UST Mamiya DART V TSPX Iron Shafts

Holy cow these look incredible!! If I hadn’t just gotten a set of Darts for the year, these would be on the buy list for me. Still super excited to hear all about them though and be tempted anyway lol

I’m really digging the DARTs I’m trying but am incredibly interested in these. I love what I’m reading about smoothness through the swing and stability at impact.

@MarMill, I’m glad the copper and black combo isn’t too much of an OkState look for you. 😜

I’m really digging the DARTs I’m trying but am incredibly interested in these. I love what I’m reading about smoothness through the swing and stability at impact.

@MarMill, I’m glad the copper and black combo isn’t too much of an OkState look for you. 😜
I am confused by this comment :ROFLMAO:

I am probably not describing it the best, but the feel through impact is really what gets me excited for these shafts the most!

Wow these look amazing. Nicely done @DannyLe !

the feel through impact is really what gets me excited for these shafts the most!

your comments about the feel have me really excited too. that stability and lack of deflection sounds like exactly what i'm after.

If this is a continuation of the progression UST has gone through into the Recoils and Recoil Protos, and then into the DARTs and now into this next iteration, I am sure the feel and control is the highlight of the shaft. Can't wait to get a chance to get one in to compare to the Recoil Proto's and see if these are my next shaft for my irons.

They look absolutely amazing! Read about them pretty quickly on the UST website while I was eating my lunch. Looking forward to digging in more on there and here later after work.

your comments about the feel have me really excited too. that stability and lack of deflection sounds like exactly what i'm after.
Same here. I was just in the DART thread whining about deflection yesterday. I’m very interested to find out from the testers, if these play stiffer than advertised. Like my dart 90s in regular flex play more like a stiff flex feel to me. wondering if these will be the same

I’d probably install these logo up tbh. They are that good.

exceeded how? feel? dispersion?

That is a great question. My dispersion is much tighter now than it ever was. Really, if it doesn't go where it was supposed to, its because I set-up wrong, or I did something else wrong. The ball flight is VERY similar to the MMT 95S which I really liked. My AW, PW and 9i are hoping and stopping and/or rolling back! Where this really shines for me personally is in terms of feel and feedback. I don't have a lot of feeling in my hands so many times I don't get a great feel impact location and where the club head is in my swing. With these shafts I get all of the feedback I could ever ask for and I don't feel like the shaft is bending so much where it is uncontrollable.

It seems to be pretty forgiving, very consistent, provides the ball flight I personally desire, I have not lost any distance (maybe gained a little), looks great, etc. While I don't know the price points for these shafts, they would be worth EVERY penny!

Absolutely. They feel very solid but still have a great feel while swinging.

This is exactly how I would describe it as well. It's not so solid that you feel like your swinging a 2x4 either.

Same here. I was just in the DART thread whining about deflection yesterday. I’m very interested to find out from the testers, if these play stiffer than advertised. Like my dart 90s in regular flex play more like a stiff flex feel to me. wondering if these will be the same

I’d probably install these logo up tbh. They are that good.

You would not be disappointed logo up. They look so good with the logo up!

I am probably not describing it the best, but the feel through impact is really what gets me excited for these shafts the most!

@MarMill I completely agree. I've never had this level of feedback in terms of feel on impact with an iron shaft. I can tell very quickly how well I did or didn't hit the ball and no matter what. I haven't had any issues with the elbows or a ringing feeling in my hands when hitting off the mats. Just unreal how well UST did in terms of "feel" on this shaft.

@MarMill I completely agree. I've never had this level of feedback in terms of feel on impact with an iron shaft. I can tell very quickly how well I did or didn't hit the ball and no matter what. I haven't had any issues with the elbows or a ringing feeling in my hands when hitting off the mats. Just unreal how well UST did in terms of "feel" on this shaft.
Heck ya. Yes the vibration dampening is something!

So what do we know about these yet? Are they the same profile as the Darts? Just heavier with M40x carbon? What does that change? What can the testers tell us? I need input!

So what do we know about these yet? Are they the same profile as the Darts? Just heavier with M40x carbon? What does that change? What can the testers tell us? I need input!

I can't tell you anything about the specifications as they haven't been released.

I can wax poetic about this but it would all be lies...

These check all the boxes for me, so good.

I know @MarMill mentioned it in his post but what does the shaft feel like in transition loading and unloading at the bottom of the swing to the other testers? Curious what the profile resembles if at all anything in their current lineup.

Alright, I have some time now to put together some initial feedback on the Dart Vs!

Some background on my graphite iron shaft experience. A couple years ago I played my first graphite iron shafts which were the Kinetixx Trajectory series which I played in the Cobra '20 Forged Tec OL irons. Last year, I played the Recoil 95 F5 in Cobra Forged Tec irons, and the 110 F4 in my Cobra King wedges. While I wasn’t formally fit for them or anything, I found they fit my swing well and produced good numbers for me. I’ve generally enjoyed playing graphite in iron shafts, as I can typically get similar stiffness characteristics as steel shafts in a lighter weight. My tendency is to fire my right hip too fast and drop my right shoulder to “get the club moving” which is exaggerated by heavier shafts. Conversely, a lighter graphite shaft helps me to feel like my arms stay in front of me without being too “whippy.”

I chose the 105 F4 model of the Recoil Dart Vs to test, mainly because I knew the 120 F5 would be way too much shaft for me, and thought I’d rather go a little heavier than a little lighter compared to my Recoil 95 F5s.

The shafts I received were 2 through Wedge, and were labeled with the iron number and “Taper Tip” and had the tips pre-prepped. I don’t know if these will be pre-prepped as standard, but if they did it just for us that’s very kind of them. As mentioned in my pics post, I’m playing them in a mixed Cobra set of 6-PW. I have an AeroJet OL 5i on order to try with the 5i shaft, but still looking for something to test in the 2-4. I haven’t typically been much of a utility iron player, but might be a good excuse to try again.

My first impression of the waggle test was that they were about the same stiffness to maybe a hair stiffer feeling than the Recoil 95 F5. I first hit these on my SkyTrak and was seeing similar distance and spin numbers to the Recoil 95s, but with a couple extra yards/degrees of peak height and descent angle, which is pretty big for me especially in the mid-long irons. I tend to go to hybrids in the bag a little sooner than other folks in my swing speed/handicap bracket, as for whatever reason I struggle a little bit to elevate mid and long irons. The other thing that seemed to jump out is that despite feeling very stable, I was able to hit partial shots without feeling like I wasn’t loading the shaft enough.

On the course, I’ve now played around 45 rounds with them. The garage results have generally held true. We’re still very much in early season conditions here, but distance and stopping power have been in line with what the standard Recoils would be in the same conditions, with the little extra height which I saw on the sim. The biggest thing I’ve noticed is how much stability these have on off center hits. I’ve had some fairly excessive thin and toe miss hits to start the year, and the shots turned out “OK” or in some cases even “good.” I’ve never had a shaft that I can feel resisting a toe miss as much as these. One particular sequence stands out - on a 3-shot par 5 I hit a fair bit toe heavy on the second shot with my 7 iron which has the Dart V. I could really feel the shaft resisting twisting, and the result was a little short but otherwise fine. On my 3rd shot I had a GW in which has the 110 standard Recoil. I hit a similarly toey shot, and the result was fine, maybe 15 feet right of the pin, but I could feel the tip of the shaft twisting a lot more than the Dart V.

Overall, I’ve been very impressed with the feel, flight, and forgiveness/stability of the shafts. I’m excited to keep testing them as we start to get into the meat of the golf season here. Once they are available to purchase I will likely seek out a couple more of the wedge shafts for my 48* and 54* as I like them so much. My home course has its annual Masters Par 3 tournament this Saturday, where all 18 are set up as par 3s. It will be a good chance to hit a bunch of iron shots with a little pressure.

Thanks again for the chance to test these, I look forward to providing more feedback and happy to answer any questions anyone has!

loving the feedback! keep it coming

Back