UST Mamiya Recoil Shafts Review Thread

Here is a question for you testers and maybe I skimmed a update but do you feel you have to make a full swing to really "feel" the shaft work or do these shafts still produce a solid feel with less than full swings?

Here is a question for you testers and maybe I skimmed a update but do you feel you have to make a full swing to really "feel" the shaft work or do these shafts still produce a solid feel with less than full swings?

For me on full swings these shafts feel like the KBS tours, very smooth and stable. On less then full swings is where the difference is for me, the recoils on 3/4 or less swings really feel like they are working. I can feel them release (kick) through the ball at impact, it's a very cool feeling! With steel shafts I never got that sensation.

I'm feeling the same as CS. I am actually feeling the most on less than full shots

Pics. I'm at work so I don't have time to give descriptions or anything. I took my i20's with PXi's in them and put side by side with the Ansers and Recoils. Very hard to tell a difference. These shafts look like steel shafts

P1010703Large_zps6856b31c.jpg

P1010702Large_zps38ecf274.jpg

P1010701Large_zps32d6b426.jpg

P1010700Large_zps72638dde.jpg

P1010699Large_zps89b6eeb1.jpg

P1010698Large_zps0b0d6f20.jpg

P1010697Large_zps8dfc124b.jpg

P1010695Large_zps2ce4d33f.jpg

I have more but Photobucket is not working for me right now

For me on full swings these shafts feel like the KBS tours, very smooth and stable. On less then full swings is where the difference is for me, the recoils on 3/4 or less swings really feel like they are working. I can feel them release (kick) through the ball at impact, it's a very cool feeling! With steel shafts I never got that sensation.

I'm feeling the same as CS. I am actually feeling the most on less than full shots
Man that is huge! Thanks guys.

Chunky, the look of those shafts still amazes me. Making them look steel was an great choice IMO

I'm amazed how close these look to steel shafts, I wonder if that was intentional?

Nice looking pictures Chunkyman.

I'm amazed how close these look to steel shafts, I wonder if that was intentional?

I would think it was very intentional. People want to get the feel of graphite but always saw it as a "senior" option. Now on one would even notice if it was that big of a deal to someone.

I would think it was very intentional. People want to get the feel of graphite but always saw it as a "senior" option. Now on one would even notice if it was that big of a deal to someone.
I was thinking that same thing! It certainly "hides" you having graphite!

Pics. I'm at work so I don't have time to give descriptions or anything. I took my i20's with PXi's in them and put side by side with the Ansers and Recoils. Very hard to tell a difference. These shafts look like steel shafts

P1010703Large_zps6856b31c.jpg

P1010702Large_zps38ecf274.jpg

P1010701Large_zps32d6b426.jpg

P1010700Large_zps72638dde.jpg

P1010699Large_zps89b6eeb1.jpg

P1010698Large_zps0b0d6f20.jpg

P1010697Large_zps8dfc124b.jpg

P1010695Large_zps2ce4d33f.jpg

I have more but Photobucket is not working for me right now

Beautiful combo!

Those are beautiful, Chunky!

And to Jj I am not sure about your question. That is actually my goal for the next time out with these so I will update appropriately then.

I noticed the Steel Fibers were mentioned a little earlier. Couldn't find if this was answered but have any of the testers hit the Steel Fibers before? Thanks guys and keep up the great work.

Stan I have not hit the Steel Fibers enough that I could give a solid opinion on them. I do know that they are a mid flight shaft though.

Got to the range today and hit a few balls. Wind was wicked today and so was not a great testing day. I had mentioned earlier that it seemed like the ball got through the wind in one of my earlier sessions. Today the ball seemed to be getting knocked down a bit. Mainly with the wedge. The 7I was a nice draw into a left to right wind which made it a very small draw. Thing of beauty actually.

Got out for a quick 9 today. I hit some good shots and some bad but overall I had a pretty good round. The recoils performed great today! Ball flight was a penetrating (mid/high) like I've been seeing with these shafts and the feel and spin I now have with the wedges is awesome. When I hit the greens with the wedges (pw aw) the ball hops and stops, sometimes backs up. With the mid irons I am getting about 10 feet of roll out on the greens, that's pretty good for me and slightly better then what I was seeing with my steel shafts.

I had some problems but still shot my personal best for this course today 39... my putting was atrocious! I 4 putted two times today from 10' that's totally unacceptable! Now I can only imagine what could have been.

Got out for a quick 9 today. I hit some good shots and some bad but overall I had a pretty good round. The recoils performed great today! Ball flight was a penetrating (mid/high) like I've been seeing with these shafts and the feel and spin I now have with the wedges is awesome. When I hit the greens with the wedges (pw aw) the ball hops and stops, sometimes backs up. With the mid irons I am getting about 10 feet of roll out on the greens, that's pretty good for me and slightly better then what I was seeing with my steel shafts.

I had some problems but still shot my personal best for this course today 39... my putting was atrocious! I 4 putted two times today from 10' that's totally unacceptable! Now I can only imagine what could have been.

A 39 with 2 4-putts? Yeah I'd say these shafts are working for you. Maybe you should throw one in your putter.

Very nice CS! I had my first range session that I could say the ball flight could possibly been an issue in the wind. My wedge shots were getting knocked down by a stiff breeze

A 39 with 2 4-putts? Yeah I'd say these shafts are working for you. Maybe you should throw one in your putter.

I did forget to mention in my OP it's a par 31.

Went to the range today and really did not have a great swing. So today was a good day to test these shafts on mishits. A small disclaimer is that the Ansers are a lot like the i20's. The best thing about the i20's(among many awesome things!) is that they are tremendous on toe shots.

Started the day with some wedges and I was not making center face contact. First few shots were thin. Threw in a couple of fatties and then repeatedly hit shots close to the heel which is my usual miss. I also had some toe shots as well. The entire clubface was used in testing today lol

Thins: Its these shots that have so far been the most surprising. A lot of times with graphite the feel is so muted that you can barely feel the misses. I can remember the first shot I hit with these was thin and I was surprised at how easily I felt it. Well that has continued. I can tell you if I hit it a few grooves low. These shafts truly surprise me with how much feel they allow.

Heel shots: My usual miss. Most of the time a little in toward the heel is not a bad miss at all. I will tend to not lose any distance and it will act very much like center contact. This continues with the Recoils. I probably hit at least 50% of my shots slightly in toward the heel. No distance loss is noted and it feels like I flushed it.

Toe shots: This is the true test. I don't normally miss out there but it does happen. The normal result will be a pretty decent loss of distance and an absolutely awful feel to the shot. I have to say that with this combo, I am not getting killed by hits on the toe. I'm seeing distance loss but it does seem to be minimal. Maybe 5 yards. I remember one shot in particular with the PW. I hit it almost off the grooves section and I still landed on the green I was aiming at. Not much distance loss. You do however feel the miss. I really like that.

I am really unsure if the toe shot lack of distance loss can be attributed to the shafts or if it is mainly a product of the Ansers which are very similar to the i20's. But I am seeing it so I figured I would report it. The feedback with these shafts is fantastic. I want to feel a miss and these give me that. But they allow me to play without the terrible results on the fingers/wrist.

Question for you CL. Have you seen a different miss overall with these or would you say the transition has been pretty seamless?

Question for you CL. Have you seen a different miss overall with these or would you say the transition has been pretty seamless?

I got these in the Anser heads so that I could have a dream set and also so that I would be very familiar with the head since it is so close to the i20. The only difference between these sets is that the Anser/Recoil is a higher flight. I am still stunned how high I can get a solid wedge shot.

But everything else is the same. Still seeing a consistent draw. Still hitting my shots in toward the heel. Everything is the same. I almost want to say that I am finding it easier to flight the ball as well. I'm not quite there yet to make a definitive statement on that though. Also not quite there on whether I am seeing more distance. My initial thoughts are I'm seeing some. Not sure how much though.

I get an iron set and generally I will take a month or so to get comfy with them. These are basically a drop in to the bag and replace so far. Very comfortable with these. Plus I can now type afterward. I don't think I can shout that enough. It feels good to not have to deal with the throbbing itching hands after a range session

It's nice to hear that making a switch to graphite has been a solid transition for you (and others as well). It's something I am enjoying myself right now.

Absolutely seamless. I would imagine that anyone can get fit to one of the weights in the Recoil line and not miss a beat. I would be shocked based off what I am seeing if anyone saw a major difference. I'm coming from sets with KBS Tour, PXi and S300's so I pretty much run the gambit of iron shafts. These are absolutely comparable in performance with those. Slightly higher flight

Love hearing all the great things about these shafts, just wish they were a little cheaper.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Absolutely seamless. I would imagine that anyone can get fit to one of the weights in the Recoil line and not miss a beat. I would be shocked based off what I am seeing if anyone saw a major difference. I'm coming from sets with KBS Tour, PXi and S300's so I pretty much run the gambit of iron shafts. These are absolutely comparable in performance with those. Slightly higher flight

Do you think that slightly higher flight you are seeing could be due to soft stepping these shafts?

Do you think that slightly higher flight you are seeing could be due to soft stepping these shafts?

All my shafts are soft stepped. I should have stated that

Back