Utilities: Love them or leave them?

Utilities often look really nice. I admire the guys who can play them. I’m a hybrid guy.

Love them?
Leave them?
I‘ve never hit one. 😕

Leave them, never had any success with them.

I’ve tried a few and when well struck it’s a thing of beauty but I found them to be too unforgiving and harsh feeling for my taste.

I have a TaylorMade RSi Tour Preferred UDI 2i 18* and absolutely love it. Whenever the driver does not want to cooperate, I hit the 2i and can hit it in the middle of the fairway. I lose some yards compared to the driver, but I'll be safe in the short grass. Very rarely will I hit it off the deck though.

I love the my U510 2 iron. Its fire. Great for so many situations.

I never was a utility guy, love my long irons. But this thing is crazy. Like cheating.

My first exposure was the first Mizuno Flihi back in 2004? Ish.

TBD. I want to love them and have ordered a second to try out but haven't put them in play yet.

I love the my U510 2 iron. Its fire. Great for so many situations.

I never was a utility guy, love my long irons. But this thing is crazy. Like cheating.

My first exposure was the first Mizuno Flihi back in 2004? Ish.
It is like cheating. I hit mine out of fairway bunkers.

I want to love them but I haven’t been able to find one that I love. I started a long time ago with a PRGR club and have had many varieties since then without finding love.

I haven't gamed any of the modern day "utility irons". I did use a 17° driving iron back in the day and I played it alright, but probably because, at that time, I couldn't hit a wood to save my life and I needed something to give me some distance.

I was tossing around the idea of a U85 4 iron a while back, but now that I picked up the Apex 19, I won't go that route with the 4. The 5i might be in trouble, though, if I find a deal on a U85.

AD486684-DB5A-4545-B0BC-33CAAFBE5272.jpeg

🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥

Absolutely love. Especially of the tee.

I can hit the hybrid a few yards further and it is better out of the rough, the down side is I can get a little wild with it similar to fairway wood. The UT iron is automatic, so easy to hit dead straight.

I love them. I leave them in the bag when there is a tight course or its windy out, and when my swing is "on". I use mine more from the tee, so stopping power on approaches is not as much of a concern. I do prefer a hybrid from the fairway or rough, and in general for forgiveness. I rotate hybrids in when playing a course where I need more stopping power, am not as concerned with wind, or when the utility swing goes away.

My problem with utilities is that as an iron replacement there is virtually no incremental forgiveness or improvement for me. Meanwhile a hybrid of the same loft will be much more forgiving and give me 5 or so yards of extra distance.

I love them. Have gone through a couple at the end but it gives me a reliable shot off the tee. For some reason I never got along with hybrids. It’s also a great punch out club for when I’m in the trees.

I definitely prefer fairway woods.

I tried the Srixon Utility, was okay but something that fit into the bag I had at the time. Might actually with with the setup I have right now.

My utility days are in the rear view mirror.

The only ones that I really liked in the last 2-3 years is actually the P790 UDI. Outside of that one, the wide sole of some utilities didn’t really work for me. I may be the anomaly but I’d rather play the set 3 iron.

I have one in the bag, a 3u from Bridgestone. I would bag it anyday over a hybrid, so currently I am in the Love Them category.

It is in the bag for a very specific reason, I can't control a hybrid to save my life. Would rather hit a low screaming punch with a 3u that a hybrid that I have no idea where it is going (unless it is the usual topping of the ball and bouncing down the fairway).

Love them. The one I have has been maybe the most consistent club in my bag.

A bad utility shot is much worse than a bad hybrid shot. I've learned no thanks.

Dave

How could one not want to hit one of these?

653CA4DC-AC58-44FC-88C3-99343E002E30.jpeg

How could one not want to hit one of these?

View attachment 8948008
I have never tried a utility, but would love to give this one a try. Just need to find one that is longer than standard at least 1".

Sent from my XP8800 using Tapatalk

Back