USGA Course Rating Definitions - Need Refinement?

15 handicaps don't shoot 3 over par. That's sandbagging and isn't really a reflection of the handicap system itself, but rather the people who utilize it.

I appreciate what you're saying, and typically speaking I opt not to play in handicapped events (unless THP is involved) because of that, but I don't think the system is broken. I stick to the people I trust and use our handicaps to have a fun competitive match with the caveat that loser buys the first round (and winner typically buys the second haha)

My latest tournament experience has me yearning to be able to compete in scratch tournaments. Competitive Golf in it's purest form must be so awesome, because strokes and the people who abuse them ruin it for everybody.

My latest tournament experience has me yearning to be able to compete in scratch tournaments. Competitive Golf in it's purest form must be so awesome, because strokes and the people who abuse them ruin it for everybody.

It's not, really. Over eager 18 year olds and arrogant middle aged dudes make a mess of my Club Championship, which often times deters me from playing. I love a good scratch game with a guy who's there to golf and not beat people, but I have found handicapped matches with friends to be the purest form of friendly competition.

Well, maybe it is, I just don't try that hard to find it. I'm usually busy trying to beat the course not another human.

As stated above I like playing the course. Could care less about the handicap system. Lucky enough to have a non handicap league and money games. Everyone is more than welcome. If you dont enjoy it you don't have to play. I play better playing with those who are better than me.

Back