UST Mamiya Recoil Shafts Review Thread

For me, the performance of the recoil 110 and KBS tour V are about the same.
I just love the recoils as they are easier on my left arm. Its nice not to have to use ice after a round :)

For me, it was arthritis in the upper arms. The vibrations from the steel shafts made it pretty much unbearable. Barely played the first half of 2014 because of it and the rounds that I did play were pretty much unremarkable. Have not missed a single opportunity to play since moving totally away from steel.

Thanks for the feedback guys, sounds like the standard 95 would be a good option.

For the record, I did contact the fitter and ask him, and he said that they noticed a "big difference in performance, despite only a slight torque difference." I'm not sure what exactly he means by that, so I am following up for detail. Interested to see what answer I get - I straight up told him that the build he quoted was out of my price range.

Been looking at the 95s also, and the online fitting tool suggested the Proto. No personal experience, but from what few comments I have found the Protos may launch slightly lower, but most would not notice an appreciable difference. So, probably worth just getting the regular 95s. If necessary you might be able to step them or go a little stiffer and make up the difference in launch if you think you need it. I plan to just go the standard route.

Thanks for the feedback guys, sounds like the standard 95 would be a good option.

For the record, I did contact the fitter and ask him, and he said that they noticed a "big difference in performance, despite only a slight torque difference." I'm not sure what exactly he means by that, so I am following up for detail. Interested to see what answer I get - I straight up told him that the build he quoted was out of my price range.

I know from my conversation with Danny, he plays the 95's and loves them, considering he can play any shaft they offer, that's probably saying a lot. I'm sure he could answer first hand any specific questions you have.

Keep us informed. I'm interested to see what he says. If possible you might check with UST and see what they say. If all else fails could you get one of the 95 or 110 recoil shafts to try in your 7 or 8 iron just to see how they perform for you. Might answer all your questions. Also something as simple as hard or soft stepping the recoils might give a closer performance to the proto shafts. Not sure how the stepping works with graphite shafts though.

Have the 110s on my grandaddy Apex irons and absolutely love them. First ever graphite iron shaft I have ever tried and they are incredible.

I know from my conversation with Danny, he plays the 95's and loves them, considering he can play any shaft they offer, that's probably saying a lot. I'm sure he could answer first hand any specific questions you have.

Keep us informed. I'm interested to see what he says. If possible you might check with UST and see what they say. If all else fails could you get one of the 95 or 110 recoil shafts to try in your 7 or 8 iron just to see how they perform for you. Might answer all your questions. Also something as simple as hard or soft stepping the recoils might give a closer performance to the proto shafts. Not sure how the stepping works with graphite shafts though.

Will definitely let you guys know what the fitter says. I'll check with UST as well, that's an excellent idea. CAA_Beat, have you just been communicating with him on Twitter or through email?

Stepping the Recoils is an interesting idea for sure! All I know is I don't want to pay north of $100 a shaft haha, but I loved everything about the Protos in the fitting.

I have had a couple encounters with these in different heads (Apex and Z545) and both times came away really impressed with the feel of them.

Will definitely let you guys know what the fitter says. I'll check with UST as well, that's an excellent idea. CAA_Beat, have you just been communicating with him on Twitter or through email?

Stepping the Recoils is an interesting idea for sure! All I know is I don't want to pay north of $100 a shaft haha, but I loved everything about the Protos in the fitting.

Heard back from the fitter, he says that "most of the improvement in the Proto Recoil is in dispersion and ball speed." Interesting. I may run that by UST...

Heard back from the fitter, he says that "most of the improvement in the Proto Recoil is in dispersion and ball speed." Interesting. I may run that by UST...

Hindsight is 20/20 but it would have been nice if you would have hit both the proto and 95 at the fitting. Any chance you could find a place to hit both or possibly ask the fitter to let you come back and test both and see if you can live with the results. In lieu of that how about finding an iron you can hit that has the stock 95's in them? I really think that you need to hit the 95's before you purchase them.

Hindsight is 20/20 but it would have been nice if you would have hit both the proto and 95 at the fitting. Any chance you could find a place to hit both or possibly ask the fitter to let you come back and test both and see if you can live with the results. In lieu of that how about finding an iron you can hit that has the stock 95's in them? I really think that you need to hit the 95's before you purchase them.
He said when I was there that they don't carry the regular 95 anymore because they feel the proto is superior. I think the shop near me has some of the regular 95's though - I'll look into it.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

sounds like an upsell to me. I couldnt be happier with the recoil 100's tho

The protos have a slightly different bend profile and to me play stiffer. I had better results with the protos the difference isn't huge but it is noticeable IMO. They feel a bit different. It has been a year or so since I have messed with the recoils so this is all just from memory. The difference in price is staggering though for many it will not be worth it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

He said when I was there that they don't carry the regular 95 anymore because they feel the proto is superior. I think the shop near me has some of the regular 95's though - I'll look into it.

Obviously you know you get good results from the proto's. Do you have the proto data so that you can compare the two if/when you get a chance to hit the "old" 95's? That would be my suggestion. You should know pretty quickly if the feel and performance difference is something you can live with. If indeed there is a difference in your mind after hitting them.

Obviously you know you get good results from the proto's. Do you have the proto data so that you can compare the two if/when you get a chance to hit the "old" 95's? That would be my suggestion. You should know pretty quickly if the feel and performance difference is something you can live with.
Yep I have the Trackman groupings and full data. Not sure if I will be able to get the same head on there, but should at least be able to hit the shaft and get some numbers. It's a GC2 but I've found it fairly accurate

Yep I have the Trackman groupings and full data. Not sure if I will be able to get the same head on there, but should at least be able to hit the shaft and get some numbers. It's a GC2 but I've found it fairly accurate

You might check with UST also just to see what they say, although I doubt it will be much different from your fitter. Some fitters can tell you what shafts have similar performance characteristics to others as well. I know the Tom Wishon fitters have this type of information but everyone is different and just because the shafts are supposed to be good relplicas of each other doesn't mean they would necessarily work for you.

The protos have a slightly different bend profile and to me play stiffer. I had better results with the protos the difference isn't huge but it is noticeable IMO. They feel a bit different. It has been a year or so since I have messed with the recoils so this is all just from memory. The difference in price is staggering though for many it will not be worth it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You are correct in that the Proto's will play stiffer and and have a mid launch, which based on my swings helped out with the dispersion, but not enough to make me game them over the regular 95's that I have in my Z545's. Can't go wrong either way, but I don't think a regular amateur golfer will noticed much difference other than launch.

Have the 110s on my grandaddy Apex irons and absolutely love them. First ever graphite iron shaft I have ever tried and they are incredible.

I went in thinking the 95's were the shaft and then I hit the Recoil 780 ES in F4 and have superior numbers. If you told me these were 95's I would believe you because the weight difference is minimal IMO. What I like most Is you get all the benefits of playing graphite, but with the feel and performance of steel

You might check with UST also just to see what they say, although I doubt it will be much different from your fitter. Some fitters can tell you what shafts have similar performance characteristics to others as well. I know the Tom Wishon fitters have this type of information but everyone is different and just because the shafts are supposed to be good relplicas of each other doesn't mean they would necessarily work for you.

Yeah I've got a question in to them on their website.

I think you're probably right, it will be key for me to hit the shaft first.

The torque being the main difference between 95 and proto 95 will be very noticeable by some. As Ron stated earlier they have a bit different bend profile as well. A lower torque shaft will "feel" much stiffer and suits a more aggressive swing. Higher torque shaft will feel smoother and seem to load easier. I can say whether the proto or non proto will be a better fit for anyone but for me, if I have a lower torque shaft I tend to swing with more effort. Feels like the shaft needs it. A higher torque shaft feels to me like it softer so I swing smoother. It's about finding the right balance that make that magical feel for you (as long as the numbers and ball flight is good). I have played recoil 125 and 110 f5 and both felt smooth and felt like I can swing easy. I had the 125 f5 prototype and felt like rebar with very limited kick

Thanks guys for all the posts & explanations of different shafts here. I'm learning a lot! One thing I think is pretty clear to me - I'm going to spend the money on getting fit by a reputable fitter & see what actually works best for me. Luckily I'm only 30 minutes away from a "top 100" fitter (Trent Maxwell).

I was playing with Misike yesterday & he said during his Grandaddy fitting that the Callaway guy (Nick?) actually mentioned this guy as a good place to go. I think it runs in the neighborhood of $250 (for a full bag fitting; only $125 for irons), but is probably cheaper in the long run. Otherwise, I could see myself jumping from one set of irons to another, looking for that perfect match.

Well I wasn't able to hit the regular Recoil this weekend, but I was able to hit the Steelfiber i95 stiff in an MP-25 head and came away very impressed. The loft of the 6 iron is- a full club weaker than my Z Star 6 iron, and with the Steelfiber I was able to achieve nearly the same distances as the Z Star with an MP-25, which is pretty crazy. And it feels sooooooo good, just like most of these modern graphite shafts do.

Has anyone hit the Recoil 95 standard vs the Steelfiber? Are they similar shafts, or does the Steelfiber compare closer to the Proto?

Thanks guys for all the posts & explanations of different shafts here. I'm learning a lot! One thing I think is pretty clear to me - I'm going to spend the money on getting fit by a reputable fitter & see what actually works best for me. Luckily I'm only 30 minutes away from a "top 100" fitter (Trent Maxwell).

I was playing with Misike yesterday & he said during his Grandaddy fitting that the Callaway guy (Nick?) actually mentioned this guy as a good place to go. I think it runs in the neighborhood of $250 (for a full bag fitting; only $125 for irons), but is probably cheaper in the long run. Otherwise, I could see myself jumping from one set of irons to another, looking for that perfect match.

That's actually a pretty good value I feel for a ful bag or iron fitting. Especially someone ranked that highly and has the endorsement of Callaway.

This is exactly why I did a fitting. I want to eventually get my perfect iron setup (now that I know what it is) and then just play it for several years, rather than continuing to change crap like I've been doing.

Agree that that's a solid price for full bag, that's about what I paid.

Well I wasn't able to hit the regular Recoil this weekend, but I was able to hit the Steelfiber i95 stiff in an MP-25 head and came away very impressed. The loft of the 6 iron is- a full club weaker than my Z Star 6 iron, and with the Steelfiber I was able to achieve nearly the same distances as the Z Star with an MP-25, which is pretty crazy. And it feels sooooooo good, just like most of these modern graphite shafts do.

Has anyone hit the Recoil 95 standard vs the Steelfiber? Are they similar shafts, or does the Steelfiber compare closer to the Proto?

Have the Steelfibers found their way in to the equation?
Have you been able to hit the 95's yet? Just curious how the hunting has gone. You could just get the setup you were fitted to especially if you're going to be playing them for 3 or 4 years. In the long run it probably the best option.

Have the Steelfibers found their way in to the equation?
Have you been able to hit the 95's yet? Just curious how the hunting has gone. You could just get the setup you were fitted to especially if you're going to be playing them for 3 or r years. In the long run it probably the best option.

I haven't been able to hit the 95's, but I found the Steelfibers so I took a run with them out of curiosity and was pretty impressed.

FWIW, you're probably right. I'm just having difficulty justifying the cost of the fitted setup, even from a more reasonable clubmaker. The cost is actually quite reasonable for what he's quoted me - since the head prices for each club from Mizuno are around $100, and the Protos list at a similar price. So just for the components it's around $1200 for 6 clubs new, and even using eBay I haven't found a way to get the shafts and heads for less than about $900. The clubmaker is quoting me $165 per club, assembled and swingweighted, so really given the high end components it's a good price. I just have difficulty with that price given I've never bought new irons and always paid less than $400 for an entire set.

Basically, I need to a) convince myself it's worth it in the long run and b) sell some extra crap to reduce the cost.

I haven't been able to hit the 95's, but I found the Steelfibers so I took a run with them out of curiosity and was pretty impressed.

FWIW, you're probably right. I'm just having difficulty justifying the cost of the fitted setup, even from a more reasonable clubmaker. The cost is actually quite reasonable for what he's quoted me - since the head prices for each club from Mizuno are around $100, and the Protos list at a similar price. So just for the components it's around $1200 for 6 clubs new, and even using eBay I haven't found a way to get the shafts and heads for less than about $900. The clubmaker is quoting me $165 per club, assembled and swingweighted, so really given the high end components it's a good price. I just have difficulty with that price given I've never bought new irons and always paid less than $400 for an entire set.

Basically, I need to a) convince myself it's worth it in the long run and b) sell some extra crap to reduce the cost.
As high as those numbers are they are still in line with a handful of the new iron releases from multiple OEMs. Heck, AP2s are 1700 up here...off the rack.

Back