Walking 18 holes carrying the bag. What was I thinking?

Do you have a link to that study?
That is fascinating to me and I would like to read it.

EDIT: I am guessing you mean this one.

http://www.thewalkinggolfer.com/benefits_of_walking/physical.html

That looks like the one. I first saw this about a year ago, and I don't remember the details, only the proportions of calories used. I was surprised to find that riding still used a fair amount energy. I guess that you are still doing some walking, and you still hit the ball as many times (in my case these days, usually too many).

First question, how old are you? (I'm 43)

Second question, are you crazy, man??? :wink:

Please, get that push-cart. I like the walk but the effort necessary to carry, not to mention the stress caused to my lower back, makes it a no-go for me. Using a push-cart though, takes barely more effort than walking just by your lonesome.

Seriously... for those that carry, more power to 'ya. I really give you credit. But even with the advancements in straps and carrying tech, the undo stresses caused to the body (for us older guys especially) to carry, are too risky imo. I'm an avid weightlifter and general fitness buff, very strong for my size and age. But carrying is out of the question for me. I'm a sissy, I guess. :smile-big:

I'm 41 yrs old and in good shape. I don't jog or workout but my day job keeps me in pretty good shape. And I'm not a big guy. 5'9 170 lbs.

I always get a bit burnt by 15 or 16, especially on the hilly courses. I like the push carts for the simple fact that I don't have to pick up the bag and move it when I only hit the ball 20 yards at a time. Much more efficient.

Lol. Good one Hawk.

Get yourself a lighter bag and walk more. I've found the more I walk the easier it get. Great to get yourself in shape and enjoy the game a little more

Tapatalk... Loved by me hated by the wife.

yep. i totally agree

I like to walk when I play, but I am about to get a push cart. I am a mailman and walk about 14 miles on my route carrying a mailbag all day - I don't mind the extra walking on the course, I just want to get the weight off my back.

I'm walking 18 tomorrow for the first time in a long time. At the home of the 2011 U.S. Amateur and 2017 U.S. Open. I did push my bag for nine holes a couple times last year. I'm not carrying, and they don't allow push carts, so caddie it is. I do walk 18 following my daughter, and have put in a number of rounds doing that so far this year. Those usually mean a walk way out as most events are shotgun starts. I usually start to feel pretty gassed about 14 or 15. It's going to be interesting to see what I have left at the end.

If I don't post tomorrow night, that means I either collapsed or got very, very, very tired. I'm glad I've lost the weight I have since getting into TMC.

Kevin

Walking has helped me to get fitter and shed a few pounds.

I normally walk with my pull cart when I play 9 holes but have never walked 18 holes. I'd like to try walking and carrying my bag. I'd have to start out with 9 holes and see where it takes me from there. I can guarantee that my asthma won't like me too much when I finally get around to doing it.

Maybe in 3 more weeks I'll give it a shot when I can get back on the course again...

Walking

Walking

I walk and carry as often as I can. There's just something about walking a course that I love. When I play alone (most of the time) I walk 90% of the time.

I just picked up a Ping Hoofer C-1 bag and some True Tours and both of those have made the walking much more enjoyable. I also keep my bag pretty light - so that probably helps as well.

I've got to share some info I learned from my other hobby: road cycling. When I was training for the Hotter than Hell 100 mile ride, I would routinely ride hard for 4 hours in the Texas heat. These things made that possible - along with hydration and sports drinks. I would take 3 every 45 minutes and it totally prevented cramping and other heat issues. I swear by them. (no connection to the company).

http://www.amazon.com/Trace-Mineral...ef=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1309900812&sr=8-1-spell

For golf, I take 3 before I go out along with a big glass of water. 3 more at the turn and I drink water as fast as I can put it in my body for the entire round. I walked nine yesterday from 1 to 3pm. Temp. was about 102. Yes, it was hot and I was tired, but not dead. I scored well too.

I mix up walking and riding depending on who I'm playing with.

Another observation: My ability to walk without getting tired jumped up a BUNCH about 4 weeks after I started playing tennis. I would practice tennis about twice a week for an hour. It really helped.

BTW, I'm 50 and in pretty good shape - good, not great!
Enjoy. Hope it helps.

Always walk. Means i can go where i want and don't have to stick to tracks and paths!!

Doing a days golf for a cancer charity in a couple of weeks with a couple of mates. That will involve us doing 72 holes in one day. A couple of the holes are up massive hills so not exactly relishing climbing them four times. Should be a good laugh though and it's for a good cause.

I walk as often as possible, but I don't carry. Got me a Clickgear 3.0 pushcart and my game doesn't lag the last 5 or 6 holes now

I walk every round I play, but have given up carrying or using a pull trolley after trapping my sciatic nerve last year that put me off work for 6 weeks. I've now bought a Motocaddy S1 electric trolley which gives me the health benefits of walking with the ease of not having to carry/pull.

I rarely ever ride, always walk with a push trolley (at my course you are NOT allowed to carry...go figure...weirdo's), but I played a flat course recently when travelling and walked carrying for my first time ever, I loved it, I found it quite calming. I have walked 3 times since, once on a hilly course, must admit it was a little harder than the flat track, but I find it easier (on the flat) to walk carrying rather than pushing...BTW...I am not fit :) But I do like to walk :)

I hate riding when playing as I really struggle to get in to the rhythm for my swing.
I also spend a lot of the time walking up to my ball thinking about the shot I am about to play which I can't do as easily when driving a buggy.
I use a pencil bag for evening rounds and have an electric trolley for competitions. I still prefer carrying but am carrying a bit too much of my own excess baggage these days to manage 18 comfortably :smirk:
The worst types of buggy use are those courses where you have to stick to the paths at the side of the fairway so you end up spending half the round walking sideways across the course carrying a selection of clubs in your hands.

I'm a walker as well and always carry my bag. I've never liked pull carts just don't look right but as I'm getting older I'm thinking hmmm those things sure look handy:) I live in Florida so the humidity and heat really can sap your strength but I try anyways. Our course is really hilly 225 ft elevation drops on some holes so big climbs.

When I first started walking it was so hard but after about 4 rounds got used to it and the feet didn't hurt legs etc. It's tough to start as back nine gets tougher as you tire out but once you build stamina really good. It keeps you focused as you can stay loose and limber as well as think about shot see pin etc.

I almost always walk and carry the last few years. When I first started, I was definitely fading a little on the back but the last couple of years this hasn't been an issue at all. I find in general I play better when I walk but just because of waiting for the people in front but when I hit a bad shot it gives me time to forget it, relax and then get ready to focus again when I get to the ball instead of being right on top of the ball again when riding in a cart.

Back