS true; PGA Players hit the ball an exceptionally long way.
What is NOT true: Golf as a whole has a distance problem.
Mike Davis doesn't care about golfers. He cares about the US Open.

Remember when stock length was 46.5-47 a few years ago, because the OEMs knew it meant longer drives? It didn't last because it's insanely inaccurate in an average height person's hands.
Oh geez, please don't give the them any ideas :ROFLMAO:

My bolding. A long way to go. Let's see what happens once the OEM's start the lobbying.
Why should the OEMs be the ones lobbying? We as paying customers should get our say in how they f**k with the game we love. I'm going to be as loud as I can to convince them to look at the grand picture, not just a couple hundred guys.

And I think it's worth considering; without the tour, golf lives on. Without golfers, the tour dies.

So glad he's done after this year. LATAH!
was just going to say this.. He can have fun building all those courses that are being built..

I think it is interesting. The game of golf was shrinking at a rate of about 2% per year for almost 12 years.. Many courses closing, and the opportunity to play less and less available. They had an unprecedented boom last year. With thousands of new golfers now they want to tell all those new 90 to 100 score golfers they hit the ball to far and dam the growth that is happening.

F them. F them right in the A.
More like F them right in the R&A...those stuffed shirts have to be behind this. They've been pissed off ever since John Daly and his epic mullet defiled the Claret Jug with Natty Light after destroying the Old Course back in 95. :cool:

I hope the lawsuit all the manufacturers file is beautiful.

dumba** USGA/R&A doing dumba** things.
I really dont think there will be winnable lawsuits. Its usga game, they can make rules as they see fit. It would be like aluminum bat companies suing MLB because they don't use their bats.

That being said I don't agree with limited flight anything.

was just going to say this.. He can have fun building all those courses that are being built..

I think it is interesting. The game of golf was shrinking at a rate of about 2% per year for almost 12 years.. Many courses closing, and the opportunity to play less and less available. They had an unprecedented boom last year. With thousands of new golfers now they want to tell all those new 90 to 100 score golfers they hit the ball to far and dam the growth that is happening.
haha I just quoted something like that on twitter.

Golf participation skyrocketed in 2020. Tee sheets were full and lots of equipment was sold. How do we retain all those new folks to the game?
USGA/R&A - let's look into reigning in equipment!

Nailed it.

I'm amazed that the people at the USGA are as bad at their jobs as they are and still employed by the USGA. They might as well be US Senators.

I don’t see the big deal. Most internet golfers pure a 2i MB and drive the ball 300+ anyway, so this will just make the game more challenging for them.

haha I just quoted something like that on twitter.

Golf participation skyrocketed in 2020. Tee sheets were full and lots of equipment was sold. How do we retain all those new folks to the game?
USGA/R&A - let's look into reigning in equipment!

Nailed it.

great minds...

THIS. If it was his era, he’d throw a fit, but we are seeing him get grumpier with age.

An old man wants things to be more like “the good old days”...color me shocked.

They need to get old golfer commentators who can’t stop talking about distance out of the booth. I’m sure that would help. Replace them with former top pros like Rickie, Jordan, and Phil.

Are they that washed up?

Are they that washed up?
No haha, I’m surprised you’re the first person to reply to my comment! I’d like to see all 3 win again. I thought this whole thread and concept was about making ridiculous takes for no reason 🤷‍♂️

Last edited:
Back