UST Mamiya Recoil Shafts Review Thread

All my shafts are soft stepped. I should have stated that

The recoils F4 cpm 5.5 and the KBS tours are 6.0.. So the recoils are already on the softer side of stiff and that made me think that could possibly be the reason for your higher flight. Idk maybe I'm over thinking it lol.

The recoils F4 cpm 5.5 and the KBS tours are 6.0.. So the recoils are already on the softer side of stiff and that made me think that could possibly be the reason for your higher flight. Idk maybe I'm over thinking it lol.

You could be right though.

There is a 10 shaft set on the auction site, F5 flex, for very reasonable cost. They are pulls.

F5 is X flex just so everyone is aware. IMO those would play to a very true X Flex

There is a 10 shaft set on the auction site, F5 flex, for very reasonable cost. They are pulls.

Which auction site?

I'd be very interested in an x flex of these shafts.

Love hearing all the great things about these shafts, just wish they were a little cheaper.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

These are my thoughts. I hit these in a friends clubs this morning that he got from UST and they feel great until you hear the invoice total!!

These are my thoughts. I hit these in a friends clubs this morning that he got from UST and they feel great until you hear the invoice total!!

The Recoil has many different options in the line with different prices. The 600's are about $40/shaft from what I have read

The Recoil has many different options in the line with different prices. The 600's are about $40/shaft from what I have read

I have been wondering how those play in comparison to the Proto's

I have been wondering how those play in comparison to the Proto's

I speak regularly to a person on the internets and he has them in a set of irons. He absolutely raves about them.

I speak regularly to a person on the internets and he has them in a set of irons. He absolutely raves about them.

Has he hit the protos? Is there any other info that you can give us about his game specs etc?

Up on eBay.

Well, I don't know whether to thank you or not (we'll see when the wife finds out), but I just won those on the bay. 500 bucks for 10 shafts and they look to be in pretty much perfect shape.

Lately for the first time ever, I've had a little stiffness in my left wrist that may be attributable to lessons, practice on the range and the heavy DG shafts I'm playing. I am an old man after all. Between that, and the good reviews from you guys so far, I was convinced to give these a shot. Plus seeing and knowing a little about toppdog's game, I think they can work for me if they're working for him. And I only imagine my joint pain and stiffness will increase as I get older.

Now, do I buy new heads to put these in? My TM MCs may work out real nice with these too.... hmmmmmm

Well, I don't know whether to thank you or not (we'll see when the wife finds out), but I just won those on the bay. 500 bucks for 10 shafts and they look to be in pretty much perfect shape.

Lately for the first time ever, I've had a little stiffness in my left wrist that may be attributable to lessons, practice on the range and the heavy DG shafts I'm playing. I am an old man after all. Between that, and the good reviews from you guys so far, I was convinced to give these a shot. Plus seeing and knowing a little about toppdog's game, I think they can work for me if they're working for him. And I only imagine my joint pain and stiffness will increase as I get older.

Now, do I buy new heads to put these in? My TM MCs may work out real nice with these too.... hmmmmmm

That's a great price for 10 shafts! I say put them in the MC's I think that would be a killer combo.

Awesome Bret! That's a great price for those. If I remember right those were the protos like we are testing and they will be just as heavy as the DGs you currently play. Only difference is that you won't feel the vibrations I think you will really like them and they should fit your swing really well.

I say out them in the MCs, could be a really nice combo.

Lol G4L. Good luck with them!

Outstanding dude. Can't wait to see what you think about them

I cant wait to see your thoughts on these in the MCs!

I cant wait to see your thoughts on these in the MCs!

Haha, I guess MCs it is! They should look seriously bad ass in the MCs no doubt.

G4L, that is awesome! Can't wait to hear your thoughts as well!

Congrats on the purchase! I looked at these a few days ago after reading this thread but they are too stiff for me. Looking forward to hearing your thoughts.

Totally forgot to get this up as I have had some stuff come up the last couple of days. I apologize for that but here is my outing on Sunday April 14.

I was really happy to get out and play today because the wind was up a bit, about 15-20 MPH going left to right, and I wanted to test how the Recoils react in the wind. I was incredibly happy to see that held up great. I was on the range for most of the time just to groove my swing for the season and also to get prepared for the awesome year of golf I have planned this year. So when I was hitting ball after ball I was so glad to see the wind had little affect on my golf ball.

I was really trying to groove my swing so I didn't hit a lot of shots where I was trying to shape the ball. I was simply hitting stock shots and seeing what would happen in the wind. What I saw was very encouraging and made me like these shafts all that much more. Just a small draw shot after shot when I put a good swing on the ball.

I also got out for 9 holes, was planning on playing 18 but course was clogged and I wanted to get home and watch the Masters. So I didn't get to hit a lot of different irons in the bag but the ones I did hit I was really happy with. I am really enjoying the spin that these shafts help generate as I get a nice solid ball flight and tons of spin to hold greens. I know that every green that I hit I didn't have a ball that was more than 5' from its ball mark. Which is great because it gives me the confidence to be able to hit at some pins when I really need to and know that my ball will stay close to where I hit the green.

If anyone gets a chance to hit one of these shafts, make sure you do it! You won't be sorry. These are some fantastic shafts, and while they can be stout to some don't let that scare you and hit them before you decide they are not for you. You can then thank me later!

Totally forgot to get this up as I have had some stuff come up the last couple of days. I apologize for that but here is my outing on Sunday April 14.

I was really happy to get out and play today because the wind was up a bit, about 15-20 MPH going left to right, and I wanted to test how the Recoils react in the wind. I was incredibly happy to see that held up great. I was on the range for most of the time just to groove my swing for the season and also to get prepared for the awesome year of golf I have planned this year. So when I was hitting ball after ball I was so glad to see the wind had little affect on my golf ball.

I was really trying to groove my swing so I didn't hit a lot of shots where I was trying to shape the ball. I was simply hitting stock shots and seeing what would happen in the wind. What I saw was very encouraging and made me like these shafts all that much more. Just a small draw shot after shot when I put a good swing on the ball.

I also got out for 9 holes, was planning on playing 18 but course was clogged and I wanted to get home and watch the Masters. So I didn't get to hit a lot of different irons in the bag but the ones I did hit I was really happy with. I am really enjoying the spin that these shafts help generate as I get a nice solid ball flight and tons of spin to hold greens. I know that every green that I hit I didn't have a ball that was more than 5' from its ball mark. Which is great because it gives me the confidence to be able to hit at some pins when I really need to and know that my ball will stay close to where I hit the green.

If anyone gets a chance to hit one of these shafts, make sure you do it! You won't be sorry. These are some fantastic shafts, and while they can be stout to some don't let that scare you and hit them before you decide they are not for you. You can then thank me later!

Nice thoughts Greg. Sounds like the shafts help provide the ideal amount of spin, enough to hold greens, not so much to cause trouble in wind. I like it!

Getting a set of X-Hot Pro's shafted up with Steelfibers to compare to my recoil setup.

Will report back.

I've been hitting the recoils extremely well. The feel is very muted, maybe too muted sometimes. Might just be the compbo of heads/shafts though. But these shafts are extremely consistent and have had great success playing in some pretty lousy/windy conditions where normally I would struggle.

Getting a set of X-Hot Pro's shafted up with Steelfibers to compare to my recoil setup.

Will report back.

I've been hitting the recoils extremely well. The feel is very muted, maybe too muted sometimes. Might just be the compbo of heads/shafts though. But these shafts are extremely consistent and have had great success playing in some pretty lousy/windy conditions where normally I would struggle.

Really interested to hear your thoughts. I just bought an extra R11 6 iron to do some shaft comparisons. The Recoils and Steelfibers along with the KBS Tour's are the front runners. Seems the Recoils are pretty similar to the KBS Tours, I'll be curious to see how they compare to the Steelfibers.

Jimmy I appreciate you taking the time to share your thoughts. In terms of the success you are having with these in windy conditions, is it more because you are finding these easy to flight or is it that the ball is cutting through the wind?

Back