Those are really lightly finished for the black ones. Are you sure you didn't treat them or do anything with them? I don't think those little bumps will cause any problems for performance and may in fact help, but those clubs look to have been altered somehow. Did you buy them from someone else or something?

Those are really lightly finished for the black ones. Are you sure you didn't treat them or do anything with them? I don't think those little bumps will cause any problems for performance and may in fact help, but those clubs look to have been altered somehow. Did you buy them from someone else or something?

No I bought them from a well known retailer. I’ll try take it further but it’s not something I’m going to get too annoyed about, there are bigger issues in life. No never touched with anything and if I did it would have been a coke bath.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thats not the kind of response I would expect from Titleist. Really disappointing.

I think what has disheartened me most is I’m a Titleist fan, built up a collection of Scotty Cameron’s and part of the Cameron club but the first time I need Titleist’s help it’s a slap in the face almost.

That sounds double swervy, imo. I do feel for you, mate.

I wouldn't be happy at all, and I'm not a fan - I can imagine you feel pretty let down after all your money that's gone their way in the past.

I'd be making a bit of a song and dance out of this if I were in your shoes.

yea that is a crap response. Sounds like 'hey sorry this happened and we were going to replace them completely but have come up with a loop hole so screw you.' That is how that written response sounds to me. I might have to rethink even buying the SM7's now. I had my eye on them for next years purchase when they drop to 99/club but now I'm thinking I'll get 3 from another brand. WOW. Just horrible in my opinion. They ignored the real issue and went straight to the finish.

I have seen those marks before on a SC putter that was stripped.

Regardless of that, I am pretty surprised by the response.

I've only had to us their CS only once and that was with a putter and got it resolved. Thinking, is it possible that some lawn chemicals (fertilizer and other stuff) might have caused those small pits since this was a raw version wedge??

Don't like the response - too bureaucratic and impersonal. They should have asked for your phone number and had a conversation with you, asked questions, and taken a personal approach. If the customer says I did nothing to it other than water and a towel, then help the customer.

I’m not surprised at all. I thoughts you used a substance on them as well.

I've only had to us their CS only once and that was with a putter and got it resolved. Thinking, is it possible that some lawn chemicals (fertilizer and other stuff) might have caused those small pits since this was a raw version wedge??

I’m thinking maybe it was a chemical on a course has done it

Wow, that is quite the opposite of what I expected given the OP's insistence that no chemicals were applied. I mean, those people know their stuff at Titleist and know their product, there has to be some reason they'd say a substance was applied to cause that damage and void the warranty. I'm really curious what kind of chemical would do something like this, because I'd have to imagine anything applied on a golf course that can chew pores in metal would not be friendly to grass or people.

Surprised at the response and the wording of the letter. I think I would get in touch and make sure they realize what you where talking about. Good luck with further CS issues.

Sorry to keep bothering everyone but some may be interested. I have been in touch with Titleist and in particular the gentleman who wrote to me. They believe as there is no finish on the hozel I must have been the cause for the finish being removed. They asked how it could have been removed and I replied and they failed to answer me, I re-sent the message again to get a reply for why the holes appeared and that’s it. I don’t know where to go but I must be barking up the wrong tree.

Sorry to keep bothering everyone but some may be interested. I have been in touch with Titleist and in particular the gentleman who wrote to me. They believe as there is no finish on the hozel I must have been the cause for the finish being removed. They asked how it could have been removed and I replied and they failed to answer me, I re-sent the message again to get a reply for why the holes appeared and that’s it. I don’t know where to go but I must be barking up the wrong tree.

Call Drew, tall redheaded guy, at Vokey WedgeWorks. Tell him you're on THP, you remember about the Titleist Vokey Weekend, read the thread (hopefully), and wanted to reach out.

They can say what they want. Those are casting flaws. Sometimes you'll get little holes just like that in the casting process. There is no chemical short of acid that'll eat through metal like that.

They can say what they want. Those are casting flaws. Sometimes you'll get little holes just like that in the casting process. There is no chemical short of acid that'll eat through metal like that.

They were soaked in Coke. That removes the finish and would eat those things out of the metal. I feel bad for you OP, but I think this is owner error and not an issue with Titleist clubs.

They were soaked in Coke. That removes the finish and would eat those things out of the metal. I feel bad for you OP, but I think this is owner error and not an issue with Titleist clubs.

OP says on first page - about 6 or so posts in, that he did not soak these in Coke, although they don't look black - and the Vokey Black is very black - it looks like something was used to strip the black. But something looks very wrong ... the dimples? Weird.

Even if they were, we know Coke won't eat metal. So what is it you think the Coke, which the OP says he didn't do, would have eaten out of the metal? How bout casting sand? AKA casting flaw. Should have been caught in QC, not sprayed with a black coating and sent out the door.

Bottom line is the OP says he didn't use any chemicals on it, including Coke.

I can guarantee that nothing not even coke was used on them. Their explanation for the holes is as follows,

“Regarding the holes in the head, this will be caused from where the iron
has oxidised on the head. Which will caused air pockets from where there
is no protection from the raw metal with a finish”

Even if I had put them in a coke, is it a flaw in the metal that the holes appeared? If this is the case why have a raw finish as surely this would always happen.

I think you'd have more of a case if they WERE all bought at the same time from the same batch etc.(you said they weren't). The fact that they weren't would usually point to nurture over nature for the crux of the problem. Do people at your course who play raw or stripped wedges observe something similar? Regardless of the fault I feel for you OP, Titleist may or may not be in the wrong here, but they are missing an opportunity to go above and beyond.

I can guarantee that nothing not even coke was used on them. Their explanation for the holes is as follows,

“Regarding the holes in the head, this will be caused from where the iron
has oxidised on the head. Which will caused air pockets from where there
is no protection from the raw metal with a finish”

Even if I had put them in a coke, is it a flaw in the metal that the holes appeared? If this is the case why have a raw finish as surely this would always happen.

If they are trying to say this is pitting from oxidation I can say from my experiences with vintage tools that it takes way longer and doesn’t look anything like your pics.

Since we only have your pictures to go by, they appear to have no finish at all. Are you saying this is the way you got them brand new or did they have the black finish that everyone is presuming? If it's the latter, you have no case, since something stripped the finish (at least that's how it appears in you pics). If it's the former, someone stripped them before you bought them and again, no case.

Beyond that, I can't understand why anyone would buy a raw club in the first place and then complain that's it pitting, rusting, etc. They still work, right? Buy chromed wedges if you want pretty.

Last edited:
I hate to call anyone a liar but that’s not a black SM7 that hasn’t been treated .

Something just isn’t adding up because they are either

A: knock offs

B: been stripped

C: no clue

But that definitely is not a stealth black finished SM7 that hasn’t been touched.

Back