UST Mamiya Recoil Shafts Review Thread

Sounds good. Look forward to hearing thoughts on each setup.
Should be instructive. I've always heard the Steelfiber is a little closer in feel to steel than the Recoil, so curious which one will work better for me.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

Should be instructive. I've always heard the Steelfiber is a little closer in feel to steel than the Recoil, so curious which one will work better for me.

I was able to spend some time with the Steelfiber in the DPC's. Really felt close to the px shafts that I was playing at the time. Don't recall spending any time with the recoil, but would love to at some point.

Just got back from seeing Danny Le, and got some great feedback and numbers on the Recoil 95 vs the Proto. Here are some key stats between the two using a Titleist AP1, closest club head he had to the Mizuno 850s I am putting them in.

a9b93d632fd3441370ca97119a9b6e51.jpg

Basically for me it boiled down to feel and dispersion. The 95s had a little tighter dispersion and felt a little "softer", which I prefer. The Protos were not harsh or boardy by any means, just a little firmer. So if you like a little firmer feel, the Proto may be a better choice. Carry, ball speed, launch, and spin were real close. Proto launch a degree or so lower with 200 or so high RPMs more spin. Which basically canceled each other out from a carry standpoint.

I I also tried the 110, but did not get as good of results on the couple of shots I hit. I will be putting 125s in my wedges though.

Overall, love these shafts and just what I am looking for.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BigTex! Good stuff! How was your ball flight with the Recoils compared to your steel shafts? Higher ball flight?

BigTex! Good stuff! How was your ball flight with the Recoils compared to your steel shafts? Higher ball flight?

About the same as with the steel. My launch numbers were what I am used to, and total carry as well. But, I will say I also like the feel of the Recoils better than the steel. Hard to explain, and it may just be due to the dampened vibration.

Look forward to your thoughts on these.

I was able to spend some time with the Steelfiber in the DPC's. Really felt close to the px shafts that I was playing at the time. Don't recall spending any time with the recoil, but would love to at some point.
We need to get out before you head south. You can hit my Recoils and the Speedrulz I got yesterday.

We need to get out before you head south. You can hit my Recoils and the Speedrulz I got yesterday.
Not going to get the chance. I'm leaving, probably next Friday. Just got the official word.
We'll play later this spring or early summer and I will check them out then.
I'm really interested in looking into graphite going forward in my next iron set. Thinking these are my first choice. Just need to get a feel of them, then get a fitting.

Got the chance to try these 7i's out for a bit on the GC2 tonight against my Z Star 7i. Definitely notice the additional shock absorption from both the Recoil and the Steelfiber vs the steel in my irons - love it. Both shafts make you feel like there's really more energy going into the ball as well. Performance was very similar with both shafts as far as numbers. I was getting statistically similar carry yardage and spin with the two testers to the Z Star - which is actually pretty impressive, considering that the J15DF is a much less distance oriented iron than the Z Star.

As far as differences, it really does pretty much come down to feel. The Steelfiber feels very much like steel and is more stable, but so much smother and less jarring on poor contact. The Recoil, on the other hand, gives a much more marked energetic feeling through impact, and feels a little less stout. I feel like I may have launched it a touch higher with this shaft when struck well also.

At first blush I think I prefer the Steelfiber, but it's early. Both appear to be great options based on the very similar results I see.

Got the chance to try these 7i's out for a bit on the GC2 tonight against my Z Star 7i. Definitely notice the additional shock absorption from both the Recoil and the Steelfiber vs the steel in my irons - love it. Both shafts make you feel like there's really more energy going into the ball as well. Performance was very similar with both shafts as far as numbers. I was getting statistically similar carry yardage and spin with the two testers to the Z Star - which is actually pretty impressive, considering that the J15DF is a much less distance oriented iron than the Z Star.

As far as differences, it really does pretty much come down to feel. The Steelfiber feels very much like steel and is more stable, but so much smother and less jarring on poor contact. The Recoil, on the other hand, gives a much more marked energetic feeling through impact, and feels a little less stout. I feel like I may have launched it a touch higher with this shaft when struck well also.

At first blush I think I prefer the Steelfiber, but it's early. Both appear to be great options based on the very similar results I see.

What about using the Recoils up to say 9 or pitching wedge and Steefiber in the wedges? Might give you a little more control with the wedges but also that little extra you need occasional on the other clubs.

After hitting the Recoils I am think I may need to go a little heavier in the Gap wedge. Going to play around with it a little more. But, I hit a lot of partial shots with that club and it feels a little light.

What about using the Recoils up to say 9 or pitching wedge and Steefiber in the wedges? Might give you a little more control with the wedges but also that little extra you need occasional on the other clubs.

After hitting the Recoils I am think I may need to go a little heavier in the Gap wedge. Going to play around with it a little more. But, I hit a lot of partial shots with that club and it feels a little light.

Interesting idea. I think I'd lean towards just going with heavier Recoils in the higher lofted clubs, just because the feel would be more similar but a little more stable.

Great comparison, awesome to hear your results, can't wait to see how this performs in the Apex UT for me!

Had a chance to spend a lot of time with these on the range today. They are just what the doctor ordered for me. Despite hitting a ton of balls, my elbow feels great. Really like how the shafts load, and they have a nice smooth feel to them. Pair really well with heads I put them in. Yardage and flight were similar to my previous irons, but I do have a noted increase in spin. Not ure how much of that is the shafts and how much is the heads. My guess is the heads, based on my sim time with other heads using these shafts.

I'm thinking of experimenting with the recoil shaft in my wedges. I went back a few pages and didn't really see anyone that's done this. I currently have the KBS Tours in all my wedges. What do you guys think?

I'm thinking of experimenting with the recoil shaft in my wedges. I went back a few pages and didn't really see anyone that's done this. I currently have the KBS Tours in all my wedges. What do you guys think?

It is the next thing on my equipment agenda. After talking to Danny Le, going to try the 125s and putting them in Cally MD3s. Should play similar to the KBS I would think. I have the KBS in my Cally PM grind 58. If you want something firmer feeling than the regular Recoil you can try the Proto. From what I have heard the Steelfiber may be a little firmer as well. I will say because of balance points in the shaft the Recoil may feel a little lighter than a similarly weighted iron shaft.

I have Recoils in my wedges and LOVE them!
Our games are a little different Id imagine, but would bet youd like them!

What weight KBS Tour? I played the 125 F4's (stiff) in my wedges and found they played very soft to flex and didn't like them for full shots at all. But if you only take partial shots it may not make a difference.

Hi guys does anyone play these in the older apex pro irons? Im on the hunt for shafts to replace my KBS ones and i dont know what to get.

Bought a SM5 "S" grind with a Recoil 125 F4 shaft. Will be out at the course tomorrow to give it a whirl. Love the feel. I went with the 125 strictly because of the weight. I have a wedge with a KK shaft but, it's just too light and I get quick with my swing.

Hi guys does anyone play these in the older apex pro irons? Im on the hunt for shafts to replace my KBS ones and i dont know what to get.

Just picked up a set (5-P) of the 2014 Apex Pros from CPO w the UST Recoil 110 f4 shafts. Oh my!!! They feel awesome. Little to no shock up the elbow even on thin or toe hits. Feel just like steel (flight stability etc). I've been having some left elbow soreness of late (cooler temps and steel shafts) but have banged balls last 2 days (old/crappy hard range balls) and no soreness at all! Highly highly recommend

I was thinking of picking up a set of these and put them in my 714 AP2'S

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Finally got out on the course yesterday to play a full round. Played a short 9 about a week ago, and really didn't like the results. Yesterday was almost the same. My Recoil 125 f4 in my SM5 56* wedge really didn't feel that good for the most part. I did hit one very good shot into a green to within 5-6 feet but most of my other shots were just chunks. The ground wasn't firm just soft, so you couldn't really go down on the ball. My pitch shots was the surprise and not in a good way. I couldn't hit a half pitch into the green from 20-30 yards to save my life. Most of my hits were fat chunks that cam up very short. This is my first time with the Recoil 125 f4, so maybe it's too stiff, it does feel kind of heavy so maybe I should have gone with the 95 f3 instead, but my other wedge has a DG spinner and feels just as heavy. Maybe just have to work with it. IDK

Recoils will be in the irons and wedges by this Friday! 125 XS in the 4 through wedge and don't know yet with the wedges. Looking forward to this ride. I loved what I saw on TrackMan.

Recoils will be in the irons and wedges by this Friday! 125 XS in the 4 through wedge and don't know yet with the wedges. Looking forward to this ride. I loved what I saw on TrackMan.

Live round thread this Saturday with a play by play? O.K., I'll tune in.............

JM

Dude I love this. You and I have talked a bunch Bout Recoils and my love for them. Technology is legit and your joints will thank you after the round. I'm interested in following this journey

It's always easy for me to blame the equipment instead of my poor swing. I made a snap judgement on the recoils, thinking it was too stiff or whatever. Just early on in the season and my expectations. Really enjoyed hitting the wedge the other day.

Back