Utilities: Love them or leave them?

Jman

Here for the Conversation
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Handicap
SOFTCAPPED
Utilities. Ever the trendy club, and more and more so recently, pretty popular here on the internet.

As I’m beginning to work on the new Hogan UiHi for homepage review (forum thread here: https://www.thehackersparadise.com/...rst-look-ben-hogan-uihi-utility-club.8918607/) and have been gaming a Cobra Forged Tec prior, I wanted to get the opinion of THP’ers.

Do you love the utility irons or leave them? Why?

Hybrids used to be called “utilities”, so in that sense I’m all in. I haven’t tried hitting any of the new utility irons, mostly because of my perception that they’re intended for lower handicappers and thus above my pay grade.

• Staff
Hybrids used to be called “utilities”, so in that sense I’m all in. I haven’t tried hitting any of the new utility irons, mostly because of my perception that they’re intended for lower handicappers and thus above my pay grade.
For this convo, we are talking utility irons and the likes, hybrids are hybrids ;)

My vote is leave them, for the reasons above. I wouldn’t mind trying one at some point just for the fun of it though.

I was torn about buying my Z-U65 since I already the #2 and #3 TE HL4 ironwoods but the price was too good to pass up (and I want to add more Srixon clubs to the bag)...i'll need to take the TE back out for some rounds but I really liked hitting it when it was in the bag with the launcher hb irons.

I’m learning to love mine. It’s a spot in the bag where I’ve not been 100% comfortable with the hybrid and I need something to fill the radars gap. Right now the 21* is working great on longer par3’s and I’m still learning how to hit It from different lies on the course.

• Staff
Utility club! Makes more sense. I came in here thinking "Well, I do like electricity. Who doesn't?"
It’s a golf forum, I tend to make golf topics. :cool:

Leave them.

I find they are only fractionally better than an equally lofted iron, and worse than a hybrid in every way.

I like them in the 4i spot. The only one I found that was easy to hit at lower loft though is the 510u. That thing flies like a 5w.

I've absolutely loved my GAPR mid. It's been a great in between of a hybrid and long iron and fits a gap perfectly. It's become a go to for me.

I very much want to try one.

I’m hoping the Adams DHY will give me a taste of what a utility iron has to offer.

Have a Callaway UT in the 4i spot. Lately I have been hitting it really well. And in the rights conditions it’s a lot better than a 4H at least for me. I’ve have good and bad with it for sure but really learned to slow down my swing with it and it’s been great. I’m still keeping it in the bag for sure.......for now but the 4H is still on standby if needed.

I have always been a better iron player than woods, so I love utility irons, I play three of them and no fairway wood.

I love the way they look but Ive tried them in the past and they werent for me. IMO, they are great if you are a higher swing speed player who wants something that is easier to hit than a traditional long iron but finds that more traditional hybrids balloon on you but they really arent designed for the average person.
Ive played Mizuno MP Fli-Hi utility irons in the past and I love how they look but I dont hit the ball high enough with them. They are great for me on windy days though.

I have the Srixon ZU85 18° 2i in my bag and love it

I use it off the tee when the hole calls for it and hit it from the fairway as well
Also gets used for the punch under trees when I want to try and get some distance to make up for a bad shot previously

I feel that these should only be in the hands of highly skilled players. That took me out at highly.

I am not sold yet completely on the Utility iron thing. Hell, I am still trying to get over the fact that I actually like hitting hybrids. One massive golf personality shift at a time please. :)

I feel that these should only be in the hands of highly skilled players. That took me out at highly.
I’ve seen some mid and mid high cappers use them quite well. Fit is fit.

I love them, but I mostly leave them. At home, that is.

They just mostly end up being reduced to a specific hole, specific tee club, and I use them even less than a hybrid with the same loft/distance.

Only have tried one before and really didn't care for it. Am going to keep an open mind though in putting a UiHi through the paces once it is available through the demo program.

I leave the utilities. I have just not found one that really hits the spot.

Back