Walkers: Steps per round?

JetSpeed

Reaction score
Handicap
For those with Apple Watches/fitbits/etc. how many steps are you averaging per round walking? I walk every round but don’t wear any devices so I can only guess. I figure it is somewhere around 10k but I’ve heard others quote much higher numbers. What are you getting?

For those with Apple Watches/fitbits/etc. how many steps are you averaging per round walking? I walk every round but don’t wear any devices so I can only guess. I figure it is somewhere around 10k but I’ve heard others quote much higher numbers. What are you getting?
It’s somewhere right around 5k per nine for me so I’m guessing you are right on target?

Not a direct answer to the question but at my home course I can easily expect 5-6k riding.

I'm always in the neighborhood of 10K steps for 18 holes.

Some of it is going to depend on how well the course is laid out for walking. I could see it being a lot more than 10K on some courses that have long walks from green to next tee box.

It depends on the golfer. A low HI will walk fewer steps than a high HI. For example, I play the senior tees, and can get a good 9,000 yards in from the 5100 yard tees, lol.

Generally 13k for me - we have one long walk between 9’s
It’s amazing how poorly some courses are set up for walkers. Everyone I play with rides. There are a few holes where I try to putt out first and get a head start but it’s still a pain.

‘Just tee off when you get there and I’ll catch up!”

IMG_0523.gif

Btw auto correct tried to change “putt out” to “put out”.

That would have raised a few eyebrows 😂

10-11k or so for 18 holes

Oddly I'm close to that amount when riding also

10k-12k is normal for 18.

I noticed my Shot Scope was about 10900 last time.

15K for army golf!

Around 10,000 on my Shot Scope.

It’s amazing how poorly some courses are set up for walkers. Everyone I play with rides. There are a few holes where I try to putt out first and get a head start but it’s still a pain.

‘Just tee off when you get there and I’ll catch up!”

View attachment 9251000
My club has two courses. The one that was built first was designed as a walker's course and is pretty ideal for it, tee boxes are close to previous greens and there are shortcuts for walkers that allow you to get there as quickly (or quicker) than carts. I'm often already on the next tee box and getting ready to hit by the time the carts pull up.

The second course (built a few years later) is a little more spread out, has a few longer walks from green to tee box, and the bathrooms are situated in weird out of the way spots that make them inconvenient for walkers. There's about a 1/4 mile walk between 6 and 7, where you have to cross a main street in town, and then the walk back to the clubhouse after #18 is almost a 5 minute walk. Even though it's a shorter course yardage-wise, it's a longer walk than the other course just because of the design.

Usually between 8-11k the times I’ve walked

I get over 5000 steps and I ride.

I’m usually close to 8mi when I walk my course. It’s got a gross gap between 9&10 tee that absolutely pads that number a bit or else it’d be closer to 7.

For reference - walking in a straight line is around 1800 - 2000 steps per mile for adults. I'm 6'1" and am closer to 1800. Wife is 5'6" - she gets more like 2000.

Last edited:
For reference - walking in a straight line is around 180 - 200 steps per mile for adults. I'm 6'1" and am closer to 180. Wife is 5'6" - she gets more like 200.
Interesting. I’m assuming you mean 1800-2000 though? Because otherwise those are some impressively big steps.

I would have thought somewhere around 10K as well. I don't track my steps all that much but when i used to have that feature, it was usually around that

Yeah with a consistent step of 30” that’s 2112 steps per mile.

Interesting. I’m assuming you mean 1800-2000 though? Because otherwise those are some impressively big steps.
Ha! yes - i was going off the tenth of a mile that we counted one day. I'll correct the post. Thanks.

I gotta be honest here guys. This thread is not going well. I was really hoping to hear some 20-30k numbers. 10k is a much less impressive excuse to give my wife for why I can’t do anything when I get home from golf.

“I can’t help with dishes and laundry right now, I’m googling the price for in-home calf massages! Leave me be woman!”

I walk 9 holes several times a week in the summer. It’s close to 8k steps for me.

Back when I wore a Garmin tracker, my golf rounds were consistently give or take a few hundred steps of 13,600 per round. My tracker broke a year or so ago and I haven't replaced it.

At the low end on my home course I can do a full 18 holes with only 12,700 steps but that would be playing by myself and hitting the ball really straight with no detours into the woods or whatever. Very rare.

Playing with a foursome who are spraying the ball all over the place, helping look for balls and so forth, it can range as high as 14,300 steps. Fortunately, also rare.

But day in, day out, right around the mid-13,000's.

Back