Very strange Rory interview

Yeah, except when I make a similar comment in other threads, suddenly JB shows up to tell me "we don't insult people" and then MWard chimes in that "we don't do that kinda thing here". Saying that all my opinions are "hot takes" is taking a stab. Seems to work for some, but not others. Typical.

Comment will be deleted or JB shows up in 3...2...1...
I had a big long reply to this trying to reason with you, but your opinion and experiences are set in stone. And that is fine with me. Enjoy the forum how you see fit and have a great day.

Yeah, except when I make a similar comment in other threads, suddenly JB shows up to tell me "we don't insult people" and then MWard chimes in that "we don't do that kinda thing here". Saying that all my opinions are "hot takes" is taking a stab. Seems to work for some, but not others. Typical.

Comment will be deleted or JB shows up in 3...2...1...

For what it's worth, JB is busy in California bringing tons of content to the site, but we do have a great mod team that follows the forum closely to make sure people are playing nice.

And to your other comment, I'd say making big time claims on how the minds of some of the greatest athletes of our generations is a pretty hot take (and I don't mean that in any way). If I had that kind of intimate knowledge of these guys I'd be calling it a hot take myself and sharing it with the world.

but we do have a great mod team that follows the forum closely to make sure people are playing nice.

I'm told that if I feel that someone is being unkind, I should not engage, but report. Guess what? Not ONCE have I reported content has there been any visible verification that my report has even been taken seriously. It's usually business as usual. Yet, when I say something that someone else perceives as inappropriate, someone generally comes into the thread with guns blazing. Sometimes not even mods. Do you think it's okay for someone who isn't a mod to come into a thread and say "that's not how we do things here"? What kind of message does that send? Who are these people that think they can tell others in a forum what is and isn't appropriate? If there is a problem, report and let the mod take over. Otherwise, perhaps don't say anything. If the rules are being broken, let a mod intervene.

Sorry, dude, I realize I'm not making many, or any friends for that matter on this site, but it's so one sided it's pretty darn obvious to anyone paying attention. Don't worry, though. Every single internet forum is the same. Every single one. This one isn't that special in that regard. Rather saddening.

Yeah, yeah, "we should get back the topic of the thread".

I don't mind the "no expectations" interview that Rory gave. Golf is a mental game, and if that is his game to place less pressure on himself to win, that's fine.

I like the perspective from him...it will be interesting to see if this mindset helps his golf (less pressure on him) or hurts his golf (less focused on winning golf tournaments). That said, in my opinion it is a healthy mindset to have, so good for him personally.

Last edited:
We hold these guys to such high regard like they are suppose to live their lives different than us, but in the end, its just their jobs. I'd say most people don't value their job more than other things in life.

I don't think anyone whos not actually in the head of the player can possibly think they know why it is they do what they do nor the reasons they say what they say. Even those close and in the inner circle of a person still cant really know these things for 100%. Only the person himself has any of the real reasons. All anyone can ever do is suggest what they themselves "think" may possibly be the reasons. In the end it doesn't affect me nor the price I pay for apples.

His comments could mean he doesn't have the drive he once did but whos to say he always placed golf on top of his most important things in life to begin with? And just maybe he won anyway.

Why does any athlete still play their sport when it no longer really needed to do so? It could be to win, it could be just for love and fun of the game they play, it could be for even more money than they already have. It could be they just simply wouldn't know what else to do.

as for any pro golfer (later in their carrier) ? Golf is something most of us will like to be doing all of our retirement, so why wouldn,t a pro golfer simply keep playing instead of retiring? I mean.... Whats a pro going to do? retire from golf to go get a job?:D

Why does any athlete still play their sport when it no longer really needed to do so? It could be to win, it could be just for love and fun of the game they play, it could be for even more money than they already have. It could be they just simply wouldn't know what else to do.

as for any pro golfer (later in their carrier) ? Golf is something most of us will like to be doing all of our retirement, so why wouldn,t a pro golfer simply keep playing instead of retiring? I mean.... Whats a pro going to do? retire from golf to go get a job?:D

I guess that's the rub, though. If you were independently wealthy, would you still work? Rory never has to swing a Golf club again to live a very rich life. He doesn't ever really need to work, so why bother? If he lost the drive, why even compete? He can enjoy playing Golf with his buddies for the rest of his life without ever entering another competition again.

If it's the competition he loves, then why not strive to win as often as you can? Or at least fake it so his sponsors don't have to worry that they'll have to fulfill a contract with little return. Again, just thinking out loud.

If it's the competition he loves, then why not strive to win as often as you can? Or at least fake it so his sponsors don't have to worry that they'll have to fulfill a contract with little return. Again, just thinking out loud.

Where did Rory say that he is no longer trying to win? Where did Rory say he didn't want to win?

“Look, if I didn’t win another major for the rest of my career, nothing is going to change in my life whether I win one or not.

“Obviously I don’t feel like I’ll have fulfilled my potential. But at the same time, there’s other things in my life that are more important than golf.

“I’d be disappointed, but again, it’s not going to change things. I don’t panic. It doesn’t keep me up at night.”

-Rory Mcilroy

-Rory Mcilroy

You and I will disagree on this, so why do you keep bringing up the same point? That does not sound TO ME like someone who has any motivation left whatsoever. Let's just agree to disagree and move on.

I don't think he's saying that he's not trying to win - just that he's not singularly focused on winning. There's nothing wrong with that, but it's an image that doesn't maximize his value in sports entertainment. I think Patrick Reed would be a great counterexample - someone who seems to totally have his priorities out of whack, but gets a lot of mileage out of his public image.

I guess in my mind if you never have to work another day in your life because you are financially secure for many lifetimes, if you aren't singularly focused on winning, then why bother even competing at the elite level? the Tour life is not easy. Golf for fun is more relaxing if all you are doing is enjoying the game.

Yes, that's MY take. And no, I doubt anyone will change my mind about that.

I guess that's the rub, though. If you were independently wealthy, would you still work? Rory never has to swing a Golf club again to live a very rich life. He doesn't ever really need to work, so why bother? If he lost the drive, why even compete? He can enjoy playing Golf with his buddies for the rest of his life without ever entering another competition again.

Well, just because someone is rich (which is only really a relative term anyway) it doesn't mean there is no more need or thirst for more money. Plenty of very rich people have lost everything vs what they once had. Plus many rich people actually have their money tied up in many different avenues. In their world (to them relatively speaking) there can still be a need and/or desire for more money. Who but him really knows the whats, hows, whys and wheres of his financial workings and how he feels about them. I mean as a pay check to pay check person its not like Im ever feeling bad for one who has made and has millions upon millions in money and assets. But I can understand that the person (in their own world although very different from mine) still may have a need or desire for more. Fwiw there are plenty of very wealthy people who do still work who don't really "need" to at all.

There is a difference big between not wanting to win vs saying if you don't it wont change your life and its not the most important thing. Imo that doesn't mean he doesn't want to win. I can and do understand when you suggest that it "may" mean he wouldn't quite have the same drive towards trying to be the best anymore. But who really knows if he possibly always kind of felt this way anyway yet still won regardless?

And someone can also imo still want to compete yet without placing winning on top of their most importance of things in life. And also he may actually work hard to compete anyway even though he said what he said regardless. we just don't know. Or....he may simply enjoy playing and competing just enough to earn and be part of the tour without trying to dominate a thing. Again, we just don't know any of this really. Or....maybe he will one day soon decide to hang it up or just complete less often.

The man travels the world to play golf for a living. Maybe he will just be content and enjoy staying in the mix or even playing less. Why do that if your not working your hardest to try to win everything (if that's what he is even doing)? Well....all I can say to answer that question is ....why not?

I understand what you're saying.

However, the rich strive to be more rich and many will do just about anything to attain more wealth. I have never met a very wealthy person who would say, "if I never make more money again, I'd be okay with that. It wouldn't change my life at all." It is always about more, not less.

One thing that was interesting too, was the things that were said in the Golf Channel segment I linked. Do people here think he owes it to himself to want to win more because of how talented he is? Is his talent going to waste, so to speak, by him just laying back? Serious question.

However, the rich strive to be more rich and many will do just about anything to attain more wealth. I have never met a very wealthy person who would say, "if I never make more money again, I'd be okay with that. It wouldn't change my life at all." It is always about more, not less.
not sure where he would have said any of that per say. If your suggesting that by saying winning wouldn't change his life to then mean he doesn't care about more money, then just maybe he happens to be a person who doesn't really care for more. But maybe he also has other avenues to income with investments and/or other business anyway. May be he continbues to play not for a ton of money nor for the thrill of winning all he plays. But maybe he'll just enjoy being in the mix enough. We can all continue to speculate anything we want to as for just what his meanings are and just what he will do and why. He will compete as he wishes and for whatever the reasons he decides to. And we can spend eternity trying to figure out his true inner thoughts and as much as it may strike our curiosities we can never really know for certain.

Last edited:
You and I will disagree on this, so why do you keep bringing up the same point? That does not sound TO ME like someone who has any motivation left whatsoever. Let's just agree to disagree and move on.
Because you are misrepresenting what Rory said. At this point, I think you're doing it intentionally.

What's being missed in all of this, we don't know the question he was asked! That's the context that is sorely lacking. We have not heard or seen the full interview.

To be fair...I think anyone of us who puts a definite meaning to what he said could all be misinterpreting him. Because none of us truly can know just where and what his exact feelings are but can only speculate what they mean. People also do say things all the time that doesn't quite come out of their mouth the way they actually meant. Then we read in between the lines to make it fit whatever we feel may make sense of it. So honestly none of us may be really correct about any of it. His quotes could actually mean a whole lot and yet could also mean little to nothing.

Because you are misrepresenting what Rory said. At this point, I think you're doing it intentionally.

What's being missed in all of this, we don't know the question he was asked! That's the context that is sorely lacking. We have not heard or seen the full interview.

"It's been 4 years since your last major... is that something that stresses you out?"

I'm not misrepresenting anything. It is MY view on his comments. I am not doing it intentionally.

You can't seem to let this go. Agree to disagree and move on. This is now the 2nd time I'm saying it, too.

"It's been 4 years since your last major... is that something that stresses you out?"
Is that the actual question he was responding to? If so, perfectly reasonable response.

Is that the actual question he was responding to? If so, perfectly reasonable response.

Yep, that's what he was asked point blank before he gave the answer.

I’m fine with it. He understands that his playing doesn’t define his entire person. It’s not like he isn’t going to continue to play or work hard he just isn’t going to let it weigh him down. What about Lorena Ochoa she retired after a relatively short career where she was at or near the top of the game when she walked away. He gets to define what is successful for him. Yes as a kid he did say he wants to be the greatest of all time, but as a kid I thought I was going to be a professional baseball player that didn’t work out but to say I’m not sastified with my life would be wrong. I know I didn’t have the pedigree that Rory did but the idea is there. He’s going to keep playing and if more majors come great but he understands it’s not the end all be all.

One thing that was interesting too, was the things that were said in the Golf Channel segment I linked. Do people here think he owes it to himself to want to win more because of how talented he is? Is his talent going to waste, so to speak, by him just laying back? Serious question.

Wealth is not defined by money for lots of people.

Also, as competitive as Rory is on a golf course, he's had a pretty interesting relationship with golf. At no point would I ever have put him on the "tiger" level of win or bust. I'm not really sure anything has changed with him, actually.

Back