Viktor Hovland thoughts on Professional Golf, agree or disagree?

It is easy to agree with a lot of what he said.

If Hovland says the tour tends to treat them like labor, imagine what the rank and file guys feel like. Perhaps Jay has the tour feeling like a Nike sweat shop like job, but with slightly better pay and clean money.

Pretty interesting article here, and I think Viktor has said it the best of anyone so far...

- Doesnt blame golfers decision to leave PGA Tour for LIV.
- Pointless to criticize players for leaving PGA for LIV, it's a lot of money and poor management by PGA.
- Isnt complaining about the position he is in on the PGA Tour, but blames poor management for the situation.
- Decisions not in the best interest of the golfers.
- PGA is better golf, moving to LIV wont make him a better golfer.
- PGA competition and format is superior.
t
I think he said it the best of anyone so far, really makes me appreciate Hovy more than I have in the past. I'll be cheering for him.

I saw that. What stood out to me was his referring to PGAT management as "arrogant". The same could be said for the USGA.

I’ve got to agree with Viktor! The arrogance of the PGA tour is much like the NFL, but with a fraction of the market share

I saw that. What stood out to me was his referring to PGAT management as "arrogant". The same could be said for the USGA.
Even moreso the USGA, I would say.

I’ve got to agree with Viktor! The arrogance of the PGA tour is much like the NFL, but with a fraction of the market share

I would say it's significantly worse than the NFL. In the NFL you have franchises which can still compete with each other to drive up salaries, there is also a player's union

On the PGA tour even Billy Horschel ended up admitting the board had no real power other than to make suggestions, and there's no franchises. From the sounds of it a small handful of people made every decision.

I understand that people don't feel bad for millionaires as some have pointed out. But someone is getting that money, i'd rather the players get it then just tour management deciding they need to buy more land so they can have a 36th TPC course and increase their property assets

I think the comments carry more weight coming from somebody like Hovland, who's pretty calm and rational and not known for histrionics. Coming from a known hothead it would be more likely to come off as just another rant or one more thing in a long list of things they're whiny about.

I think he's spot on.... Although I do love the team aspect of LIV. I think it's a fun wrinkle, especially for those not in the hunt for the tournaments.

Opinions are always proffered but depends on where your starting ..
In Hovlands case clearly very successfully … a very very good golfer . Financially and currently at the apex . Would he be so critical if he were less so successful?

What ever you opinion on golf each of the seperate and united tours have strengths and weakness’s.
Only when they actually sit down and harvest the very best of what each offers will the game grow in a united fashion .
Will we have a undeniable improvement

Don’t really know how true this is, I enjoy watching Mr.Shortgame on YouTube listening to his Podcast. On his latest Podcast he mentions that Hovland is being courted big time by Martin Kaymer and Liv w/a stake in ownership group too and that it’s probably going to happen. Just passing along what he stated from his sources.

Opinions are always proffered but depends on where your starting ..
In Hovlands case clearly very successfully … a very very good golfer . Financially and currently at the apex . Would he be so critical if he were less so successful?
I think he'd be even more critical if he was less successful. The current PGAT format panders strongly to the top players, the rich get richer. Hovland is high enough in the hierarchy to benefit from that, a guy who's straddling the cut line every week isn't.

I think he'd be even more critical if he was less successful. The current PGAT format panders strongly to the top players, the rich get richer. Hovland is high enough in the hierarchy to benefit from that, a guy who's straddling the cut line every week isn't.
I fully agree , and that what l was intimating at lol .

Well he’s not wrong. Pretty well said and I bet he said it with a smile 😆

I always knew I liked the cut of his jib

I love his take and I think this young man could do amazing things. He certainly has the temperament and composure to do well.

Two things about his comments strike me:

Viktor is one of the most likable and easiest to root for guy on Tour. For someone like that with his amount of success say these things speaks volumes to me about how the Tour is managed.

And not one player that I’ve seen so far has come out with a statement disagreeing with anything he’s said regarding management.

He very calmly said the quiet part out loud.

Back